[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Daughter going to college and needs a car...

Puddy

Well this didn't go exactly as planned. My daughter has my Accord but I don't have a mid-life crisis car. However, my wife has a new Durango and I'll be driving her old car. :wacko:

Puddy, next time you come here asking for advice can you please consult with your wife first so we can know what your real options are?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this didn't go exactly as planned. My daughter has my Accord but I don't have a mid-life crisis car. However, my wife has a new Durango and I'll be driving her old car. :wacko:

Wowza. M. Night Shyamalan ending. :tup:

Seriously though, the Traverse is supposed to be pretty nice IIRC. Not sure why the kid has moved out and you are both driving 7+ passenger SUVs but I guess whatever works.

Wowza. M. Night Shyamalan ending. :tup:

Seriously though, the Traverse is supposed to be pretty nice IIRC. Not sure why the kid has moved out and you are both driving 7+ passenger SUVs but I guess whatever works.

She's not moving out. She is going to school locally. My seven passenger vehicle is a hand me down that won't be in the household too long.

Not quite a minivan. A Chevy Traverse. I'll flip this thing like it's a hair band guitar and be rollin' in my 5.0 in no time. :oldunsure:

typical responsible Father move right here. good for you. you'll get a new ride soon enough. better to make the ladies in your life happy.

You are giving too much credit by calling it logic, more like rationalization. My wife wants a new vehicle and wants to give hers to me and get rid of my SUV. Well, I have been dragging my feet for 2 years. Cars are paid off and even though mine is 12 years old, it is still shiny and without any issue as is hers. She just wants a new one, hence her rationalization! Grrrrrrrr

I am going through the exact same thing. makes me Fin livid. I have 2 cars that are paid off. Hers is in great shape with low mileage. Mine is in good shape and I really dont need it for much aside from commuting to work and she is busting my balls for a new car

I am going through the exact same thing. makes me Fin livid. I have 2 cars that are paid off. Hers is in great shape with low mileage. Mine is in good shape and I really dont need it for much aside from commuting to work and she is busting my balls for a new car

Sorry, but glad I'm not the only one. Not sure how much longer I can hold out. Of course I "want" a new car, but I DON'T WANT the payment! Ugh, why cant we just drive a car until it dies (probably another 5-7 years)?

Yep, I succumbed last August, I enjoy the new ride though, just not the payment. I think it was time though, always difficult to know when it's time, when one of the cars could take a big crap.

Just went a bit more expensive then I would have liked. :shocker:

I'll drive my truck until it is beyond dead. I abhor a car payment, and as realistically we need to go to a bigger car for my wife to handle 3 growing boys and all their crap, I'll keep driving my '98 F-150 with its 225K miles on it, so long as all I am having to do is standard maintenance and the oil changes, etc., it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a new car.

Plus, I'm also confident enough with the size of my peener that I don't need some shiny new car to make up for my insecurities.

I'll drive my truck until it is beyond dead. I abhor a car payment, and as realistically we need to go to a bigger car for my wife to handle 3 growing boys and all their crap, I'll keep driving my '98 F-150 with its 225K miles on it, so long as all I am having to do is standard maintenance and the oil changes, etc., it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a new car.

Plus, I'm also confident enough with the size of my peener that I don't need some shiny new car to make up for my insecurities.

I have only had one car payment my entire life. The second car I owned, an $1800 loan, and only did it to establish credit. That was 34 years ago. I guess I am confident enough with the size of my peener :D

I agree about the Elantra. If you saw the horrific pictures of my daughter's accident I posted in a thread about a week ago, that she walked away from with some bad bruises, you would understand. She is now driving a new Elantra.

I think that considering what is affordable, the primary criteria for a car your kid will drive should be the safety rating of the vehicle.

I am beyond blessed that I can post this advice.

I'm not, I want a Bentley Continental GT?

Not quite a minivan. A Chevy Traverse. I'll flip this thing like it's a hair band guitar and be rollin' in my 5.0 in no time. :oldunsure:

And done...Not a 5.0 but a 6.2 liter beautiful blue Camaro 2SS sitting in the driveway as I type. I was determined to give in to crisis mode.

Edited by Puddy

It's an automatic, isn't it? A man who can't change a tire surely won't see the fun in getting the manual transmission behind the horsepower. I weep for you Puddy, I weep...

Oh, ETA, I hope you enjoy it anyway. :tup:

Edited by westvirginia

It is indeed an automatic. I do 95% city driving and continually dealing with a stick at red lights, stop signs, etc. is no fun at all. I test drove the stick and really dug it. If I only lived in the country.