[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Winslow a Seahawk

keggerz

From the SD Union-Tribune today:

NFL player Winslow accused of trashing house

Written by Brent Schrotenboer

10:07 a.m., May 23, 2012

For $9,000 per month in rent, Kellen Winslow Jr. moved into an expensive luxury home last year in Rancho Santa Fe -- a house that included Persian rugs and full furnishings. But just six months later, the NFL player left the place in a trashed state, according to a claim made by the house's owners. "Every corner of the home was damaged,” according to the claim obtained by UT San Diego.

The Persian rugs and carpeting “were stained with dog urine and also littered with dog feces,” the claim states. “The house was overpowered with a putrid stench of animal waste."

The complaint cited $133,000 in damages to the walls, floors, furniture and rugs.

Winslow's attorney called it a "bogus" claim that has been trumped up for financial gain by the owners.

"It's a shakedown of a professional athlete," said the attorney, Brian Watkins.

The owners, Ahmad and Nona Zarei, recently filed suit against Winslow and his wife in San Diego Superior Court, seeking recovery of property damages. Last week, the owners' insurance company also sought to join the suit against the Winslows to recover its payments for the alleged damages to the home.

After starting the lease in January 2011, the Winslows moved out by July 1, 2011. But the suit said they only paid $8,500 for the final month’s rent in June 2011 -- $500 less than what was owed. The Winslows have unpaid water, electric and gas bills for the home totaling $2,667.51, the suit states.

“The water to the residence, which was (Winslow's) responsibility to pay, was turned off by the local utility for lack of payment,” according to the suit.

The suit also states there were numerous holes punctured in the walls of the master bedroom. Meanwhile, the outdoor furniture “was pocked with cigarette and cigar burn holes.”

Bob Gerard, attorney for the home's owners, said they have pictures to document the damage.

Watkins had an explanation for several of the alleged damages. He said there was a mix-up with the payment of utilities by Winslow's real estate agent, who was supposed to pay for them on Winslow's behalf. He said the holes in the wall were drilled to hang flat-screen TVs. He said the "the dog had an accident on the rug" but that it was cleaned along with the rest of the carpeting.

"They want to portray it as though Kellen Winslow had a fraternity of football friends partying," Watkins said. "But the house was rented for his wife, who was pregnant. She was living there with her mother and a housekeeper. There was no partying going on. Kellen was rarely even there. "

The suit states that Winslow’s real estate agent surveyed the damage and said, “This is normal behavior for a 25-year-old with millions.” He did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Watkins said the damage upon move-out was initially estimated by the owners to be $60,000 but soon climbed to the point where they're squaring off in court. The security deposit was $18,000.

Winslow, who is actually 28, was traded this week to the Seattle Seahawks from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. A former player at Scripps Ranch High School, he signed a contract in 2009 that was the biggest ever for a tight end – $36 million for six years.

Gerard said the suit was only recently filed because his clients first were required to attempt a resolution through out-of-court mediation. The mediation was not successful, so the owners filed suit in Superior Court.

The owners said they were aware Winslow was a pro football player when he signed the lease in January 2011. They said they also knew that NFL players have a clause in their employment contracts that requires them to “avoid gross and wanton conduct that would be deemed detrimental to the image” of the league, their suit states.

The owners “relied upon this known contractual obligation and agreed to lease the fully furnished multimillion dollar residence," according to their suit.

Winslow Jr. and his wife recently purchased a different home in the same area. He is the son of legendary former Chargers player Kellen Winslow Sr.

For $9,000 per month in rent, Kellen Winslow Jr. moved into an expensive luxury home last year in Rancho Santa Fe -- a house that included Persian rugs and full furnishings. But just six months later, the NFL player left the place in a trashed state, according to a claim made by the house's owners. "Every corner of the home was damaged,” according to the claim obtained by UT San Diego.

The Persian rugs and carpeting “were stained with dog urine and also littered with dog feces,” the claim states. “The house was overpowered with a putrid stench of animal waste."

The complaint cited $133,000 in damages to the walls, floors, furniture and rugs.

Winslow's attorney called it a "bogus" claim that has been trumped up for financial gain by the owners.

The owners, Ahmad and Nona Zarei, recently filed suit against Winslow and his wife in San Diego Superior Court, seeking recovery of property damages. Last week, the owners' insurance company also sought to join the suit against the Winslows to recover its payments for the alleged damages to the home.

After starting the lease in January 2011, the Winslows moved out by July 1, 2011. But the suit said they only paid $8,500 for the final month’s rent in June 2011 -- $500 less than what was owed. The Winslows have unpaid water, electric and gas bills for the home totaling $2,667.51, the suit states.

“The water to the residence, which was (Winslow's) responsibility to pay, was turned off by the local utility for lack of payment,” according to the suit.

The suit also states there were numerous holes punctured in the walls of the master bedroom. Meanwhile, the outdoor furniture “was pocked with cigarette and cigar burn holes.”

Bob Gerard, attorney for the home's owners, said they have pictures to document the damage.

Watkins had an explanation for several of the alleged damages. He said there was a mix-up with the payment of utilities by Winslow's real estate agent, who was supposed to pay for them on Winslow's behalf. He said the holes in the wall were drilled to hang flat-screen TVs. He said the "the dog had an accident on the rug" but that it was cleaned along with the rest of the carpeting.

"They want to portray it as though Kellen Winslow had a fraternity of football friends partying," Watkins said. "But the house was rented for his wife, who was pregnant. She was living there with her mother and a housekeeper. There was no partying going on. Kellen was rarely even there. "

The suit states that Winslow’s real estate agent surveyed the damage and said, “This is normal behavior for a 25-year-old with millions.” He did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Watkins said the damage upon move-out was initially estimated by the owners to be $60,000 but soon climbed to the point where they're squaring off in court. The security deposit was $18,000.

Winslow, who is actually 28, was traded this week to the Seattle Seahawks from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. A former player at Scripps Ranch High School, he signed a contract in 2009 that was the biggest ever for a tight end – $36 million for six years.

Gerard said the suit was only recently filed because his clients first were required to attempt a resolution through out-of-court mediation. The mediation was not successful, so the owners filed suit in Superior Court.

The owners said they were aware Winslow was a pro football player when he signed the lease in January 2011. They said they also knew that NFL players have a clause in their employment contracts that requires them to “avoid gross and wanton conduct that would be deemed detrimental to the image” of the league, their suit states.

The owners “relied upon this known contractual obligation and agreed to lease the fully furnished multimillion dollar residence," according to their suit.

Winslow Jr. and his wife recently purchased a different home in the same area. He is the son of legendary former Chargers player Kellen Winslow Sr.

Does this mean you won't be drafting Winslow in HOT? :brow:

Anybody here believe Winslow or his attorney? Whether he was having wild parties or not, he rented the place and it had all this damage when he moved out. I doubt these people (who own a multi million dollar home they are renting) are just trying to get some $$$ out of him as some sort of scam.

Anybody here believe Winslow or his attorney? Whether he was having wild parties or not, he rented the place and it had all this damage when he moved out. I doubt these people (who own a multi million dollar home they are renting) are just trying to get some $$$ out of him as some sort of scam.

Maybe the landlord was a pastey Midwesterner. :shrug:

No, because all multi-million dollar home owners who rent things out are automatically stand-up landlords who aren't out to make a buck of tenants leaving.

No, because all multi-million dollar home owners who rent things out are automatically stand-up landlords who aren't out to make a buck of tenants leaving.

So the landlords trashed the place themselves?

So the landlords trashed the place themselves?

Why does it seem like the only time that the general message board populace takes the side of a professional athlete in a legal or court matter is when a woman accuses them of rape?

I'm not saying Winslow's not responsible, because I don't know what the facts are besides what the landlords allege and what Winslow's attorney countered with. And neither do you or anyone else, so why bother conjecturing? It doesn't really seem all that far-fetched that a real estate agent was supposed to handle utility payments. It doesn't seem that far-fetched that damage was done to walls from mouted TVs. It doesn't seem that far-fetched that a dog crapped on the carpet. It doesn't seem that far-fetched that they had a party and there was damage done.

It also doesn't seem that far-fetched that landlords want to shake down a professional athlete because they know he's got the dough.

Why does it seem like the only time that the general message board populace takes the side of a professional athlete in a legal or court matter is when a woman accuses them of rape?

I'm not saying Winslow's not responsible, because I don't know what the facts are besides what the landlords allege and what Winslow's attorney countered with. And neither do you or anyone else, so why bother conjecturing? It doesn't really seem all that far-fetched that a real estate agent was supposed to handle utility payments. It doesn't seem that far-fetched that damage was done to walls from mouted TVs. It doesn't seem that far-fetched that a dog crapped on the carpet. It doesn't seem that far-fetched that they had a party and there was damage done.

It also doesn't seem that far-fetched that landlords want to shake down a professional athlete because they know he's got the dough.

Who does that.

For me its simple, without more info I'm inclined to believe the landlords who are probably more mature and don't have "rules don't apply to me" attitude that many pro athletes have.

Why bother conjecturing? Because somebody posted a story on the forum and we feel like commenting, What are we supposed to do? Just say YUP? (BTW you're doing it yourself by saying it isn't far fetched that the landlord would try to shake him down.)

Why bother conjecturing? Because somebody posted a story on the forum and we feel like commenting, What are we supposed to do? Just say YUP? (BTW you're doing it yourself by saying it isn't far fetched that the landlord would try to shake him down.)

I'm not conjecturing. I'm countering your assumption that someone who rents out a multi-million dollar property is above being petty, and your assumption that this situation is one where a pro athlete believes that the "rules don't apply".

Watkins had an explanation for several of the alleged damages. He said there was a mix-up with the payment of utilities by Winslow's real estate agent, who was supposed to pay for them on Winslow's behalf. He said the holes in the wall were drilled to hang flat-screen TVs. He said the "the dog had an accident on the rug" but that it was cleaned along with the rest of the carpeting

Your wifes pregnant, and you're hardly ever there....Hmmmmmmmmmm? :shocking:

Edited by silverback

Who does that.

83% of landlords that realize it costs them nothing to make accusations and might get a few bucks thrown their way.

For me its simple, without more info I'm inclined to believe the landlords who are probably more mature and don't have "rules don't apply to me" attitude that many pro athletes have.

Wow KWJR really pissed in your Wheaties eh? Blindly believing a landlord's claim on damages - regardless of the tenant - is idiotic. All of the damage he described might have happened and it's still very likely/possible the damages claimed are extremely padded. There is no detail at all provided. Hell a persian rug can cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars to $50k if you get all extravagent. The furniture could cost 5k per room or 20k per room easily. Without receipts and repair estimates in writing there is no reason to take EITHER side's word on this.

What a non-story, can we please get the season started already?

83% of landlords that realize it costs them nothing to make accusations and might get a few bucks thrown their way.

Wow KWJR really pissed in your Wheaties eh? Blindly believing a landlord's claim on damages - regardless of the tenant - is idiotic. All of the damage he described might have happened and it's still very likely/possible the damages claimed are extremely padded. There is no detail at all provided. Hell a persian rug can cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars to $50k if you get all extravagent. The furniture could cost 5k per room or 20k per room easily. Without receipts and repair estimates in writing there is no reason to take EITHER side's word on this.

What a non-story, can we please get the season started already?

Seriously, 83% care to tell us how you got that number?

Without further evidence my intial reaction is to believe the landlord, and not the tenant, particularly a tool like Winslow. I don't see what's so wrong with that. We're not entitled to an opinion without having all the facts.

If the landlord is taking him to court they're going to have to provide evidence, and documentation of the damages and costs to repair them. They're not just going to say say "he owes us $150,000, pay up."

I agree its basically a non story but somebody else (the S-D paper and the person who posted it here) thought otherwise. And some of us are commenting on it. Last I checked we're still free to do that.

I'm certain the landlord went in, tore up his own place, peed and took dumps all over the floor in his own $1M+ residence - just to get in the news and collect the damages that it would take to fix the damage he created in his own place.

The Huddle sleuthes solve the case yet again! Damn those sneaky 1%ers!

Edited by Bronco Billy
  • Like 1

:thinking: QB with fancy hair, check D-bag coach who thinks he's a genius, check Loud-mouthed, pompous, blow-hard fan-base, check I think that Seahawks21 guy may be on to something.

Pot, meet kettle.

Re-reading my post it came out snarkier than intended - sorry for that. I just think it's silly to form any opinion either way without facts. You don't like Winslow's character but we also know nothing about the owner's character either. Landlords can be serious scumbags, and wrapping a scumbag up in a million-dollar mansion still results in a scumbag.

(83% is a joke from a TV show my ex- and I watched a lot)