[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brees signs new deal

muck

:lol:

I haven't ridden in literally decades since pulling an incredibly stupid stunt and dumping a buddy's KZ1000 right onto myself. Viewing the epic level of my moranity in that event, I'll have to concede to Tbimm in this.

In all fairness I would say that 99.9% of sane people would have to concede to me on this one.

Let's ignore that last sentence, considering the evidence in the two threads you describe and the inaneness of the comments you posted while swinging from bushwhacked's sack and providing entertainment to each other.

I understand as a Saints' fan that you are greatly enthused about Brees signing a 5 year contract. How do you feel about the cap implications and the effect on the team after this season?

Wait,,, bushwhacked is a guy? :shocking:

In all seriousness the cap implications are very real. I have not read anything laying out the future hits per year. My concern is this year as the Saints are out to prove something NOW. Will this contract be an issue in 3 years? Yes I would say it will but I do think that will be right about the time our championship aspirations window is slamming shut.

This deal was a no brainer for the Saints. They HAD to get Brees signed. What he as the QB has done for the fans and the city as a whole is on a different plane from anything anyone has done for a team or a city. Remember it was right when Brees signed here that all the talk was the Saints moving out of New Orleans. Losing the Saints franchise would have wiped this city off the map as much as Katrina tried to do.

Keep in mind, lose the Saints and we lose the Sugar Bowl to Atlanta as well as the BCS title games. We lose the NCAA tournament games here. The revenue loss for this city and the state would have been crippling.

While Brees is not solely responsible for all the good that has happened here he sure does get a ton of credit from the fan base. When I moved down here we did not watch Saints home games on TV. They were almost all blacked out. Now every game is sold out well in advance. Let Brees get away and the fan base is alienated in such a way that moving the team would quickly be back in the daily conversations.

The rest of my argument here would be against your notion that Brees is not a team player. Your friend White Lightning summed that up better than I could have. Honestly I was going to post along the lines of what he posted but I have learned that no matter how accurate a response I have as a Saints fan in these debates it will be washed over as blind homerism. I cant say that it broke my heart to see the nOOb so eloquently deliver the death blow to that argument.

You like to argue for the sake of arguing. Nothing wrong with that IMO. That is just not something I tend to waste a lot of time with.

• Like 1

ESPN reports indicate that Brees' 2012 salary will take up 10.4M of NO's cap space, which is considerably less then the 16.37M cap hit NO would have faced if Brees played under the franchise tag. I have no idea how Brees' contract will affect NO's cap space from 2013-16 but I'm sure those details wil come out in the next few days.

Considering the Saints have one of the fewest number of free agent starters in the next two years. I don't really see it being that much of an issue. The currently have the 3rd fewest in the league with only 7 and that includes Shanle who will not be a starter this year. Where Brees will really make an impact on the cap will be in '15 & '16 when he will command about $25 mil per year.

In all seriousness the cap implications are very real. I have not read anything laying out the future hits per year. My concern is this year as the Saints are out to prove something NOW. Will this contract be an issue in 3 years? Yes I would say it will but I do think that will be right about the time our championship aspirations window is slamming shut.

This deal was a no brainer for the Saints. They HAD to get Brees signed. What he as the QB has done for the fans and the city as a whole is on a different plane from anything anyone has done for a team or a city. Remember it was right when Brees signed here that all the talk was the Saints moving out of New Orleans. Losing the Saints franchise would have wiped this city off the map as much as Katrina tried to do.

Keep in mind, lose the Saints and we lose the Sugar Bowl to Atlanta as well as the BCS title games. We lose the NCAA tournament games here. The revenue loss for this city and the state would have been crippling.

While Brees is not solely responsible for all the good that has happened here he sure does get a ton of credit from the fan base. When I moved down here we did not watch Saints home games on TV. They were almost all blacked out. Now every game is sold out well in advance. Let Brees get away and the fan base is alienated in such a way that moving the team would quickly be back in the daily conversations.

Thanks. Now that's what I was hoping to hear. I think the cap issues may be a bit more significant than you are anticipating when it comes to NO keeping ts own FAs or signing others. We'll have to see what his annual salaries are in 2012-2015 to fully appreciate it, but the hit this year and what is left for the following 4 years gives us a good idea and it's going to be a very substantial chunk.

I cant say that it broke my heart to see the nOOb so eloquently deliver the death blow to that argument.

Can't agree with you here but that's a matter of opinion. He is verbose, no question.

You like to argue for the sake of arguing. Nothing wrong with that IMO. That is just not something I tend to waste a lot of time with.

I like to unwrap alternative possibilities rather than mainstream groupthink. Sometimes that requires reinforcement before people will consider them. But it's encouraged at this board as opposed to some others, and I appreciate that. And sometimes I do try to yank someone's chain and see what shakes out... ;)

ESPN reports indicate that Brees' 2012 salary will take up 10.4M of NO's cap space, which is considerably less then the 16.37M cap hit NO would have faced if Brees played under the franchise tag. I have no idea how Brees' contract will affect NO's cap space from 2013-16 but I'm sure those details wil come out in the next few days.

$37 mil signing bonus / 5 years = $7.4 million per year.

2012 = 3 million + 7.4 million = 10.4 million

2013 = 10 million + 7.4 million = 17.4 million

2014 = 11 million + 7.4 million = 18.4 million

2015 = 19 million + 7.4 million = 26.4 million

2016 = 20 million + 7.4 million = 27.4 million

Conceptually, of course.

$37 mil signing bonus / 5 years = $7.4 million per year.

2012 = 3 million + 7.4 million = 10.4 million

2013 = 10 million + 7.4 million = 17.4 million

2014 = 11 million + 7.4 million = 18.4 million

2015 = 19 million + 7.4 million = 26.4 million

2016 = 20 million + 7.4 million = 27.4 million

Conceptually, of course.

Not sure where you got those numbers, but if that is the way it is scripted, Brees will be a Saint for 3 more years, this year inclusive. NO won't take a cap hit of $26.4M for one season for one player, which means they'll have to swallow a $14.8M cap hit to have Brees not play in 2015, or $7.4M in both 2015 and 2016 to not play for them if they release him after June 1st, 2015.

Not sure where you got those numbers, but if that is the way it is scripted, Brees will be a Saint for 3 more years, this year inclusive. NO won't take a cap hit of $26.4M for one season for one player, which means they'll have to swallow a $14.8M cap hit to have Brees not play in 2015, or $7.4M in both 2015 and 2016 to not play for them if they release him after June 1st, 2015.

Matches what Rotoworld has:

7/13/2012: Signed a five-year, $100 million contract. The deal contains $40 million guaranteed -- a $37 million signing bonus and Brees' first-year base salary.

2012: $3 million,

2013: $10 million,

2014: $11 million,

2015: $19 million,

2016: $20 million,

2017: Free Agent

Same at Spotrac too: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/drew-brees/

Edited by keggerz

Some big cap hits either way, $26 mil to play, or 15 not to play, or 7.5 for 2 seasons to not play. Definitely going to be difficult decisions and cap situations for the saints.

Interesting point about restructuring, don't I assume they can be but don't know that much about the process. Can the signing bonus allocated per year be extended out through that? Or does it only allow them to manipulate annual salaries (and possibly add another signing bonus).

It certainly seems back loaded enough to indicate the last 2 years don't happen, or not without some changes.

The signing bonus accelerates forward under a new contract. But that would go against his salary for figuring cap purposes. However, renegotiation can only happen if both sides agree to do so. As it stands right now Brees has the upper hand with the big money contract in place. NO can only pay him per the contract or cut him and have the bonus accelerate if it is going to do something unilaterally (or trade him later if they can find someone else willing to take on those last 2 big years).