[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

That's what you get for being good - Josh Gordon to CLE

DMD

Josh Gordon has been the hot property in the supplemental draft and he was taken with a second round pick by the Browns. Gordon has a less than exemplary conduct record in his past but had played with Robert Griffin III for one year as I recall. Browns lose their second pick in 2013.

Gordon was suspended indefinitely from Baylor for a Josh Gordon arrest. He sat out 2011 after transferring to Utah. Second round is not bad for a guy who has not played since 2010 and has a spotty character file on him.

Shows the Browns are trying to upgrade at receiver. Greg Little may be a good one and now they will hopefully have a second decent receiver at least until the first time they test him for drugs. Adding QB Brandon Weeden may now pay some more dividends.

A 2nd rounder in 2013? Man thats gonna be a high pick too. He certainly won't fit into any return team as his speed is less than desirable for a returner, be it KO's or Punts. Plus its been noted that Josh Cribbs will be scaled back on offense and will handle both kickoffs exclusively (I thought he already did :shrug:). I think he could crack the starting lineup this year, overtaking Massaquoi and his concussion issues. Never-the-less, he is sure to be THE hot WW pickup now that he is officially eligible.

Guy plays essentially 1 year of college football, has 2 good games against 2 of the worst pass Ds in the FBS and was pretty much locked down and did little in 8 of his 11 other games despite having arguably the best QB in college football throwing to him and playing a schedule loaded with weak Ds. Then you have all the off-field baggage.

Not seeing how this kid is going to be a difference maker in the NFL

• Like 1

Guy plays essentially 1 year of college football, has 2 good games against 2 of the worst pass Ds in the FBS and was pretty much locked down and did little in 8 of his 11 other games despite having arguably the best QB in college football throwing to him and playing a schedule loaded with weak Ds. Then you have all the off-field baggage.

Not seeing how this kid is going to be a difference maker in the NFL

^^^^ agreed

Yes, he played only two good games and only one season. And getting picked with a second round selection means the Browns valued him as a top 40 pick next year? In most years, that would be maybe the 4th or 5th best WR in the nation who would get drafted there. Really?

Another thing to take into consideration is the WR talent in next years draft. It won't even come close to this year...and that's not saying a whole lot. Matter of fact, I think its one of the worst WR classes in 10 years. Bold statement I know, but the entire draft next year on both sides of the ball is going to be weak at best. Yes you will have your blue chippers that go with the first 10 picks or so, but when you get into the second round, things are not gonna be looking so great. So I really don't blame them for taking a shot on a guy that had 2nd to 1st round grades (depending on what NFL GM you are talking to). The WR core in Cleveland is one of the worst in the league, so he will get every opportunity to crack the starting lineup this year.

Is it possible that the Browns looked at him now (not in 2010) and felt he had stud-like traits as a receiver, and that by letting him go he would wind up being a top draft pick? I know nothing about this guy but from what I can tell so far is this; everything said in this thread is based on numbers from 2010, and not on his talent level, or his current physical traits.

just something to think about.

Yeah, people are discussing his performance as a football player in projecting how he'll do as a football player in the future. The NFL has seen a plethora of guys who are big and fast enter as WRs only to watch them fade quickly and exit the league in short order. A 2nd round pick in the NFL should have shown the ability to dominate at times and be regularly productive the rest of the time when playing a schedule loaded with D cupcakes and having an O like Baylor's and a QB like RG3 at his disposal.

Edited by Bronco Billy
  • Like 1

Yeah, people are discussing his performance as a football player in projecting how he'll do as a football player in the future. The NFL has seen a plethora of guys who are big and fast enter as WRs only to watch them fade quickly and exit the league in short order. A 2nd round pick in the NFL should have shown the ability to dominate at times and be regularly productive the rest of the time when playing a schedule loaded with D cupcakes and having an O like Baylor's and a QB like RG3 at his disposal.

You're right. There's no way this guy can ever justify a second round pick. Because clearly, he couldn't do that in 2010 when he was 19.

You're right. There's no way this guy can ever justify a second round pick. Because clearly, he couldn't do that in 2010 when he was 19.

Did you watch this guy get repeatedly shut down by CBs who will never see the NFL when he played at Baylor? And I mean completely controlled and negated in single coverage. How does he beat starting NFL CBs with any kind of regularity? Then he misses 19 months of football getting suspended at Baylor for dope, deciding to transfer to Utah and then never taking the field there. That was some crucial developmental time in his career that he missed, don't you think?

You could be right, he could suddenly "get it" and understand how to play football at a level that allows him to start and shine at the NFL level - but given everything we've seen, both on the field and off, from him make me think the odds are awfully long of his have any real success in the bigs.

• Like 1

Did you watch this guy get repeatedly shut down by CBs who will never see the NFL when he played at Baylor? And I mean completely controlled and negated in single coverage. How does he beat starting NFL CBs with any kind of regularity? Then he misses 19 months of football getting suspended at Baylor for dope, deciding to transfer to Utah and then never taking the field there. That was some crucial developmental time in his career that he missed, don't you think?

You could be right, he could suddenly "get it" and understand how to play football at a level that allows him to start and shine at the NFL level - but given everything we've seen, both on the field and off, from him make me think the odds are awfully long of his have any real success in the bigs.

Might you wan to add that he did practice. It isnt like he sat out the entire year. Sure it wasnt game time experience, but practice does have an impact. I also want to add that comparing his style of play in 2010 with RG III has nothing to do with anything. Who was RG III in 2010? How many of you knew RG III up until last year?

RGIII in 2010 was 8th in completions and completion percentage. He was also 13th in passing yards and had 22 passing TDs vs 8 INTs. He didn't exactly come out of nowhere. And matching up against Utah's CBs in a passing skeleton ain't exactly NFL caliber regular season competition.

But like I said - we'll see how this pans out. I think the odds are very long that he amounts to starting FF material. Maybe I'll be eating crow by the time the season is over this year, or the next, or the next.

For all the risks surrounding Gordon, anyone who watched the Browns' offense since their return, can't help but applaud even the possibility of high reward.

That's why they just about had to, even if it is a desperation move. Both Richardson and Weeden are going to need way more help to reach their upside, and with Weeden turning 29 at the beginning of the season, the sooner they can figure out what they have at WR, the better.

That's a good point I really hadn't put much thought into. CLE may feel much more pressured since they are tossing aside McCoy in favor of a significantly older Weeden. This would gain them a year on a 2013 2nd or 3rd round WR if Gordon pans out. I can't help but wonder if his immaturity and poor decision making might not negate that though.

That's a good point I really hadn't put much thought into. CLE may feel much more pressured since they are tossing aside McCoy in favor of a significantly older Weeden. This would gain them a year on a 2013 2nd or 3rd round WR if Gordon pans out. I can't help but wonder if his immaturity and poor decision making might not negate that though.

Yes, no doubt that this is about as risk/reward as it gets. If both he and Little don't pan out, the Browns could find themselves back at the bottom of the barrel at WR, and now without that 2nd rounder... Though I guess in that case, they probably wouldn't have a hard time finding upgrades in free-agency.

I guess they don't have much to lose, and plenty to gain by trying...

Yes, no doubt that this is about as risk/reward as it gets. If both he and Little don't pan out, the Browns could find themselves back at the bottom of the barrel at WR, and now without that 2nd rounder... Though I guess in that case, they probably wouldn't have a hard time finding upgrades in free-agency.

I guess they don't have much to lose, and plenty to gain by trying...

Yep several years of Massoqui, Robiskie, Cribbs and a host of lesser players at WR has made the Browns a bit desperate. Don't blame them taking Richardson, but expected some help at WR in the draft or free agency. But I'm trying to trust the guys in charge.