[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Standard Scoring

Scorcher

How many of you play in a standard league as opposed to PPR. I am in one standard league that I joined 6 years after it started. They basically feel that Standard scoring maintains the integrity of their league. I was wondering what others thought. All of my other leagues are PPR.

I like standard better - but I can see how ppr would increase the value of third down backs

You statement also reminds me that the draft strategy needs to be different. It seems to me that RB"S and QB's are way more important than WR's in having a winning season.

My main league is a 0,5 PPR league, and I think that is more fun than playing in a standard league or 1 PPR league, even though the difference in reality might be minimal compared to either.

I just like that the difference in scoring between QBs, RBs and WRs aren't too big or too small as it is (IMO) in standard or 1 PPR :D

I think PPR for WR's and TE's is a must. It really opens up the game, and it's not just a case of chasing RB's until you are blue in the face. You can win with modest RB's if you are making it up at other positions. In non-PPR, or PPR for RB leagues, RB's just dominate the scoring too much, and have a much more drastic supply/demand delta. If you don't get two good ones it's difficult to compete, and the draft turns into a game of checkers, racing to see who can get kinged first, rather than a chess match of sacrificing your bishop for his, knowing you play your knights better than your opponent does.

It really kicks in when you can flex. We start 1RB 2WR and a flex. It's a good system when you are looking at a decision between Bradshaw and Nate Washington. That's a no-brainer without WR PPR, but all of a sudden those 3-6 more points could be a nice boost.

We do .5 PPR for WR and full PPR for TE. You're going to see TE's drafted in the 2nd round, and for good reason. I love this, it's just more ways for owners to choose to manage and own their team's decisions and be able to remain competitive. Nothing sucks more than having a good team and losing a stud RB to injury, but in this league you can withstand it (I lost Peterson and Fred Jackson last year and won my league).

• Like 1

If you don't get two good ones it's difficult to compete, and the draft turns into a game of checkers, racing to see who can get kinged first, rather than a chess match of sacrificing your bishop for his, knowing you play your knights better than your opponent does.

You haven't played a lot of chess, haven't you? As a former chess player I can tell that I found it extremely funny!

Nothing sucks more than having a good team and losing a stud RB to injury, but in this league you can withstand it (I lost Peterson and Fred Jackson last year and won my league).

My main 12-team league has been standard since it started 11 years ago and people seem to like it. The problem is exactly as you state - with a >100pt differential at year's end between top RBs and top WRs, it's tough to compensate for a lemon. We've talked about switching to PPR for at least 5 years but never seem to get enough momentum to do it.

You haven't played a lot of chess, haven't you? As a former chess player I can tell that I found it extremely funny!

:shrug: I play a little bit of chess now, played more when I was younger. It has been my experience that many people have no clue how to use their knights properly.

Ok, back to football.

My main 12-team league has been standard since it started 11 years ago and people seem to like it. The problem is exactly as you state - with a >100pt differential at year's end between top RBs and top WRs, it's tough to compensate for a lemon. We've talked about switching to PPR for at least 5 years but never seem to get enough momentum to do it.

See about moving to a flex first. 1RB 2WR 1 FLEX. Once they have Brandon freaking Jacobs as their 3rd RB but Laurent Robinson or Victor Cruz off the wire as their WR3 they will see the light.

:shrug: I play a little bit of chess now, played more when I was younger. It has been my experience that many people have no clue how to use their knights properly.

Ok, back to football.

See about moving to a flex first. 1RB 2WR 1 FLEX. Once they have Brandon freaking Jacobs as their 3rd RB but Laurent Robinson or Victor Cruz off the wire as their WR3 they will see the light.

We are moving to flex this year.

Generally, I find that PPR is good for leagues that are not intense. It makes these leagues significantly more involved, owners pay greater attention because it is more fun to watch games when everytime your guy catches the ball you get a point...but I also find that intense leagues tend to be non-PPR. Just an observation.

How many of you play in a standard league as opposed to PPR. I am in one standard league that I joined 6 years after it started. They basically feel that Standard scoring maintains the integrity of their league. I was wondering what others thought. All of my other leagues are PPR.

Is it a TD only league?

I've been trying to get one of my locals to add ppr &/or a flex position for the past 3 years. Heck my other local won't even change to decimal point scoring.

I take it that league isn't IDP either.

I take it that league isn't IDP either.

Nope. Both my locals are redraft non-IDP. To be honest, I get kind of bored with them. I keep telling them they don't know what their missing with ppr, flex, ect...I just can't seem to change enough minds to be able to make a change. Maybe this year...

Generally, I find that PPR is good for leagues that are not intense. It makes these leagues significantly more involved, owners pay greater attention because it is more fun to watch games when everytime your guy catches the ball you get a point...but I also find that intense leagues tend to be non-PPR. Just an observation.

I've found it to be the opposite. My "locals" are non- PPR , my "intense" leagues are all PPR :shrug:

I haven't been in a non-PPR league in several years. Always felt too much like luck of the draw in those leagues with the people who lucked out and got a top 3 or 4 pick. My favorite scoring format is a tiered PPR. In one league, it's 1 pt TE, .75 pt WR, .5 pt RB. In another, it's 1.5 pt TE, 1 pt WR, .5 pt RB. I think some method of tiering TE to WR to RB seems to balance scoring the most. I just don't understand how people can still use standard scoring. It seems so outdated to me.

Standard scoring = TDs only

Performance scoring = yds plus TDs

PPR = pts for catches, plus yds and TDs

Just sayin'

And aLl of my leagues are ppr, with 2 of them being graduated ppr. The graduated ppr really helps to more closely normalize player value between running backs, wide receivers, and tight ends. That helps make those leagues much more competitive.

The graduated ppr really helps to more closely normalize player value between running backs, wide receivers, and tight ends. That helps make those leagues much more competitive.

This is what I've been trying to tell them. IMO, doing this and then allowing multiple lineup options would make for a more competitive & fun league.

Standard scoring = TDs only

Performance scoring = yds plus TDs

PPR = pts for catches, plus yds and TDs

Just sayin'

And aLl of my leagues are ppr, with 2 of them being graduated ppr. The graduated ppr really helps to more closely normalize player value between running backs, wide receivers, and tight ends. That helps make those leagues much more competitive.

t

Okay, thanks, didn't know that. I was talking about a performance scoring league.

Edited by Scorcher

• 3 weeks later...

Performance scoring here, no PPR (no IDP either). We've made several changes to our scoring rules over the past 5 years, and were TDs only at one time (back in the dark ages of doing fantasy scores during MNF from USA Today).

I'd like to go back to a flex, which we had at one time. Also wouldn't mind the PPR and kind of like the idea of the graduated system.

We first added points for yardage bonuses at certain levels, then made that very low for TE because too many were getting zero (and we have to start a TE). Now we're somewhat standard with 1/10 yards rush/rec and 1/50 passing, but still no fractional points.

ETA: Somebody mentioned the large (100+ point) gap from best RB to best WR, in our league there was only about 50 points from 1-3 (Rice-288, McCoy-266, Calvin-257) and there were also other WR and even 2 TE in the top 15 slots. Doing a tiered PPR would probably bring some of those WR/TE up closer.

Edited by stevegrab

Steve - it doesn't matter how much more RBs score than WRs. What matters is the margin between the best and worst RBs that FFers will have to start vs the margin between the best and worst WRs that your league starts. The only time a direct scoring comparison between positions matters in with flex players once starters are eliminated.

Steve - it doesn't matter how much more RBs score than WRs. What matters is the margin between the best and worst RBs that FFers will have to start vs the margin between the best and worst WRs that your league starts. The only time a direct scoring comparison between positions matters in with flex players once starters are eliminated.

I was commenting directly (without quoting) the post by stelhant that said

"with a >100pt differential at year's end between top RBs and top WRs,"

But I do get your point.

Wrong, RBs do not out score WRs by 100+ points. Standard League for points. Results for 2011.

Top RB - McCoy - 280.4 pts.

Top WR - Megatron - 232.8 pts.

However, the best way to solve the disparity is to require 3 WRs instead of 2 WRs. Makes consistency at WR very important, since WRs drop off faster than RBs.

Wrong, RBs do not out score WRs by 100+ points. Standard League for points. Results for 2011.

Top RB - McCoy - 280.4 pts.

Top WR - Megatron - 232.8 pts.

However, the best way to solve the disparity is to require 3 WRs instead of 2 WRs. Makes consistency at WR very important, since WRs drop off faster than RBs.

This is true but I was trying to draw a more general conclusion and averaged the last 4 years, rather than just looking at last year which was a bit screwy for QBs and WRs compared to the previous 3 years. If you do that the average difference between the top RB and top WR is around 85pts. The >100 pts number came before I had averaged in the calcs for last season. In both 2009 and 2010 season the top RB eclipsed the top WR by >100 pts.

In my standard league calcs, RB value decays faster than WR value by almost double up until last year, when RBs still decay faster but by only about 1.5 over the first 10 and 1.4 over the top 20. I used the 3-10-20 LAG analysis as suggested by DMD in his book (Average of top 3 RBs minus average of top 10 RBs, average of top 3 RBs - average of top 20 WRs). I think the drop off of WRs is consistently less than for RBs over the first 20 at each position.

One caveat is that, as someone has previously said in a couple of posts, this does not take into account the number of each position you have to start in your league.

Edited by stethant