[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Um DJ, I don't think this was such a good idea

rajncajn

Here's the real interesting additonal information on this: Williams is quoted in the Denver Post as defending his actions, the he is "old school" and learns by using a "flash cards", and "Coach told me I have to learn a new position over the weekend".

Knowing Williams is looking at a 6 week suspension this coming season, what does that underlined statement mean? He's clearly not moving to start over Von Miller on the other side, so we can gather 3 possibiliies:

1) Williams is moving to SLB, with Miller moving to WLB. That would cut into Williams' production, but could potentially enhance Miller's value significantly. Miller is relativey smallish, and moving him to the non-TE side of the D might really boost his numbers.

2) Williams is learning MLB, which would boost his production significantly as he has proven working at that spot in the past, and would push a very mediocre Mays to a backup role that he is probably better suited for.

3) Williams is being moved to back up at least 2 different positions and out of the starting line up. Coaches made no secret that they consider Williams' play last season as sub-par and were looking to move him before the trade deadline last season.

In any case, that would also indicate that either Woodyard or rookie Trevathan would be penciled in as the starter at WLB if Miller doesn't move over there. Both Woodyard and Trevathan are smallish, but would fit into the WLB slot much better than either other LB spot. Woodyard is great in coverage but struggles to hold his own against the run. Trevathan plays bigger than his weight and was extremely active and productive in college.

This ought to be well worth watching in camp for IDPers, as Miller could become a monster if moved to WLB, Williams could end up also being very productive as a MLB, could have negligible value as a SLB, or could be worthless as a backup. And a guy like Trevathan could emerge as a real decent LB3 with upside if this move is being made to get him on the field with Miller, since run D was a real issue with DEN last year and Fox is likely lookig to remedy that - and that's Woodyard's achilles heel on D.

Here's the real interesting additonal information on this: Williams is quoted in the Denver Post as defending his actions, the he is "old school" and learns by using a "flash cards", and "Coach told me I have to learn a new position over the weekend".

Knowing Williams is looking at a 6 week suspension this coming season, what does that underlined statement mean? He's clearly not moving to start over Von Miller on the other side, so we can gather 3 possibiliies:

1) Williams is moving to SLB, with Miller moving to WLB. That would cut into Williams' production, but could potentially enhance Miller's value significantly. Miller is relativey smallish, and moving him to the non-TE side of the D might really boost his numbers.

2) Williams is learning MLB, which would boost his production significantly as he has proven working at that spot in the past, and would push a very mediocre Mays to a backup role that he is probably better suited for.

3) Williams is being moved to back up at least 2 different positions and out of the starting line up. Coaches made no secret that they consider Williams' play last season as sub-par and were looking to move him before the trade deadline last season.

In any case, that would also indicate that either Woodyard or rookie Trevathan would be penciled in as the starter at WLB if Miller doesn't move over there. Both Woodyard and Trevathan are smallish, but would fit into the WLB slot much better than either other LB spot. Woodyard is great in coverage but struggles to hold his own against the run. Trevathan plays bigger than his weight and was extremely active and productive in college.

This ought to be well worth watching in camp for IDPers, as Miller could become a monster if moved to WLB, Williams could end up also being very productive as a MLB, could have negligible value as a SLB, or could be worthless as a backup. And a guy like Trevathan could emerge as a real decent LB3 with upside if this move is being made to get him on the field with Miller, since run D was a real issue with DEN last year and Fox is likely lookig to remedy that - and that's Woodyard's achilles heel on D.

You never stop thinking. You are like a shark that can't stop swimming. Me, I'm more of a manatee.

Still, interseting analysis.

You never stop thinking. You are like a shark that can't stop swimming. Me, I'm more of a manatee.

You are big, cute, and cuddly. Not sure about the propeller scars, though...

Me - much closer to the dogfish end of the scale of the shark world, for sure.

Edited by Bronco Billy

If ESPN was having a slow news day they might actually turn that into a PositionGate story.

Or they just want him to be versatile and be able to play other LB positions in Del Rio's defense. He doesn't say he's changing positions, just learning one.

But it's June, so it's fun to speculate!

Why would a locked in starter need to learn another position? If the guy were wildly athletic I could see it - like how PIT uses Timmons - so that if someone goes down, he shifts and they still have their best healthy LBs on the field. I don't see that being the case with Williams.

Word is now out that Trevathan is getting 1st team reps. Coaches have been saying he is playing well above his draft slot, has been an extremely quick study, and shows that his skill set is translating to the pros very well.

Still tees & shorts, mind you.

Word is now out that Trevathan is getting 1st team reps. Coaches have been saying he is playing well above his draft slot, has been an extremely quick study, and shows that his skill set is translating to the pros very well.

Still tees & shorts, mind you.

Are those reps at WLB?

Sturphy - yes, the reps are at WLB (Williams spot). I have also heard some speculation - just that, nothing more - that DEN is willing to listen to trade offers for Williams and that it wouldn't take much to acquire him. I know that Williams' style grates on Fox and his staff. He's more of a read and react LB while I think DEN is looking for LBs who attack and create.

• 2 weeks later...

Williams has lost his appeal of his 6 game suspension, but plans on taking it up the food chain and appealing that decision. Between submitting non-human urine for a drug test and getting busted for it - hence the 6 game suspension, refusing to accept responsibility for it, the public disclosure of D formations, and what DEN coaches called soft play last year, you have to wonder how long this guy will be on the roster. I don't think Fox is going to provide too many more second chances.

Edited by Bronco Billy

You're right that DJ went about this the wrong way... unless the tests were actually flawed. It's never good for the tester to get *fired* and does cast doubt on all the results.

I would have greater doubts if there were some kind of magic potion that changed human urine to non-human urine; and if McBean wouldn't have owned doing the same thing at the same time when the two were at the time teammates, which resulted in McBean's suspension being halved.