[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

You'll always be a Johnson to me...

From the AP -

Chad Ochocinco said he will change his last name back to Johnson on July 4. Ocho sounded very mature and focused during his first interview as a Dolphin Tuesday. "For me, it's about me getting back to the basics, going back to the root of how it all started," he said. "I think I kind of lost that and I'm looking to go back to Chad Johnson and just make it live again." Returning to Johnson won't change the fact that he'll be 35 in January.

Sounds like another attempt to get attention. I know the guy does some good in the community, is charitable etc. But his nonsense with the name changing coupled with all his goofy stunts just makes him look like an tool in my eyes. Particularly that whole HOF jacket thing, he was such a smug guy then, I don't think he has any chance of making the HOF while much more deserving guys like Cris Carter are still waiting their turn.

Ha-ha, good catch BJ.

Chad <whatever> is probably not likely to get to the HOF though he did lead the league in receiving yards for a couple of years. He has interjected some fun into the game but at the expense of his own performance probably. I wonder if his previous year's will be credited to Johnson or Ochocinco? He's no lock to even make the Dolphins or any team for that matter.

Love him or hate him, 85 and his antics are what makes the game fun. Just think how boring it would be if all the players were like you. :headbang:

Going to have to disagree, players playing the game of football are what make it fun for me. Big plays, big hits, the tought battles in the trenches, the strategy, etc. Not some bozo dancing in the end zone and staging his performances for the crowd.

If I want to watch a bunch of 5 year olds or adolescents fight for attention I'm sure there's programs like that on TV.

Its funny once in a while, but when you see the amount of time and effort that goes into these staged performances (the HOF jacket, the cell phone in the goal post pad, the sharpie in his sock [some were probably other players]) its clea rto me the players is more about showing off himself and trying to be an entertainer than just being a good football player.

(the HOF jacket, the cell phone in the goal post pad, the sharpie in his sock [some were probably other players])

HOF jacket was ocho

cell phone was joe horn

sharpie was TO

the celebrations are exciting, funny, and take nothing away from the game. the celebrations are not disrespectful and dont delay the game. they add some extra entertainment and i always love to see just how creative these guys can be. as a dolphins fan, i wish chad would have come to south beach 4 or 5 years ago when he could still influence the outcome of the game.

Love him or hate him, 85 and his antics are what makes the game fun. Just think how boring it would be if all the players were like you.

:huh:

Seriously? Narcisists and their ghey little dance antics are what make the game fun for you? Maybe there's an opening in a fantasy ballet league for you.

• Like 1

:huh:

Seriously? Narcisists and their ghey little dance antics are what make the game fun for you? Maybe there's an opening in a fantasy ballet league for you.

While Ocho's antics may have grown tiresome, labeling him a narcissist is almost certainly a reach. I haven't heard much ill will from other players and former teammates and Ocho generally seems to be dealing with his diminishing career in an under the radar professional manner better than many before him. It's more apparent to me that he had fun playing the game and his lack of seriousness (which is contradictory to narcissistic behavior) played into his antics which often rubbed people the wrong way.

• Like 1

HOF jacket was ocho

cell phone was joe horn

sharpie was TO

the celebrations are exciting, funny, and take nothing away from the game. the celebrations are not disrespectful and dont delay the game. they add some extra entertainment and i always love to see just how creative these guys can be. as a dolphins fan, i wish chad would have come to south beach 4 or 5 years ago when he could still influence the outcome of the game.

I don't find the celebrations exciting. Perhaps I have a higher excitement threshold than you, which is fine.

I don't find them funny. I can go as far as mildly amusing, but that's it.

They do take away from the game if it is a good game or a meaningful game.

They are disrespectful of the team in that they draw attention to one person as if the accomplishment was his alone and they frequently draw penalties placing the team in an adverse position simply so one individual can draw attention to himself.

I don't find clowning articularly creative but I have a stick up my ass, so don't go by me.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders
  • Like 1

While Ocho's antics may have grown tiresome, labeling him a narcissist is almost certainly a reach. I haven't heard much ill will from other players and former teammates and Ocho generally seems to be dealing with his diminishing career in an under the radar professional manner better than many before him. It's more apparent to me that he had fun playing the game and his lack of seriousness (which is contradictory to narcissistic behavior) played into his antics which often rubbed people the wrong way.

:smash: This.

I certainly don't tune in, specifically, to see the end zone dances, but I do chuckle at those so put-off by them. It's a cultural thing. You wear khakis, oxford shirts, and drive a camry. Dude dresses like a pimp and rolls with spinners. It's rather safe to say that you'll also find different ways of expressing your joy. You? A subtle and restrained fist pump or a single clap. Him? Perhaps a bit more outlandish.

Different strokes.

Consider this when you assume that your way is appropriate and his is needless grandstanding. If that's the case, why is it that one of the most common complaints women have about their men is that they're too reluctant to show emotion?

Consider this when you assume that your way is appropriate and his is needless grandstanding. If that's the case, why is it that one of the most common complaints women have about their men is that they're too reluctant to show emotion?

What do women say about self-absorbed clownish grandstanding baboons?

What do women say about self-absorbed clownish grandstanding baboons?

I don't see how that matters since I'm not implying that endzone behavior is anything that people should do or emulate. It is certainly not how I would likely celebrate. Rather that it is born of a different perspective.

I bring up the fact that the disinclination of many men to show emotion is often seen as a fault, may call into question any authority these same men may have on saying how others should choose to act.

"Act like you've been there before."

"It's your job. You don't see me doing a dance every time I do mine."

These are common statments of this camp. Of course, saying these things imply that you set the standard on what is appropriate behavior. However a closer look would show that these same men are as far from what is truly "appropriate" as the "grandstanding clowns", just in the other direction.

In other words, lighten up Francis.

Edited by detlef
  • Like 1

I don't see how that matters since I'm not implying that endzone behavior is anything that people should do or emulate. It is certainly not how I would likely celebrate. Rather that it is born of a different perspective.

I bring up the fact that the disinclination of many men to show emotion is often seen as a fault, may call into question any authority these same men may have on saying how others should choose to act.

"Act like you've been there before."

"It's your job. You don't see me doing a dance every time I do mine."

These are common statments of this camp. Of course, saying these things imply that you set the standard on what is appropriate behavior. However a closer look would show that these same men are as far from what is truly "appropriate" as the "grandstanding clowns", just in the other direction.

In other words, lighten up Francis.

:lol:

Because you say so and you're the authority on the subject? I don't think so. I would have loved to have seen these obnoxious egomaniacs to have tried this kind of crap in the era of Butkus and Nitschke. Absolutely loved it.

:lol:

Because you say so and you're the authority on the subject? I don't think so. I would have loved to have seen these obnoxious egomaniacs to have tried this kind of crap in the era of Butkus and Nitschke. Absolutely loved it.

Dude, you're missing the point. I'm not the one saying how people should act, because I'm not claiming to be an authority on the matter. I'm chuckling at the notion that others do apparently claim authority on the matter because they dare to judge others for expressing themselves in a more grandiose manner than they do.

And, oh, by the way, because I know that it is not an uncommon critique of many men, myself included, that we don't show enough emotion, perhaps we shouldn't be in charge of deciding what is and is not excessive celebration.

Like I said, I don't tune in to watch the antics, I just don't get my panties in a twist over them.

Whatever. have a good one.

• Like 1

Was there really that many end-zone celebrations? I more or less only remember the highlighted ones, and I must say I found a lot of them really funny and I do not think they took anything away from the game or were time consuming at all. None of them took more time than a celebration do now.

For the taunting your opponent part: Grow a pair! I mean honestly, they talk non stop trash talk to each other during the entire game, but when they score it is somehow worse?

With that been said, I have never watched a game because of the end-zone celebrations and I really don't care if the players do them or not. That is not the reason why I watch football, but I do think it was quite innocent and it made NFL a bit more funny and my attract a casual fan once in a while. Why not let the players have some fun for 15 seconds when they are dead serious in the rest of the game?

+1 well said

And, oh, by the way, because I know that it is not an uncommon critique of many men, myself included, that we don't show enough emotion, perhaps we shouldn't be in charge of deciding what is and is not excessive celebration.

Sweet Jesus.