[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

As an NFL Season Ticket Holder

lennykravitz2004

I agree 100% in the sentiment of "voting with their wallet". Really debated renewing this year, especially with all the drama and shenanigans surrounding the dome here in STL.

Fans making clear that they want lower prices

Posted by Mike Florio on July 10, 2012, 6:55 AM EDT

The push to give NFL fans who attend games more continues to overlook that they’d prefer to simply pay less.

The point was hammered home for us on Sunday night and Monday morning, when a space-filling item about the steady drop in paid attendance since 2007 racked up more than 150 approved comments.

But since in many respects the NFL sets the agenda for its coverage by talking not about dropping prices but by adding bells and whistles, no one in the media seems to be sensitive to the burgeoning uprising of fans who are voting with their

And so, while it’s critical to make the in-stadium experience at least as good as the home experience, the bottom line is the bottom line. Unless and until owners are willing to give up some of the windfall that comes from $13 tubs of stale popcorn and one beer that costs more than a six-pack at a store, more and more people when faced with the prospect of schlepping to the local stadium will borrow a

and stay home.

AND I'm on the hook for Sunday Ticket too... at least either Directv, the NFL, or both wised up on the pricing of this programming.

Original story about declining attendance.

After peaking in 2007, NFL attendance steadily has declined

Posted by Mike Florio on July 8, 2012, 9:39 PM EDT

The recent focus on reducing blackouts has obscured a more important stat when it comes to keep NFL balance sheets deep in the black.

Despite unprecedented growth of TV audiences, attendance at NFL games reached an all-time high in 2007. It has consistently dropped ever since.

In 2011, the NFL posted the lowest total attendance since the league expanded to 32 teams in 2002 with the addition of the Houston Texans. That year, 16,883,310 paying customers attended the 256 regular-season games. The number climbed over the next five years, maxing out at 17,345,205 in 2007.

Since then, the numbers has dropped each year. In 2011, the total paid attendance of 16,562,706 was lower than the prior year’s 16,569,514, even though the 2010 figure excluded the Giants-Vikings game that was moved to Ford Field after the roof of the Metrodome collapsed.

It translates to an average paid crowd of 64,698. That’s the lowest per-game number since 1998, when 64,020 tickets were bought per game for 240 total regular-season contests.

Repeated shrinkage over the last half decade underscores the challenge the NFL is facing. At a time when everything else regarding the sport is growing, the league has seen its paying customers steadily drop by more than 4.5 percent since 2007.

And so, on the subject of the various changes being made to make the in-stadium experience as good or better than staying home, the NFL isn’t being proactive. The NFL instead is reacting to a troubling downward trend.

This is the west coast talking, but when 9am rolls around, I can crawl out of bed and roll downstairs to a couch located 10 feet from a stocked fridge, 20 feet from a toilet, and about 8 feet from a 48" HDTV with the Red Zone channel showing. Throw in the wireless connection and a bong, and I'm likely not moving for 12 hours.

I suspect that I'm not the only one who feels this way, and the NFL attendance decline reflects these conveniences the league has provided its fans.

• Like 3

As a fellow season ticket holder I hear 100% what you're saying. I actually don't mind shelling out the cash for the regular season. What irks me more is having to pay for the preseason. Those 2 games are the biggest waste of money/time. Why doesn't the NFL actually make a difference and invite the fans for free (donations accepted) to those games and donate the proceeds to charity (not the huddler)?

Edited by Jolly Rodgers

This is the west coast talking, but when 9am rolls around, I can crawl out of bed and roll downstairs to a couch located 10 feet from a stocked fridge, 20 feet from a toilet, and about 8 feet from a 48" HDTV with the Red Zone channel showing. Throw in the wireless connection and a bong, and I'm likely not moving for 12 hours.

I suspect that I'm not the only one who feels this way, and the NFL attendance decline reflects these conveniences the league has provided its fans.

:tup:

I like your style.

I agree. It beats fighting the traffic and crowd before and after a game. We're down to splitting two season ticket seats with another couple. I'm trying to convince my wife that going to NFL games is a hassle, but so far I've had no luck. She loves the sights and sounds in the stadium.

As a fellow season ticket holder I hear 100% what you're saying. I actually don't mind shelling out the cash for the regular season. What irks me more is having to pay for the preseason. Those 2 games are the biggest waste of money/time. Why doesn't the NFL actually make a difference and invite the fans for free (donations accepted) to those games and donate the proceeds to charity (not the huddler)?

Great idea. I know lots of fans that would love to see stadiums but won't shell out for a ticket. Just make pre-season games open to come and go as you please. They must break even at least on concessions? Most of those games are 3/4 empty for the entire 2nd half. Let people show up and sit where they want. Heck, charge $5 whether for charity or to the team. If I was near a stadium, I'd donate $10 to see the 2nd half and have a few beers.

If I am understanding your correctly, and I think I am, you would like to see a bonging section at your local stadium. I can see it now, venders roling through that section: "Skunk Josh Gordon! Get your skunk Josh Gordon here!" "Oreos, Tinkies, Brownies! Get your munchies here!"

I presume this would be a premium seating package and might cost a bit more.

Was a Niner season ticket holder for many years. Had the tailgating down to a science, never left early no matter what. But it just got to expensive and full price for preseason always ticked me off. Lounge chair, the NFL Ticket, Redzone and a laptop are SOP for me now.

Those were the days, LoL. Now I am begging my kids to be quiet, pacing up and down sweating bets and fantasy points ...

I have a friend here in Texas that is a Steelers season ticket holder. He flies to Pitt for every game, I don;t see how he does it.

His dad was actually the team photographer back in the 70's. He woulda been on the plane with Clemente, but b/c of the immaculate reception, he had to do another game, the immaculate reception saved his dad's life. Crazy story ...

I agree. It beats fighting the traffic and crowd before and after a game. We're down to splitting two season ticket seats with another couple. I'm trying to convince my wife that going to NFL games is a hassle, but so far I've had no luck. She loves the sights and sounds in the stadium.

For some reason I can just never find a reason to feel sorry for you. :thinking:

Anything would be better than paying full price for preseason, and being forced to do so in order to have a season ticket. Half price, an option not to buy. When I had season tickets with another guy we'd each take a pair for pre-season and take a family member or friend who wanted to go see an NFL game. That person rarely paid for a ticket but may have covered parking and consessions or drinks/food before/after the game.

http://e.businessins...m/public/392636

Price for a small beer... at least the Rams are leading the NFL in something other than sacks allowed, rushing yards allowed per game, passing yards allowed per game. points allowed per game...

Hate to break it to you, but the Rams are NOT the leader of most expensive beer as most are led to believe. The cost of a 20oz draft is $9 = .45cents per oz

The cost of a 12oz draft in Indy is $7 = .58cents per ounce.

So, yeah, the Rams get shafted again. And to make matters worse, there are 9 teams with a higher per oz cost than the Rams.

Hate to break it to you, but the Rams are NOT the leader of most expensive beer as most are led to believe. The cost of a 20oz draft is $9 = .45cents per oz

So, yeah, the Rams get shafted again. And to make matters worse, there are 9 teams with a higher per oz cost than the Rams.

Great. My team can't even win at losing! :doh:

lol, you're a lucky man, stop complaining :D

For some reason I can just never find a reason to feel sorry for you. :thinking:

Yeah, doc, you need to have a coke and a smile and shut the fluck up. :smash:

[yodavoice] The envy is strong in these three.[/yodavoice]

Typically poor story/study where all "small" beers were treated equally without regard for size. I'm pretty sure Cleveland's small draft beer is at least 16oz, possibly 20 (I know they sell mostly 16 cans in the stands).

I have a friend here in Texas that is a Steelers season ticket holder. He flies to Pitt for every game, I don;t see how he does it.

His dad was actually the team photographer back in the 70's. He woulda been on the plane with Clemente, but b/c of the immaculate reception, he had to do another game, the immaculate reception saved his dad's life. Crazy story ...

This is kind of a weird question, but is his dad's name Duane Rieder? I'm asking because I just visited the Roberto Clemente museum with some family and we were told the same story about the immaculate reception - the photographer who had either submitted most of the photographs or was the museum curator (I forget exactly how he was associated with the museum) had his life actually saved by the immaculate reception.

You just need to quit counting a blessing as a curse, mano!

Just had two more stents put in my heart. Walking in, around, and out of a stadium to where we park isn't the blessing you might imagine.