[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ryan Mathews (Hype Train is already rollin')

Capt. Stanky

I knew it would be coming, but it's a bit sooner than expected. A site I think allot of currently has Mathews as the #2 RB. They have valid points below

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/40586/260/mathews-can-be-no-1

I have Mathews in a Dynasty league and here is what I noticed last year. He runs too upright, this is why he always seems to have bumps and bruises. I just don't know if he's built to be the workhorse SD wants him to be. Believe me, I sure want to believe. What do other Huddlers think? This is sure to be a hot topic as the season gets closer.

He's the classic example of a running back with hugh potential due to his expanded role in the offense but who also comes with hugh risk due to his past history of fumbles and injuries.

Draft him at your own risk! :unsure:

In redraft, I'd still put MJD ahead of Mathews, but in a dynasty startup, I'd put RM behind McCoy and Rice and ahead of Foster, but I play for year two in a dynasty startup. If you're in an existing dynasty and have a top roster going after a top RB, I'd put Foster ahead of RM.

Really? How does the long-game lower Foster's value considering that he is all of 25 years old?

Capt. where on that site does it have Mathews as #2 RB? I'm looking at their top 10 lists, and it has him at #4

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/40596/57/clay-fantasy-top-tens

(maybe its part of the pay site which I don't have access to)

Sure he could have a great year and be #1, #2, top5, etc. I just don't buy all the hype, and really see no way that he is better than Foster, McCoy, Rice and maybe more. I'd probably consider Richardson a less risky bet to be top 5 than Mathews.

Still debating where I would take him but I do like the possibilities for him this year. Hard for me to take MJD ahead of him, just not feeling that, same with Hillis. Matthews has shown ability and if he's healthy, why not?

Still debating where I would take him but I do like the possibilities for him this year. Hard for me to take MJD ahead of him, just not feeling that, same with Hillis. Matthews has shown ability and if he's healthy, why not?

I suspect that Hillis was mentioned earlier as a joke. I honestly don't think anybody is considering him as a top 5/10 RB.

I'd put him #4 for the time being. If you felt strong enough to pass on McCoy/Rice/Foster, then by all means, do it. He's the one of those that's primed for a breakout (loss of 'handcuff', 3rd year, throwing QB, etc.).

I didn't realize when I posted this that it was just one guys opinion. Either way, there's not going to be a more hyped running back, besides possibly Trent Richardson, than Mathews leading up to the season. All we are currently hearing out of Norv Turner is that Mathews is going to get all the carries he can handle. What I am not sure of is he can handle more than about 300 (250 rushing attempts and 50 rec). He could still be top 5 with that amount of touches, but my bigger concern is SD overworking him and him breaking down. He's no good to Fantasy teams if he's not playing.

I didn't realize when I posted this that it was just one guys opinion. Either way, there's not going to be a more hyped running back, besides possibly Trent Richardson, than Mathews leading up to the season. All we are currently hearing out of Norv Turner is that Mathews is going to get all the carries he can handle. What I am not sure of is he can handle more than about 300 (250 rushing attempts and 50 rec). He could still be top 5 with that amount of touches, but my bigger concern is SD overworking him and him breaking down. He's no good to Fantasy teams if he's not playing.

You worry too much.

Let the owner in 2013 worry about that. He only needs to last one season :D

I have him in a Dynasty, so I have to think a bit deeper about this. I am thinking about packaging a deal to the new owner in our Dynasty league. He's going to have the top 2 picks at the very least. I'm thinking of offering Mathews and Bradford for the top 2 picks (I would then take RG3 and Richardson). We start 2 QB's with all TD's being 6 pts.

I don't want this to get moved to the advise forum, but I wanted you to see that I am not worrying, but trying to gage value for a possible trade.

I don't see any reason why the light will suddenly go off this season. He was annointed the starter his rookie season and after a late arrival in camp his ball security and game prep were immediate issues. He followed that up last year by failing the conditioning test for organized team activities and again had issues with ball security as well as practice and game prep. It behooves AJ Smith and Norv Turner to force feed Matthews the ball, he's their guy, but I'm just not sure he has the make up, mentally or physically to be that every down player the Chargers were hoping for. I have him and MJD as keeper options, and its MJD by a long margin in my opinion.

I don't see any reason why the light will suddenly go off this season. He was annointed the starter his rookie season and after a late arrival in camp his ball security and game prep were immediate issues. He followed that up last year by failing the conditioning test for organized team activities and again had issues with ball security as well as practice and game prep. It behooves AJ Smith and Norv Turner to force feed Matthews the ball, he's their guy, but I'm just not sure he has the make up, mentally or physically to be that every down player the Chargers were hoping for. I have him and MJD as keeper options, and its MJD by a long margin in my opinion.

This is exactly my feeling. I am probably going to try and move Mathews on draft day if his value is sky high.