[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts draft two TE's?

DMD

I understood why they wanted Andrew Luck with the first overall pick since they really needed a quarterback.

I understand why they took TE Coby Fleener who was the best tight end in the draft and the go-to receiver for Andrew Luck at Stanford.

With all their needs - literally every facet of the team - why would they use their 3.01 pick to take Dwayne Allen - the second tight end taken in the entire draft? I realize that the Pats make Gronkowski and Hernandez into a formidable duo but the Colts needed a lot more picks to be competitive any time soon. Granted - the got the best two TE's in the draft but the fact that Allen lasted until 3.01 says to me that he's likely not an immediate difference maker.

Just thought it was odd and copying NE seems to be the only reason for the move to me. Unless Luck is just better passing shorter routes.

I think IND is trying to create a comfort zone for Luck. Harbaugh used a lot of 2 TE sets at Stanford. Allen is more of a traditional in-line TE whereas Fleener is more of a move TE. Allen can run the underneath stuff and Fleener can run the seams down the field. They also can get more protection for Luck this way.

It's certainly a more conservative, safe philosophy, but given that IND definitely had need for multiple TEs given their roster and who they lost in FA, and that they seem to intend to give Luck more security as a young QB with nothing behind him, I understand IND going this way. I think that has a lot more to do with the decisions than any attempt to copy the "Patriot Way". It also gives some leeway for the young TEs to develop as well, and provides some hedging if one of the TEs turns out to perform below their projections.

I thought that was a brilliant move by the Colts. Last thing they want to do is bring in Luck and not give him enough weapons. With the more than just lofty expectations surrounding him, they gotta give him some talent.

Grigson has said they were taking the best available player, not trying to fill needs. When it was the Colts turn, I texted my buddy and said I thought they would take Allen, as he was the best available guy left. Luck ran a TE heavy offense at Stanford, and the Colts only have one decent TE on the roster, and he's primarily a blocker.

That being said, I am shocked they are four picks into the draft and have not addressed the defense.

Ref what I said in the assess your team so far thread - I question it too but it's not a bad move IMO. Better (I think) to have one of the best TEs avail in the draft vs the whatever-best WR, which after missing Randle wasn't about to be anyone special.

Its not like they took a punter in the third :shrug: but yeah they needed D and O line

I actually think their o-line is ok. They drafted two tackles last year, signed a very good free agent center, and acquired Winston Justice in a trade with the Eagles for nothing. Castanzo at LT. Justice at RT. Satele at C. Ijalana at guard. They'll actually be pretty good.

The finally went defense and brought in some beef....... 5th round pick. Josh Chapman, Alabama. 6'1" - 315lbs.

Quote from NFL.com......."Chapman was a consistent two-down nose tackle at Alabama. His stats do not stand out, but he was the bowling ball that kept the defense rolling. He can stuff lanes inside and keep linebackers free to make plays. He doesn't flash anything special, but he will be a dependable inside presence on a 3-4 defense and will likely be selected in the second round."

This guys nickname is already gonna be, "Bowling Ball!" :rofl:

The finally went defense and brought in some beef....... 5th round pick. Josh Chapman, Alabama. 6'1" - 315lbs.

Quote from NFL.com......."Chapman was a consistent two-down nose tackle at Alabama. His stats do not stand out, but he was the bowling ball that kept the defense rolling. He can stuff lanes inside and keep linebackers free to make plays. He doesn't flash anything special, but he will be a dependable inside presence on a 3-4 defense and will likely be selected in the second round."

This guys nickname is already gonna be, "Bowling Ball!" :rofl:

Having seen this kid play, he's any MLB's very bestest buddy. The guy just uses up blockers and lets LBs freely scrape. Don't underestimate the potential impact of a guy like this. His value goes way beyond stats.

Agree. No problems w/that pick at all. If "all" he does is consistently tie up blockers so others can make plays, he automatically becomes the best DT the Colts have had in freaking decades. Gee Polian I so miss you. Not.

Having seen this kid play, he's any MLB's very bestest buddy. The guy just uses up blockers and lets LBs freely scrape. Don't underestimate the potential impact of a guy like this. His value goes way beyond stats.

Wasn't trying to de-value this pick, or downplay his potential impact. I actually liked the pick, and was glad we finally went with a big D lineman. I also agree that f he can do what his bio states and clock up the middle and requires a double team from our opponent, I think he presents great value for us and will allow Mathis & Freeney to do what they do best...........

I simply thought the bowling ball comment was hilarious.

Edited by Big Dogs

Wasn't trying to de-value this pick, or downplay his potential impact. I actually liked the pick, and was glad we finally went with a big D lineman. I also agree that f he can do what his bio states and clock up the middle and requires a double team from our opponent, I think he presents great value for us and will allow Mathis & Freeney to do what they do best...........

I simply thought the bowling ball comment was hilarious.

Understood.

This kid reminds me a lot of Gilbert Brown.

If there is any team that should draft for need over value, it would be the worst team from the previous year. At least IMO.

But they need help everywhere, so why not just start accumulating the best players you can. They're certainly not one draft class away from being at all good.

But once you secure the best TE in the draft, that position is not really a need. I completely understood taking Luck's buddy with their second pick. If you do not shore up the defense, then you are just making life that much worse for Luck in his first year since he'll be woefully behind in most games and the defense can just load up against the pass. It's not like the rushing game inspires respect let alone will be a luxury for a team that will most often be behind. The team purged players from a team that ranked #28 in points allowed and they waited until the fifth round to think about defense.

But they need help everywhere, so why not just start accumulating the best players you can. They're certainly not one draft class away from being at all good.

They need starters at a lot of positions. Therefore drafting a backup that early in the draft doesnt make sense. Fleener was drafted as the starter.

Just like the Redskins drafting cousins in the 4th after RG3 was head scratching, so was this.

They need starters at a lot of positions. Therefore drafting a backup that early in the draft doesnt make sense. Fleener was drafted as the starter.

What makes you think they're not both going to play? Who's the starter and who's the back up between Hernandez and Gronk?

What makes you think they're not both going to play? Who's the starter and who's the back up between Hernandez and Gronk?

So now the Colts are comparable to New England in terms of talent? Really? :rolleyes:

they will both play, but on a team that needs starters at other positions the pick was a luxury IMO. Great if they want to run 2 TEs and try to copy New England. That will work wonders when their defense gives up 20+ points a game and they have to play catch up.

So now the Colts are comparable to New England in terms of talent? Really? :rolleyes:

they will both play, but on a team that needs starters at other positions the pick was a luxury IMO. Great if they want to run 2 TEs and try to copy New England. That will work wonders when their defense gives up 20+ points a game and they have to play catch up.

Yep, that's what I'm saying, the Colts are just as good as the Pats.

It's not that hard to understand. The draft is a crap-shoot. People assume that the guys you take are going to fill needs, but just as often, they don't pan out. With that in mind, many believe that you shouldn't compound that by skipping over guys who you think are the best on the board. If Indy thought both those guys were the best on the board, then why not. Assuming they have a plan that can use both if they both work out. You seem to think that they'd be better off going with another position, but if they don't think the guys at those position are as good at what they do as this TE is at what he does, then what's the point?

The draft is only one way to get players and I'm sure Indy feels they're at least a few drafts away from being good. So, maybe next year, they'll like who is there for them at defensive positions and go heavy there.

But, back to NE and the 2 TE set. Are you implying that it is not an effective way to score points? Because it will "work wonders" when they need to put up 20+ pts a game? Um, you do realize that 2TE sets aren't just for short yardage any more, right?