[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Really Kobe?

buddahj

I don't think it's as cut and dry as people make it sound. Take Larry Bird, for instance. You don't get to magically turn him into Larry Bird of the mid-80s for the purpose of this conversation. You have to take "Larry Bird the dude who had to lie down on the sidelines whenever he wasn't in the game because his back was cuffed up beyond belief". Magic hadn't fallen off that far, but again, this was Magic in his twilight.

Those are two all-time greats. Top 5 or so players. One of whom was a shell of himself, the other at least not in his prime. Yet, when people rattle off names on that team, they mention them as if you're getting the two guys who were battling it out for nearly every title won in the 80s.

Edited by detlef
  • Like 1

I don't think it's as cut and dry as people make it sound. Take Larry Bird, for instance. You don't get to magically turn him into Larry Bird of the mid-80s for the purpose of this conversation. You have to take "Larry Bird the dude who had to lie down on the sidelines whenever he wasn't in the game because his back was cuffed up beyond belief". Magic hadn't fallen off that far, but again, this was Magic in his twilight.

Those are two all-time greats. Top 5 or so players. One of whom was a shell of himself, the other at least not in his prime. Yet, when people rattle off names on that team, they mention them as if you're getting the two guys who were battling it out for nearly every title won in the 80s.

Honestly, Bird and Magic are afterthoughts for me when I think of the '92 Dream Team. I instantly think of Jordan, Pippen, Robinson, Ewing, Barkley, Stockton and Malone, who were all in their prime.

Kobe Bryant :: Michael Jordan

Kevin Durant :: Clyde Drexler

James Harden :: Christian Laetner

Andre Iguodala :: Scottie Pippin

Chris Paul :: Magic Johnson

Deron Williams :: John Stockton

Russell Westbrook :: Chris Mullen

Carmello Anthony :: Larry Bird

Blake Griffin :: Karl Malone

LeBron James :: Charles Barkley

Kevin Love :: Patrick Ewing

Tyson Chandler :: David Robinson

I don't know exactly how to compare the rosters because they are comprised of different types of players, but Kobe, LeBron and Durant are the only three players that make the 92 squad. I think you have to drop Drexler, Laetner and Mullen.

But c'mon...there is just no comparison.

• Like 1

Another thing to keep in mind is that you don't have to match-up favorably 1-12. Mostly just 1-5 plus enough subs to give the others breaks.

I also think that Stockton and Malone, by virtue of the specific offense they ran and their long careers both ended up with numbers that make them seem more impressive than they were. Not that they weren't impressive anyway. But this is about playing a game or a series head to head, not seeing where everyone's career numbers rank them.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you don't have to match-up favorably 1-12. Mostly just 1-5 plus enough subs to give the others breaks.

I also think that Stockton and Malone, by virtue of the specific offense they ran and their long careers both ended up with numbers that make them seem more impressive than they were. Not that they weren't impressive anyway. But this is about playing a game or a series head to head, not seeing where everyone's career numbers rank them.

Athletically, Williams and Westbrook would run circles around Stockton. However, give me 12 guys and two months to throw a team together, and I'll take a player like Stockton (or Nash) to run the point every time.

On top of that, Stockton and Malone were already on the same page, as were Jordan and Pippen. I think you will see Team USA play its best ball this summer when Westbrook, Durant, and Harden are all on the floor simply because of their familiarity with one another. Most of the other teams have been playing together since they were 5.

I will take the 1972 version of the Dream Team over 1992 or 2012.

My Centers would be the best ones ever to have played the game

Jabbar

Chamberlain

Walton - have to have one college guy

Lanier

I feel bad leaving Dave Cowen, Willis Reed, and Bill Russel at home but in 1972 they don't cut it.

Let's see, with centers like I have I don't need size or muscle at forward but I am going to put some there just the same before going with speed, grace and skill. Sad that there is no room for Havlicheck, Dandridge. or Debusschere but those are the breaks.

Spencer Haywood

Elvin Hayes

Bob MacAdoo

Julius Erving

Connie Hawkins

Thats nine so I only can carry three guards. I'll go with

Jerry West

Oscar Robinson

Pete Maravich

It is too bad there isn't room on my team for Walt Frasier, Earl the Pearl, the Iceman or others, but some tough love is needed here.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

• 2 weeks later...

1. Kobe is Ultra Competitive... do you really think he EVER thinks someone is better than himself? MJ, Charles etc are all wired the same... "I can beat anybody".

2. Different times... game is more athletic based and the physical style played now, who would ref it? Refs in 92 were afraid to call anything on USA... They got away with murder, with today the international refs don't call anything on anybody...

3. World teams are better now... European teams were so weak then compared to now, BBall has grown internationally a ton since 92. So closer games are expected now.

4. Hall of famers... Lots on 92 and projected bunch on 12... edge 92 IMO

Overall I would take 92 in a 7 game series but the thought that 12 couldn't even give them a game is wrong also IMO.

Edited by dfv87