[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Changing league to IDP help

I currently run a 12 team keeper league. The owners have voted to move to an IDP system and I am looking for some advice on the best format to use. Right now the talk is to have every team draft 6 defensive players (2 LB 2 DB 2 DL) and start one from each position. Do you also need to draft ST? What is the best way to set up the scoring? Having never played in an IDP league before I have to say I am flying blind right now. Any help would be much appreciated.

read the IDP help thread on this page. u should START at least 2 at each position (DL, DB and LB) if you want it to make an impact on your league. otherwise its just a waste with only a few IDP starting spots.

read the IDP help thread on this page. u should START at least 2 at each position (DL, DB and LB) if you want it to make an impact on your league. otherwise its just a waste with only a few IDP starting spots.

This.

Don't just feel the water - dive in.

Start with 3 DL, 3 LBs and 3DBs as IDP starters. Many here would be happy to help you transition.

Personally, I think you need to have 3 starters at each position minimum. Some people like to have a flex spot.

For IDP to be relevant at any level, you have to treat it equally to offense.

You'll find a lot of people here play in IDP Dynasty leagues that have a roster size of 40, for offense and defensive players combined. But I've also seen 35 work well.

Here's our IDP sections for our league's rulebook (We have a roster size of 40):

5.2 Weekly Lineups

Each Franchise may start up to 9 Offensive and 9 Defensive players, for a total of 18 players, each week in accordance with the line-up guidelines below:

Roster

Offense

QB

RB

WR

WR

WR

TE

K

Flex (RB/WR/TE)

Flex (RB/WR/TE) (Per 2012 Rule Review)

9 Total

Defense

DL

DL

DL

LB

LB

LB

DB

DB

DB

9 Total

5.4 Scoring

Scoring will be decimal based. Touchdowns scored by any player on an active line-up are counted. (Example: Tim Brown returns a punt for a TD, he is in that weeks line-up as a WR, he receives credit for the TD.) Offensive players who become "defensive" players after a fumble or interception receive credit for a tackle, for fumbles caused, and fumbles recovered, after change of possession. Those players playing "both ways" (i.e. snaps as both a defensive player and an offensive player) will receive both offensive and defensive points, however the league commissioner must be informed within 24 hours of that players game that he is entitled to receive offensive and defensive statistics.

PASSING

Passing TDs 1 4.00

Passing Yds 1 0.05

Passing Interception (thrown) 1 -1.00

2 Pt Conversion 1 2.00

RUSHING

Rushing TDs 1 6.00

Rushing Yds 1 0.10

Fumbles Lost 1 -2.00

2 Pt Conversion 1 2.00

RECEIVING

Receiving TDs 1 6.00

Receiving Yds 1 0.10

Receptions 1 1.00

Fumbles Lost 1 -2.00

2 Pt Conversion 1 2.00

KICKING

PAT 1 1.00

FG, 0-39 Yds 1 3.00

FG, 40-49 Yds 1 4.00

FG, 50+ Yds 1 5.00

DEFENSE

Tackle 1 2.00

Assist 1 1.00

Sack 1 3.00

Fumble Recovery 1 2.00

Forced Fumble 1 2.00

Interception 1 2.00

Pass Defended 1 1.50

Defensive TDs 1 6.00

Blocked FG 1 3.00

Blocked Punt 1 2.00

Safety 1 2.00

KR/PR/INT/FUM worth 0.04 per yard

Can't agree more with Kris N and kpholmes. If you're going to use IDP, you need to go all in. Yes, it makes the draft longer (we do a 28-round re-draft each season), but it just makes your team feel like a real roster. We start 3 DL, 3 LB and 3 DB. Usually, teams draft 3 or 4 at each defensive position to cover bye weeks. We also give weekly cash prizes to the highest scoring team offense AND the highest scoring team defense, so it pays to have studs on the IDP side of your roster.

• 2 weeks later...

My only reservation Commish on going all in is this league has members with varying amounts of experience. What are your thoughts if we drafted 3 DL 3LB 3DB and we started one from each position and two flex? Here is our scoring...

ATK - 1pt for every 2

BFG - 6

BFGTD - 6

BP- 6

BPTD - 6

DFR - 2

DFRTD - 6

BXP - 6

TD - 6

FF - 4

INT - 6

PDEF - 1

Sack - 4 with a 5pt bonus at 2 10pt bonus at 4

Safety - 10

Tackle - 1pt with a 5 pt bonus at 10

My only reservation Commish on going all in is this league has members with varying amounts of experience. What are your thoughts if we drafted 3 DL 3LB 3DB and we started one from each position and two flex? Here is our scoring...

ATK - 1pt for every 2

BFG - 6

BFGTD - 6

BP- 6

BPTD - 6

DFR - 2

DFRTD - 6

BXP - 6

TD - 6

FF - 4

INT - 6

PDEF - 1

Safety - 10

I would suggest starting 3 of each position. We started a IDP league last year and there were way too much talent on the waiver. We were only 8 owners though, but even with 12 owners i still think there would be too much talent on the waiver after the draft, and therefore drafting IDPs would be somewhat of an afterthought.

I would suggest starting 3 of each position. We started a IDP league last year and there were way too much talent on the waiver. We were only 8 owners though, but even with 12 owners i still think there would be too much talent on the waiver after the draft, and therefore drafting IDPs would be somewhat of an afterthought.

this....and your scoring system is a sack heavy format with....an 8 solo 2 assist day would be worth 10 pts....and a player with 2 sacks would score 15 pts (4 for each sack, plus 5 pt bonus, plus 2 pts for the 2 tackles (yes a sack generates a solo tackle))

ATK - 1pt for every 2

BFG - 6

BFGTD - 6

BP- 6

BPTD - 6

DFR - 2

DFRTD - 6

BXP - 6

TD - 6

FF - 4

INT - 6

PDEF - 1

Safety - 10

When my league began using IDP, we started 2 at each position, so that could work. But like papajohn said, there will be a lot of talent still on the waiver wire, especially at LB. We quickly moved to starting 3 at each position. Starting 3 isn't a big difference from starting 2 - just need to have a slightly longer draft sheet.