[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pizza Recipies, including dough

Scooby's Hubby

This July 4th my friend wants to use his new BGE to make pizzas. I have read the "Pizza on the Egg" thread and understand that we should use the stone at or near 600 degrees. Thanks to Unta and Detlef for that thread.

My question to you all is that we would like to make our pizzas entirely from scratch, including the dough. What are the best recipies and how will this work on the Egg? Please advise and TIA :D

I posted this in that other thread and am going to post it here just because its that damn good: http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm . Verasano's is a must stop everytime I'm in Atlanta now but this has been a passion of his long before he opened a restaurant of his own. I've eaten at all the NY spots and Verasano's is right up at the top of great pizza places. Delfina in SF is also at the top of the list (thanks in part to an amazing fennel sausage). That spot in Phoenix that was ranked by someone as the best pizza in the country shouldn't even be on the list. (Pizza Bianco I think). It's adequate and no better.

The Egg did a wonderful job. Used Detlef's recipie (although he got the amounts for water and flour backwards), with the exception that I used yeast and let it activate for 20 minutes before I blended the other ingredients with it. Then after I put the dough in balls and in individual tupperwares, I let the dough rise at room temp for an hour, then I refrigerated until I used it the next day, about 24+ hours. The only hard part was my kneading inexperience. It took me until the 4th pizza (actually after 2 pizzas and 1 calzone) to get the dough thin enough. That 4th pizza was so good. In retrospect, I think my dough portions were too big for the size I was kneading.

I preheated the stone (600 F) and then did the raw crust for a couple of minutes before I put the toppings on it, basically because I wanted to top the pizza indoors rather than at the grill (next time I will just top the pizza at the grill).

Seattle Law Dawg, thank you for the link. I loved the pics and tried my best to immulate their pizza. BuddhaJ, thank you for taking the tiime to find the link to the recipies, I would not have been successful without that link.

Now, I feel as though I will only make my own dough, from now on. Very simple and I now have some experience under my belt.