[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is Jon Beason worth?

I've been holding onto Jon Beason in my dynasty IDP league, but lately I've been getting a few offers for him. Last year was my first year of IDP, so I'm a new to the IDP off-season trading aspect of our league. I'm weak at WR so my question is: How much Jon Beason is worth compared to the WR market? What WR's would be comparable in a straight up trade for Beason? Or should I just hang on to Beason?

For those of you who need the league structure, it's a 12 man PPR with 3 WR's and a Flex RB/WR/TE position. Everything else is pretty standard on the offensive side of the ball. On defense we start a full 11 players with the ability to start either a 3/4 or a 4/3. We have positions for DE, DT, LB, CB, and S.

LB scoring is below:

Defensive Tackles 1.7 points each

Defensive Assists 0.85 points each

Number of Defensive Fumble Recovery TDs 6 points each

Fumble Recoveries (from Opponent) 2 points each

Opponent Fumble Recovery Yards 0.05 point for every 1

Forced Fumbles 2 points each Test

Number of Interception Return TDs 6 points each

Interceptions Caught 3 points each

Interception Return Yards 0.05 point for every 1

Sacked a QB 1.5 point for every 0.5

Tackles for a Loss 0.45 points each

Safeties 4 points each

Passes Defensed 0.75 points each

I might be in the minority, but I'm very high on Beason this year. I think he returns to his Tier 1 form, and puts together a fantastic season - even with Kuechly playing WLB.

If you're looking at the Huddle's projections, I have him at #12 finishing with 95 solos, 26 assists, 1 FF, 1 INT, 5 PD. (161.5+22.1+2+3+3.75 = 192.35 points in your league)

Consider that in 2011, he didn't play at all. And in 2010 he was playing out of position at WLB, and he had his worst season yet. In the three seasons preceding that he finished with over 100 solo tackles each year, and was easily considered one of the best LBs in IDP play.

I don't think his value is very high right now among many IDPers, especially if you're looking for a quality return at WR. In my opinion right now is a great time to buy Beason cheap, rather than sell.

Just my :2cents:

Edited by kpholmes

Panthers first-rounder Luke Kuechly took the majority of his reps during OTAs and minicamp at middle linebacker.

Veteran Jon Beason concedes that he could be moved to the weak side after Kuechly impressed in practices. "I think the world of the kid," said Beason, who had previously expressed a preference for staying in the middle. Based on Kuechly's strong showing thus far, beat writer Joe Person expects him to start the season in the middle. Jun 14 - 3:04 PM

Source: Charlotte Observer

even without the above quote I doubt you're going to get much in an offer for Beason. Probably all I would offer would be a WR3, low end 2 for him. Too many questions if he'll be a OLB or MLB. For my money I think he'll be outside besides coming off an Achilles injury

Edited by Zooty

Zooty is spot on that there are to many questions...with that said it only takes one person to be in love with a guy to get yourself a good deal...what you need to do is assess what your team needs and if you can get that by trading Beason then do it, if you can't then stand pat.

Beason is a solid player with both positional and injury concerns so value is speculative at the moment. As far as value relative to WR's, it is always about scoring. I can't tell his value based on his scoring without knowing his value compared to DE's and WR's.

I doubt you get enough based on situation to get a solid WR in return. That said if your scoring is balanced enough between offense and defense in that close to 25-30 defensive players will crack the top 60 in overall scoring you could get more. Just looking at his scoring I don't think your balance is that close. Probably closer to 65-35 is my guess.

I do see value in him even if he moves to weak side in their scheme as he is a 3-down player. Personally, not being assured of the MLB position his value is limited and probably worth more on your roster. As a weak side backer he has top 20 value at the position, as a MLB he has top 10 potential.

All indications are, he is fine and will be good to go. I think he moves to weak side by mid year at the latest.

His real value is probably WR3 or perhaps a young upside WR like Hankerson or possibly a Jon Baldwin type. The WR I might try to target for him is DHB. Many hate this player but based on my late season analysis he could be a steal this season and i project him at 120 targets this season as he cements himself as the Raiders #1 WR.

Edited by Ice1

Thanks guys. I was putting a lot more value on Beason than I think I should have been. Now that I know more, I'm kind of inclined to try and trade him away in some kind of a package deal. I've been getting a few offers from the same guy that seems to really want Beason, so I'll see if I can get something worked out with him for an upgrade at WR since I'm pretty weak. Thanks for all your help.