[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Am I Dreaming Or Are The Pittsburgh Pirates In First Place ?

Menudo

Money ball is a joke. Oakland has never won anything because of the ridiculous notion of "money ball." bad argument. Hey, I'm pulling for the pirates this year. It's a good story. But I know the phillies will be back next season with a healthy roster, a great rotation, and a boat load of funds given to them by their great fanbase!

Money ball is a joke. Oakland has never won anything because of the ridiculous notion of "money ball." bad argument. Hey, I'm pulling for the pirates this year. It's a good story. But I know the phillies will be back next season with a healthy roster, a great rotation, and a boat load of funds given to them by their great fanbase!

Oakland has never won a World Series with the moneyball strategy. However, they accomplished quite a bit with it. Fans of teams that can spend twice as much as half the teams don't want to admit the ridiculous advantage they have. As for your great fanbase comment, why weren't the Phillies filling up their stadium before they started winning ? They have one of the most populous cities in the country. That stadium should NEVER have any empty seats. If there was one and only one car lot in Annville, PA and one and only one car lot in New York City, who do you think would profit more ?

If you're trying to argue that having 2x or more salary than everyone else doesn't help, you're either oblivious or ignorant. The Pirates had a great win over a quickly improving STL team today in 19 innings. They look to be back on track. For a team that hasn't had a winning season in 20 years this is great. Hopefully the Pirates have gotten it back together and can grab a wild card spot or maybe even catch the Reds. The Pirates are poised to be very good for the next 5 years with very good top level talent in the minors. Selling this talent for players the Pirates couldn't resign, or wouldn't want to have as long term overpaid options.

Last time I checked Google Earth it showed that Pittsburgh was in fact a metropolis. Please stop with argument that Pittsburgh is a small town. It is a major US city. It has tall buildings and everything. My only point is that baseball is a funny game, and the unexpected happens more often than not. You guys cannot assume that your team will be In contention for the next 5 years because you are young, and have a loaded farm system. Prospects are just that, prospects. Cole, marte, etc..may not be the players everyone thinks they are when they reach the MLB level. For example Dom Brown. We wouldnt trade him for Babe Ruth a few seasons ago because he was a great prospect. He blows at the mlb level, and now we cant give him away. Prospects COULD be good, but no one knows for sure. That being said, you have to try to win this year, and not look to the future each season, because that magical season may never come. I should know being a philly fan.

You said the same about the pens after they won the cup a few years ago. They were so young and talented, they will just win and win and win. It doesn't work that way. Flyers too. Now they are young, talented, and playoff tested. So what? Each organization has to "go for it" each and every season, not prepare for the great year they'll have in 2014.

Last time I checked Google Earth it showed that Pittsburgh was in fact a metropolis. Please stop with argument that Pittsburgh is a small town. It is a major US city. It has tall buildings and everything. My only point is that baseball is a funny game, and the unexpected happens more often than not. You guys cannot assume that your team will be In contention for the next 5 years because you are young, and have a loaded farm system. Prospects are just that, prospects. Cole, marte, etc..may not be the players everyone thinks they are when they reach the MLB level. For example Dom Brown. We wouldnt trade him for Babe Ruth a few seasons ago because he was a great prospect. He blows at the mlb level, and now we cant give him away. Prospects COULD be good, but no one knows for sure. That being said, you have to try to win this year, and not look to the future each season, because that magical season may never come. I should know being a philly fan.

You said the same about the pens after they won the cup a few years ago. They were so young and talented, they will just win and win and win. It doesn't work that way. Flyers too. Now they are young, talented, and playoff tested. So what? Each organization has to "go for it" each and every season, not prepare for the great year they'll have in 2014.

Philadelphia population is 1,536,471

Pittsburgh population is 307,484 (Some Metropolis, lol)

It is much easier to sell tickets, charge more, sell merchandise, etc. when your population is 1,536,471, as compared to 307,484, and that doesn't even get into the suburbs, which are also much larger.

First off, Marte is already in the Pros, and has shown that he is the real deal. He has power, speed, an incredible arm, and has adjusted quickly to major league pitching. Also, I agree that no players are sure things, but, Cole & Taillon are as close as it gets. The Pirates made extremely intelligent moves at the deadline.

They got Wandy Rodriguez. Though you are downplaying him, and he isn't off to the greatest start for the Pirates, the guy has 5 season's in the row with ERA's in the low to mid 3's, and that is playing in an extremely hitter friendly ballpark in Arizona. We got him fairly cheap, and I'm confident he will help this rotation down the stretch. He is also under team control for 2 more years.

They got Travis Snider for basically nothing. Snider was pretty much blocked out by the Blue Jays talented outfield, The kid is still young, and he as hit over .300 since coming over. He has definitely improved the lineup. He is also under team control for two more years.

They got Gabby Sanchez for an outfielder who will never hit and a draft pick. Sanchez was an all-star last year, had 19 homers in his first two major league seasons, and is a good defensive first baseman. Having him improves our bench extensively, as one of Garrett Jones, Snider or Sanchez isn't starting, so, the Bucs finally have pop on the bench. He is also under team control for the next two years.

The Pirates made moves to improve their team THIS YEAR, while keeping a strong core together for NEXT YEAR and the future. Making a move for a Pence, Greinke or Lee rental would have been incredibly stupid. It would have maybe given them a slightly better chance this year (which with the way Pence & Greinke are playing is arguable), but, at the price of giving up the type of talent those teams were asking for would have been a killer.

You simply need to be more well informed before making silly comments, Fitz. This isn't as bad as saying that Polamalu won't make the Hall of Fame, but, it's close. :)

Edited by Menudo

I'm happy for the Pirates but for the love of all that is holy please stop posting Raise the Jolly Roger on FB. I didn't want to bust your balls there but I'm happy to do so here.

No, I will not stop. :)

Marte will be an average MLB outfielder. Book it!

:lol: Ooooh, book it. This coming from a guy who I'd guess has never even seen him play, and obviously knows zero about the Pirates, based on previous silly comments in this thread.

23 years old and has hit at every level.

Has an arm that already has runners stopping in their tracks....... :link:

Homered on his 1st MLB pitch: :link:

Kid has blazing speed that rivals McCutchen

He has pure power, as evidenced by a 430+ shot to straight away CF in Pittsburgh

So, if it's all the same to you, I'll go with what I've seen when watching him, over the opinion of someone who I'm quite sure wouldn't know who Starling Marte was if he smacked him in the face.

Just to educate you a bit, here is a list of top prospects written by people who know a bit more than both of us. It includes 4 Pirates, 2 of which are in the Top 10, but, zero Phillies.

:link:

However, since baseball is such a fair game, I'm sure the Phillies will just buy their way into some talent. However, do they really have the money to withstand Ryan Howard's contract (great move :tup:), Lee, Halladay, & Utley's contract, as they all head to the down-slide of their careers, along with Hamels new contract. All of that, and they have no prospects near major league ready. Good luck with all that.

Edited by Menudo

I'm happy for the Pirates but for the love of all that is holy please stop posting Raise the Jolly Roger on FB. I didn't want to bust your balls there but I'm happy to do so here.

:lol:

I know Menudo will think I'm just jumping on board here, but a big +1.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to unsubscribe to the JR posts. I visit fb so infrequently I just don't have time to wade through it all. :shrug:

And yes, Pitt is a small market, like KC, Oakland, Tampa and a few other places. The question comes down to what is the business entity - the team or the league? Sure, you can get rid of them, but how much would baseball be worth if you only have the teams who can afford to spend unlimited amounts of money? Plus, with the talent pool, it'd be like an 8-team league in fantasy football. It would be purely luck and injury which dictated champions, imo. :shrug:

Baseball should have some kind of salary cap. That's the only reason that the NFL is as healthy as it is. :shrug:

Edited by westvirginia

The only problem is I want them to win.

Even though I'm generally impartial to most baseball teams and supportive of small market underdogs; I don't want the Pirates to win. When Menudo's teams are doing well, he has an uncanny ability to make me want to cheer against them (and I realize that's a weakness of my own doing).

Raise the Jolly Rodger!!!

Meanwhile my Orioles are the true underdog story of MLB . Suck it Menudo.

I was going to text you about them. Unbelievably enfuego recently. Rooting for them as well (although somewhat ironically, I rooted for the Pirates against the Orioles in the first World Series I watched in '79). I was all caught up in that Sister Sledge stuff.

I was going to text you about them. Unbelievably enfuego recently. Rooting for them as well (although somewhat ironically, I rooted for the Pirates against the Orioles in the first World Series I watched in '79). I was all caught up in that Sister Sledge stuff.

It has been so long since they have been competitive. Buck has them playing well and they are young and the Yanks and Sox arent as dominant as they used to be. Hopefullt the AL east strangehold gets broken but they have to finish strong

It has been so long since they have been competitive. Buck has them playing well and they are young and the Yanks and Sox arent as dominant as they used to be. Hopefullt the AL east strangehold gets broken but they have to finish strong

would be refreshing to have someone other than the yankees and sox come out of there.

would be refreshing to have someone other than the yankees and sox come out of there.

Yep. The Rays have broken the barrier in recent years but its been ages for the O's. I really hope they can raise the Orange Roger