[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Am I Dreaming Or Are The Pittsburgh Pirates In First Place ?

Menudo

Yep. The Rays have broken the barrier in recent years but its been ages for the O's. I really hope they can raise the Orange Roger

nod... the yankees have had a rare few 2nd and 3rd place finishes in the division over the past 10 years...but mostly 1st.

Congrats Whomper.....I'll definitely be rooting for the Orioles during the stretch run. As for the Pirates, they are completely falling apart. They will be lucky to finish over .500 at this rate.

• 2 weeks later...

Phillies now have a better record than the Pirates! And they have accomplished this by using their farm system arms in both the rotation and the bullpen. In a season where I couldn't imagine having worse injury woes, the Fightins will still finish above .500. Remarkable.

Phillies now have a better record than the Pirates! And they have accomplished this by using their farm system arms in both the rotation and the bullpen. In a season where I couldn't imagine having worse injury woes, the Fightins will still finish above .500. Remarkable.

Congrats, the Phillies with a 180 million dollar payroll who started the season as 7/1 odds to win the World Series are 1 game ahead of the Pirates, who have a 50 million dollar payroll and started the season as 70/1 odds to win the World Series.

Phillies fans should be embarrassed, but, are instead celebrating. They never cease to amaze me.

Congrats, the Phillies with a 180 million dollar payroll who started the season as 7/1 odds to win the World Series are 1 game ahead of the Pirates, who have a 50 million dollar payroll and started the season as 70/1 odds to win the World Series.

Phillies fans should be embarrassed, but, are instead celebrating. They never cease to amaze me.

Philly fans are not celebrating at all. This has been one of the most disappointing seasons that I can remember. We have had mostly terrible Phillies teams in the past, but there were never expectations. This year, was supposed to be a good season, but the injuries were devastating. The payroll you continue to bring up, was lost for most of the year with injury. We were playing ball with minor league talent for the majority of the season.

Last time I checked, we live in America. The land of opportunity. If you WANT to win, spend some bread, and do it.

Philly fans are not celebrating at all. This has been one of the most disappointing seasons that I can remember. We have had mostly terrible Phillies teams in the past, but there were never expectations. This year, was supposed to be a good season, but the injuries were devastating. The payroll you continue to bring up, was lost for most of the year with injury. We were playing ball with minor league talent for the majority of the season.

Last time I checked, we live in America. The land of opportunity. If you WANT to win, spend some bread, and do it.

If you don't realize that some teams have an enormous advantage due to the size of their market, then you are delusional. Philadelphia has six times the population of Pittsburgh, and that is just in the city. The suburbs make it probably close to 9 times larger. This makes it a bit easier to fill your stadium while charging more for tickets, selling merchandise, selling food, tv contracts, radio deals, etc. etc. That is why every other sport has a salary cap. The Phillies are playing with a very large advantage over most of the other teams.

If you don't realize that some teams have an enormous advantage due to the size of their market, then you are delusional. Philadelphia has six times the population of Pittsburgh, and that is just in the city. The suburbs make it probably close to 9 times larger. This makes it a bit easier to fill your stadium while charging more for tickets, selling merchandise, selling food, tv contracts, radio deals, etc. etc. That is why every other sport has a salary cap. The Phillies are playing with a very large advantage over most of the other teams.

Pittsburgh is inferior to most other cities in the US, why shouldn't their sports teams be? :shrug::pokey::lol:

Seriously though, I couldn't agree more. Baseball needs a salary cap or revenue sharing arrangement of some kind. The big market teams need to realize that if you cut down to only the teams in cities big enough to really support them, you'd have about 10 teams nationwide and the talent would be so awesome on each team the winner every year would be decided by sheer luck. Think of it like the difference between a 12-team FF league and an 8-team league. :shrug: