[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rookie Values for Dynasty Leagues. Chime in

wolfpax

You guys discussing dynasty strategies - are you in dynasty leagues with other huddlers? If so, are you actually detailing your true thoughts on players and rankings? If you answered yes to the above, WHY?

Why not?

My opinion doesn't weigh with anyone, nor am I giving away strategy. Any opinion about these players amounts to nothing more than total speculation on all of our parts. It's the meat and potatoes of dynasty leagues for all I care.

:thinking:

Or am I actually sending everyone else down a spiral of deception????

:tinfoilhat:

Edited by godtomsatan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Blackmon's landing spot a bit better than Floyd's, even though I like Floyd a shade better as a WR. That sounds odd given Jax's QB situation, but JAX will be behind in a lot of games and Blackmon - unless he falls flat on his face, which I don't see happening - is clearly the top target on the team. That spells a ton of opportunity early on. Floys on the other hand will get to learn from Fitz, which shouldn't be underestimated,but also has to compete with him for targets. I don't care how good Floyd is, he'll still be WR2 on that team, and that means less chances. And there's no way AZ is going to win by letting a QB like Kolb target his 2 outside WRs 300+ times. Fitz will get his, which leaves lesser opportunity for Floyd.

Agreed. I also think Gabbert won't be nearly so awful this year with some true weapons and a year of experience. He was like a deer in headlights last year, but he has the physical tools to turn that around and now he has the helper tools to enable him.

Wright landed in a great spot for him, since he likely moves immediately opposite Britt in TEN and he ought to get plenty of opportunity to do what he does best, which is seperate quickly in tight spaces and then run after the catch. Completely different WR than Britt, and in this case they ought to complement each other well. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him get 10 to 15 more targets a year than Floyd in the foreseeable future.

Also agree, and even more compelling is that Britt is coming off an injury so they might need Wright even more if he's slow getting back to speed.

Couldn't hate Jeffrey's spot more. A cold-weather team with a hot/cold QB that just added his old running buddy from DEN in an offense run by a guy that project zero confidence. Wow. This was a guy I love in terms of physical talent, but he's now ruined for me.

No RB jumps out at me yet, although Pead is intriguing. You know he'll get a few games by himself with SJax's history, and he has a chance to show whether or not he can be a primary before they draft SJax's heir. Worst case he runs a role like Best did last year and can be a low-end RB2 or mid-2 in PPR.

But dynasty, I think people are looking at situation too much, or rather short-term situation. If Gabbert doesn't show some real improvement this year, and is running around like a scared little girl, they're not gonna hesitate to find someone else. Also, their OC is gone, so who knows what direction their offense might begin heading as MJD fades into the sunset.

Great point.

The WR who inherited the best situation of anyone is likely Brian Quick. Does anyone know anything about him? Is he a 3 year project or is he ready to play now? There's not much standing in his way if he's any good but know squat about him.

The WR who inherited the best situation of anyone is likely Brian Quick. Does anyone know anything about him? Is he a 3 year project or is he ready to play now? There's not much standing in his way if he's any good but know squat about him.

He's ready to play now. Not sure he's ready to be an all-pro right now.

Bumping this with the news that the Rams view Pead as the successor to SJax. Think everyone assumed Pead would be a 3rd down/complimentary back. Fisher had no problem feeding the rock to a similar sized back in Chris Johnson in Tennessee. So how far up the dynasty rankings does this shoot Pead?

Bumping this with the news that the Rams view Pead as the successor to SJax. Think everyone assumed Pead would be a 3rd down/complimentary back. Fisher had no problem feeding the rock to a similar sized back in Chris Johnson in Tennessee. So how far up the dynasty rankings does this shoot Pead?

to high, from what I have read, just don't "see" it

Quick's upside is a NFL WR2, and he's surrounded by a bunch of other NFL WR2/WR3s. Not seeing how this is favorable to him.

Quick's upside is a NFL WR2, and he's surrounded by a bunch of other NFL WR2/WR3s. Not seeing how this is favorable to him.

I'm not sold on Quick being the next TO or Colston or even Plaxico Burress, but you're downplaying his potential.

He was drafted at the top end of the 2nd Round by a team that desperately needs a WR playmaker, who opted for him over much more lauded draftnik talents like Hill, Jeffrey, and Randle. He's got big-time size (6'3"/220) and big-time on-field speed (watch his highlights). The major knock on him (other than the FCS talent dropoff) is his route-running, which some scouts attribute to the fact he's never had a true position coach and a new OC at AppSt. each year he was there. He played one year of high school football before going to college.

I agree he's likely raw, and I'm not certain what to make of his long-term potential at this point, but considering Steve Smith, Danny Amendola, Danario Alexander, and Brandon Gibson are his top veteran competition for getting on the field as a WR1 from his first day in camp, I'd give him a little better odds to make a bit more of an impact than a NFL WR2.

No one is saying Keuchly is a bad player, or that he won't start. He'll step right in as CAR's MLB We're discussing his FF value. When starting, Beason and Anderson both average 135 tackles a season. How does Kuechly put up numbers that make him a FF LB1 under those circumstances? And if Davis is there, he'll rotate in situationally, and when healthy he is a very good tackler.

I don't see how Kuechly manages to justify being a top 6 pick in an IDP league knowing that.

He went 1.5 in our rookie draft. I thought it was a bit high but hard to complain about this kid as he is a machine. IMO, the pick may have a signaled a move to 3-4 defense. I would also not immediately assume he moves to MLB out of the gate. A lot depends on Beason. Still he is the only LB worthy of a first round rookie dynasty pick.

Offense.

I have had Brian Quick as the second best dynasty WR prospect for some time by a fairly wide margin. While he may be a little raw at this point, he actually projects much better as a true WR #1 than the big name WR's in this class. He has no stiffness in the hips IMO and is fearless in attacking the football. If he can learn to run routes and read the defenses like Blackmon as an example, in 3 years he could easily be the class of this draft. His tape is outstanding. Going to the Rams is icing on the cake. He will play a ton as a rookie and is a fast developing talent.

I just moved Derrick Johnson and a 4th next year to draft him at 1.10. I was fortunate to be deep enough at LB to trade for him. He should be ready to replace one of my current studs within 3 years.

Edited by Ice1

he was drafted at the top end of the 2nd round by a team that desperately needs a WR playmaker

You mean kind of like Donnie Avery? And like Avery, I see a kid who lit up the combine but was virtually untested against top college competition, and eventually showed us he was overmatched in the pros.

You mean kind of like Donnie Avery? And like Avery, I see a kid who lit up the combine but was virtually untested against top college competition, and eventually showed us he was overmatched in the pros.

Different era, different coach.

Quick's game is far closer to that of Britt as an example. His body frame is far more like TO or Fitz coming out of college. Avery played in DI ball and excelled but simply couldn't stay healthy. He was a small WR at around 5'10 maybe 5'11' on a good day and 180 pounds.

The only thing similar about these two from any comparative perspective is the helmets look identical.

If your league weights TEs with any extra points relative to WRs, then Fleener could be a good snag, late, especially if your team is weak or aged at the position. Thanks to him being drafted along with Luck, I see him being involved in the offense, quicker.

When I compared Quick to Avery, it was a reference to a team overeacting to a great combine by taking them too high - same team no less - and then FFers subsequently overreacting to the position in the draft they were taken and the appearance of opportunity to be a clear cut WR1.

And using Britt, TO, and Fitz as bases of comparison for Quick? Seriously?

When I compared Quick to Avery, it was a reference to a team overeacting to a great combine by taking them too high - same team no less - and then FFers subsequently overreacting to the position in the draft they were taken and the appearance of opportunity to be a clear cut WR1.

And using Britt, TO, and Fitz as bases of comparison for Quick? Seriously?

Maybe you missed the part "Body Type".. Time will tell but I don't see this pick as an overreaction.

I just have to ask, David. Would starting a rookie QB and then not being able to protect him, and then having Mike Thomas as your WR1 have something to do with their poor showing? I'm not saying that Blackmon will catapault JAX into GB/NE territory, but given that he has literally no competition for WR1, and that they'll be behind a lot (read: throwing the ball a ton in the 2nd half of games), doesn't that create some opportunity that other rookie WRs in this class might nort have?

Quarterbacks make the receivers, not the other way around. Gabbert had the worst stats of any NFL QB and yet was supported by one of the league's best rushing games. In 2010, David Garrard passed for 2734 yards and 23 touchdowns over 13 games played. Second year player Mike Thomas turned in 66-820-7 that year. Mike Sims-Walker produced 43-562-7 and Marcedes Lewis had 58-700-10.

With Gabbert, Mike Thomas regressed back to 44-415-1 which was just under what he had done as a rookie. Marcedes Lewis regressed back to 39-460-ZERO. No other receiver had more than 367 yards on the season. Unless you think Mike Sims-Walker was something special, then Gabbert had the same receivers that Garrard did with a mere 11 touchdowns and 500 pass yards fewer though Gabbert played two more full games than Garrard (who was nothing special himself).

It wasn't that Gabbert was hamstrung with bad receivers. His receivers were not stellar admittedly but Thomas was an up and comer that was derailed when he could only catch 44 of the 91 passes thrown to him. Lewis was a decent tight end until he had Gabbert threw him 89 passes but he could only catch 39. Gabbert completed right at 50% overall for the year. His stats were deplorable in almost every game. When an NFL quarterback cannot throw for over 200 yards, he is below average. When he cannot throw for more than 150 yards in a game, he's in the company of the bigger flops ever for QB. Gabbert was unable to eclipse 150 yards in nine of his 15 games. In four games, he could not produce over 97 passing yards and that is a red flag of epic proportions. Gabbert lost 11 games - he was always needing to throw last year and it did not matter. He was sacked 40 times - four from the lead and yet he passed far less than most other QBs.

His 65.4 QB rating was the worst in the league, below Curtis Painter, John Skelton, etc. Even Tim Tebow had a 72.9 rating.

He was the worst using any measurement really. And his receiving corps is by no means the primary reason. Assumedly he improves some this year and Blackmon has to help, but he has a long way to go to embrace mere mediocrity. Pretty much anything he does this year will be better because he was the worst last year. Giving him the best WR in the draft is not going to make him a better passer or more adept at reading defenses.

You can compare the draft position by the same team for Avery and Quick, and the non-BCS conference college pedigree, and after that it stops. They are not the same size, they do not play the same style, and they do not offer the same attributes. Quick didn't light it up at the combine, he actually had a very mediocre workout if you judge by the numbers. He was drafted right about where he was slotted to go by the draftniks.

I'm all for the red flags you bring up, they are legit, but the guy has a clear path to be the #1 in STL. He's also got the physical size and attributes to be a #1. Whether he has the rest of the refined stuff in his game is a whole other question, and one that we're not going to find out until he has pads on and plays a bit at this level.

Quarterbacks make the receivers, not the other way around. Gabbert had the worst stats of any NFL QB and yet was supported by one of the league's best rushing games. In 2010, David Garrard passed for 2734 yards and 23 touchdowns over 13 games played. Second year player Mike Thomas turned in 66-820-7 that year. Mike Sims-Walker produced 43-562-7 and Marcedes Lewis had 58-700-10.

With Gabbert, Mike Thomas regressed back to 44-415-1 which was just under what he had done as a rookie. Marcedes Lewis regressed back to 39-460-ZERO. No other receiver had more than 367 yards on the season. Unless you think Mike Sims-Walker was something special, then Gabbert had the same receivers that Garrard did with a mere 11 touchdowns and 500 pass yards fewer though Gabbert played two more full games than Garrard (who was nothing special himself).

It wasn't that Gabbert was hamstrung with bad receivers. His receivers were not stellar admittedly but Thomas was an up and comer that was derailed when he could only catch 44 of the 91 passes thrown to him. Lewis was a decent tight end until he had Gabbert threw him 89 passes but he could only catch 39. Gabbert completed right at 50% overall for the year. His stats were deplorable in almost every game. When an NFL quarterback cannot throw for over 200 yards, he is below average. When he cannot throw for more than 150 yards in a game, he's in the company of the bigger flops ever for QB. Gabbert was unable to eclipse 150 yards in nine of his 15 games. In four games, he could not produce over 97 passing yards and that is a red flag of epic proportions. Gabbert lost 11 games - he was always needing to throw last year and it did not matter. He was sacked 40 times - four from the lead and yet he passed far less than most other QBs.

His 65.4 QB rating was the worst in the league, below Curtis Painter, John Skelton, etc. Even Tim Tebow had a 72.9 rating.

He was the worst using any measurement really. And his receiving corps is by no means the primary reason. Assumedly he improves some this year and Blackmon has to help, but he has a long way to go to embrace mere mediocrity. Pretty much anything he does this year will be better because he was the worst last year. Giving him the best WR in the draft is not going to make him a better passer or more adept at reading defenses.

Phew... that's a mouthful right there. Hard to argue, thanks for the insight DMD. I have a little different outlook on Blackmon in Dynasty now. I wonder how long JAX would stick with Gabbert if he continues his suckage. Candidates for Barkley in 2013 I suppose.

The only thing I hang on to with Gabbert is that he had a short training camp. But, that didn't stop Newton.

If your league weights TEs with any extra points relative to WRs, then Fleener could be a good snag, late, especially if your team is weak or aged at the position. Thanks to him being drafted along with Luck, I see him being involved in the offense, quicker.

I see him a late 1st round pick in ALL situations if dynasty must start TE league ,, I have him pre-drafted now @ 1.10 ( no Huddlers in this league ,, I hope )

Posts like this is the reason why I love The Huddle! :tup:

My question is: If Henne gets the start, does that change Blackmons value?

To answer my own question: I'd say yes. Substantially. Now granted, Gabbert will have a full off season and should improve, Henne has at least shown to be able to QB efficiently at times. I think giving him a solid target (as long as Blackmon is an NFL caliber receiver) along with a solid running game, could be a good combination. Now, if Lewis can contribute they might have a decent start......

In the last 2 picks of a dynasty IDP league, 14 teams, 8 rounds. I have to say based upon that draft that this is easily the deepest draft class that I've ever seen. There is literally talent going in rounds 7 & 8 in that draft that on appearance are fully capable of making an impact beyond special teams in the NFL (and hence in FF), and could actually competently start in the event of injuries/suspensions/salary conflicts/etc providing an opportunity for these players. And it wasn't like there were owners making lousy selections so that talented players dropped too far - it was that the talent level was noticeably higher from the 3rd round on than it has ever been my experience to witness.

Now I know that not all those players chosen are going to cut it in the bigs. There will be a failure of translation in talent & Ability to the next level for a substantial number of players, as always. That said, the current NFL vets had better be ready to strap it up and get after it, because the influx of talent into the NFL this year is seriously eye-popping. FF drafts are going to be great fun to the very end this year, and if you can't find some solid picks in the later rounds of your FF drafts, it's on you and not because the guys aren't there for the choosing.

In the last 2 picks of a dynasty IDP league, 14 teams, 8 rounds. I have to say based upon that draft that this is easily the deepest draft class that I've ever seen. There is literally talent going in rounds 7 & 8 in that draft that on appearance are fully capable of making an impact beyond special teams in the NFL (and hence in FF), and could actually competently start in the event of injuries/suspensions/salary conflicts/etc providing an opportunity for these players. And it wasn't like there were owners making lousy selections so that talented players dropped too far - it was that the talent level was noticeably higher from the 3rd round on than it has ever been my experience to witness.

Now I know that not all those players chosen are going to cut it in the bigs. There will be a failure of translation in talent & Ability to the next level for a substantial number of players, as always. That said, the current NFL vets had better be ready to strap it up and get after it, because the influx of talent into the NFL this year is seriously eye-popping. FF drafts are going to be great fun to the very end this year, and if you can't find some solid picks in the later rounds of your FF drafts, it's on you and not because the guys aren't there for the choosing.

+1 On the surface, appears to be a very deep fantasy draft for dynasty rookies.