[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brees wins grievance over his tag designation

You have to assume that Brees signs before the season starts but it seems like one more bad thing lumped onto a season that has some major bad mojo going on for the Saints anyway. Brees is probably worth a ridiculously big payday anyway - imagine the Saints without him this year.

You have to assume that Brees signs before the season starts but it seems like one more bad thing lumped onto a season that has some major bad mojo going on for the Saints anyway. Brees is probably worth a ridiculously big payday anyway - imagine the Saints without him this year.

Which makes this whole thing just plain comical. They pretty much have to give him whatever he wants or the team is just gonna go straight into the crapper. Not any comparable QB's out there, but alot of teams that would pay Brees the moon to have him on their team.

Miami choose Daunte Culpepper over Brees. Wrap your head around that one.

Yeah, I remember that debate when it happened. As I recall, Culpepper seemed like the safer bet. Weren't they both coming off surgery, but Brees had a bigger question mark? Culpepper had been an All-Pro, Brees had not. How different things might have been.

The thing I keep wondering is how the Falcon's fortunes might have been different if they hadn't traded up for Vick. Didn't the two picks they ended up sending to San Diego end up being Brees and Tomlinson. Damn...

LT was one of the traded picks, but Brees was the Chargers own 2nd-round pick. Other players to the Chargers were Tim Dwight, 2001 3rd (T Cody) and a 2002 2nd (R Caldwell)

My broncos were so deperate for a stud qb that elway didn't even hesitate to sign a stud coming ff of his third neck surgery. Considering that brees is younger and healthy, it makes you wonder what nos is waiting for?

NO wants to pay market price. Brees wants $2M/year over market price. I can't fault NO on this - I don't see why Brees warrants being paid $2M/yr more than Brady and Manning.

That said, I side with Brees on his grievance. I don't think the intent of the franchise tag is to allow 3 FTs per team for each team a player plays for. Long term contracts with signing bonuses are the players' security against serious injury. That one year FT money looks great on the surface to all of us, but if a player has his career end with a bad injury during the FT year he's lost substantial earning ability and consequently a ton of money. But players like Brees also need to understand that they have to concede something also. If you want the security of a large signing bonus - the big guaranteed money - then you have to compromise some in yearly salary on that contract. Brees simply refuses to comply with that and wants it both ways.

Brees is still a union stooge, IMO. He will unthinking act in a lock-step knee-jerk manner with the union regardless of the issue, and will willing act as a union dupe in any action against the league. In the case above, I think he and the union were correct in their position as to the intent of the FT. But he needs to get his #### together and be willing to sign a long term deal for Brady/Manning money and understand how far ahead that gets him in the long run.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Miami choose Daunte Culpepper over Brees. Wrap your head around that one.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Every team in the NFL - including NE - passed on drafting Brady for at least 5 rounds. Remember that Brees looked like nothing but an average starter for the first part of his career, and there were claims of underacheiver and even bust attached to him from many corners early on - including here at this board.

It might be real interesting to see NO hold their ground, stand by the FT, and then swing a deal with NE for Mallet. Then they could work a sign-and-trade deal next year with any numbers of teams who would love to have Brees as their QB - which could easily recoup them what they spend on Mallet and then some. Let Mallet get his legs under him in the NO system for a year and then turn over the reins and see what happens.

I know it won't happen and is downright fantasy, but it sure is intriguing.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I think he's worth more than Manning. Brees is just as good, but younger and healthier.

I can't argue with that, but my position on Manning right now is pretty well known and I think Elway overpaid given Manning's risks. But in comparison to Brady? Not seeing it. That should be the standard for Brees, and it's pretty damned arrogant on his part, IMO, to think he ought to be making 11% more than that standard.

I think I still see Brees as one of the good guys in the NFL but all the union stuff and his contract bs is starting to grate on me. He needs to sign and stop talking about the bounty-gate. His club needs some good press and a shining light toward the future. His signing would put some positive news in the media that they desperately need. Makes me wonder if NO is loathe to pay tens of millions of dollars to a guy who's not a company man but rather a union banner carrier.

• Like 1

He's small, potentially fragile having been injured already, and right on the cusp of coming, potentially, to his downside due to age. Still, right now, he is top tier and really quite amazing. For the next two years I would likely only choose Rodgers ahead of him. Peyton is done or clearly downside, Eli I don't like as much. Three years from now I could see Newton and R,G. passing him up, along with Eli. Obviosly Flacco, Cutler, Ryan, Stafford, are also ascendant so I don't really see him as that unique an advantage past maybe this year or so. Vick is no slouch, potentially Luck and Ponder are comming up along with Bradford. I love him but don't find him so unique that he sould be treated as a one of a kind.

I understand the players' frustration with the franchise tag designation, but they just signed a new CBA. If it was such an issue, they should have negotiated better terms. Logic tells us that the owners would go right on using the tag as they always have, especially after players lost the ability to accrue a full season after showing up in week 10.

Having said that, if the players really want to try and claw back some leverage then one or multiple franchised players need to sit out the season. I don't see Forte, Rice, or Welker having the financial resources and wherewithall to pull this off, but Brees just might. It's the "nuclear" option where everyone loses but in the end that's the only play they have, under the CBA they negotiated and agreed on, to fight the tag. Hopefully wiser heads prevail.

http://espn.go.com/n...act-sources-say

Brees is a great talent. He is clearly not a team guy. His ego has led him down a strange path. My experience is, however, that fans forgive anything so I do not expect Saint's fans to agree that he is not a team guy or that he has out of control little man ego problems.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

A commitment of 1/6th of the salary cap to one player is a major commitment.

I wonderknow if Saints fans are as happy as they were last year when Brees was padding his stats. Those stats seem now to have gone to his head.

Regardless I think this will get worked out, and very quickly now.

http://espn.go.com/n...act-sources-say

Brees is a great talent. He is clearly not a team guy. His ego has led him down a strange path. My experience is, however, that fans forgive anything so I do not expect Saint's fans to agree that he is not a team guy or that he has out of control little man ego problems.

So when NFL teams try leverage a player with a rookie contract or franchise tag it's just business, but if a player tries to use his leverage back he's not a team player? Rubbish. If it's a business to one, then it is a business to both. They both have a lot to lose and are playing hardball but I think a deal will get done. It's funny how Brees is painted as both a players union stooge and as a selfish non-team player in the same thread.

So when NFL teams try leverage a player with a rookie contract or franchise tag it's just business, but if a player tries to use his leverage back he's not a team player? Rubbish. If it's a business to one, then it is a business to both. They both have a lot to lose and are playing hardball but I think a deal will get done. It's funny how Brees is painted as both a players union stooge and as a selfish non-team player in the same thread.

Exactly. I never understood why anyone took any side in regards to negotiations. No one is right, no one is wrong. They are both greedy, and they are both trying to get the best deal for themselves. That's how it should be.

In general, I'd be on the side of square and fleming on this, but for one issue. And, frankly, I have no idea as to whether this even applies.

Now, if Brees somehow feels that the Saints are violating the agreed upon terms of how teams and players are supposed to go about this, then what the hell. Go get paid, Drew.

However, if the issue is that he's arguing that the new system is unfair, then screw him. Like others have said, it's the deal they just negotiated and, if I had to guess, they gave in on some things that they now wish they hadn't in the name of a bigger overall cut. Well, you can't have your cake and eat it.

Honestly, I actually have no interest at all in looking into the matter enough to know which of the above is the case. It still comes down to very wealthy men arguing over how to split money they're collectively making a ton of on the backs of a financially strapped public. Which is entirely in their right, but they shouldn't expect me to take up either of their sides.

Exactly. I never understood why anyone took any side in regards to negotiations. No one is right, no one is wrong. They are both greedy, and they are both trying to get the best deal for themselves. That's how it should be.

Exactly. As much as I want Brees on the Saints roster this season I can't say I blame him for trying to get the best deal possible. I certainly don't think it's selfish of him. He has much more than his teamates and us fans to consider. I'm sure there are some fans who are taking this all personally and are upset with him, but most fans understand and appreciate how much he's done for, not just this team, but the community as a whole. No matter what happens he'll always be a Saint in our minds & quite possibly the best player & person to ever grace our turf. I still think a deal will get done as well though.