[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Arian Foster going Vegan?

tazinib1

He recently tweeted he's gonna try to go Vegan. Hmmm..he does realize that you lose significant muscle mass with the loss of protein right? He's had muscle issues before. Now training camp in closing in and the weather in Houston does not bode well for people with a history of muscle pulls, strains. I'm no doctor, but the timing of this and other factors raises a red flag IMO. I'd think twice drafting him #1 overall and if I'm the Texans brass, I'd make damn sure he has the best Vegan advisor money can buy.

that crap won;'t last through training camp

Agreed, but the underlying issue is why is he deciding NOW to screw up his body? Wouldn't a more feasible time frame for this "experiment" be when the season ended?

I have great respect for the people who choose to be Vegans. Hell, there is ALWAYS one on every set I work on, not to mention the numerous Vegetarians. But this just smacks in the face of idiocy IMO.

Agreed, but the underlying issue is why is he deciding NOW to screw up his body? Wouldn't a more feasible time frame for this "experiment" be when the season ended?

I have great respect for the people who choose to be Vegans. Hell, there is ALWAYS one on every set I work on, not to mention the numerous Vegetarians. But this just smacks in the face of idiocy IMO.

Why?

Ever hear of supplements for protien loss? And not the kind of supplement you get when hugging Stewarts nuts. He will be fine. Stay away from him and draft Mathews instead

And supplements tend to take longer for your body to adjust to. Like I said before, he picked a bad time to try this "experiment" on the heals of training camp IMO

He recently tweeted he's gonna try to go Vegan. Hmmm..he does realize that you lose significant muscle mass with the loss of protein right? He's had muscle issues before. Now training camp in closing in and the weather in Houston does not bode well for people with a history of muscle pulls, strains. I'm no doctor, but the timing of this and other factors raises a red flag IMO. I'd think twice drafting him #1 overall and if I'm the Texans brass, I'd make damn sure he has the best Vegan advisor money can buy.

I think this is blown way out of proportion. Also, vegan's can find protein from plenty of sources. This dude has been vegan for years.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoVyqtfxPcC4Ai_yJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMTQ4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dmac%2Bdanzig%26fr%3Dyfp-t-701%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D7&w=778&h=1033&imgurl=4.bp.blogspot.com%2F_no-WlVHhQKU%2FS_ylZBUNyfI%2FAAAAAAAACV0%2FU5tt4Wgp72o%2Fs1600%2FkennethcappelloMACdanzig3.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fkennethcappelloblog.blogspot.com%2F2010%2F05%2Fmac-danzig.html&size=78.8+KB&name=MAC+DANZIG...&p=mac+danzig&oid=38437a34067293e75c98ffe4d434d86c&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t-701&tt=MAC%2BDANZIG...&b=0∋=176&no=7&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=11vlank6m&sigb=1338rdoaj&sigi=136m1g63h&.crumb=JLa/SBDGmra

I do not get the Vegan lifestyle but to each his own. I am keeping him in two leagues and this does worry me but not losing sleep. Training for a fight is much much different than the riggers of playing pro football from July to January plus prep in offseason, but I could be wrong.

Good luck on finding good vegan high protein supplements. Whey protein comes from cows milk and is not a vegan staple. He could go soy, but mass amounts of soy in male diets has been linked to higher estrogen levels and lower T levels. I guess he could load up on nuts and beans, but still those really do not have a "high" protein level.

Edited by Grimm74

Because I respect people who choose to live their life the way they want? Not that I agree...but respected never-the-less.

Right, but don't meat eaters, vegeterians and others who eat/favor (or don't eat) certain foods all fit that category. I'm a meat eater, always have been always will be. So you respect me as well for living my life the way I want (even if the vegeterians around me think its horrible that I eat meat).

Going vegan or vegeterian, or totally organic take more effort that is for sure. And it can be more costly as those foods are less common therefore they have a higher price.

I do agree that this seems to be a strange time to do this. The offseason would be a better time for an athlete to make drastic changes in their diet.

Tony Gonzalez is mostly vegan...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120122116182915297.html

That article cements the fears that I have for Foster. Even though he finally recovered some muscle mass mid season after finally incorporating some meat into his diet, the truth is it failed him miserably in the beginning. And he is a TE, not a RB.

I do not get the Vegan lifestyle but to each his own. I am keeping him in two leagues and this does worry me but not losing sleep. Training for a fight is much much different than the riggers of playing pro football from July to January plus prep in offseason, but I could be wrong.

Good luck on finding good vegan high protein supplements. Whey protein comes from cows milk and is not a vegan staple. He could go soy, but mass amounts of soy in male diets has been linked to higher estrogen levels and lower T levels. I guess he could load up on nuts and beans, but still those really do not have a "high" protein level.

Further proof that veganism is ghey :lol:

I have nothing against vegans and I am sure that you can live a healthy life that way, but no way in hell is it a good idea to become a vegan while you are a top-notch RB in the NFL, and no way Foster would do it if he hadn't got paid.

Anybody who thinks you can substitute meat with soy or high protein supplements as a NFL RB (not in general) are dead wrong, and it is not even close.

I have nothing against vegans and I am sure that you can live a healthy life that way, but no way in hell is it a good idea to become a vegan while you are a top-notch RB in the NFL, and no way Foster would do it if he hadn't got paid.

Anybody who thinks you can substitute meat with soy or high protein supplements as a NFL RB (not in general) are dead wrong, and it is not even close.

Not for nothing, but that is the kind of statement that I would normally hope to see underlined in blue with a link embedded in it showing why this is so undeniable.

And, for the record, I'm not inclined to believe that it's a good idea either, but that's a pretty strong statement to just throw out there and not back up with anything.

This ^^

The protein quality you get from red meat is hard to replace and there are plenty of studies out there supporting this. Also, soy which is a common protein substitute is becoming more unpopular, as studies are finding that it converts to estrogen easily and is also a very heavy sprayed pesticide crop. IMO, Vegans always look sickly and pale. Early man was eating nuts, berries and red meat to evolve and not be eaten by Saber Tooth Tigers. I'm not sure we would have evolved as quckly on soy beans:)