[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bonus Points for Distance TDs

mhorn

I'm in a league that awards bonus points for TDs over 45 yards. Is there a site that anyone can suggest where I can see who made TDs over 45 yards in 2011?

Having studied it before, I can tell you that it is not worth considering when you draft because it is so rare. A top QB will throw maybe 5 of them all year. A top RB will have maybe one or two. A Top WR may have as many as three. It all sounds good in theory but the reality is that they are rare, even harder to forecast and the best players you would already want are the ones who would have the one to three occasions anyway.

Thanks for the advice. I've never been a big fan of bonus point scoring and it's nice to hear that the distance TDs shouldn't be factored in to who I choose to draft.

I hate the concept of bonus points for distance scores - you are already getting huge points for the TD and the yards, then you get more on top of it because of the length of the score. Seems like this would skew the game and the better team could lose because of a fluke play

This used to be pretty common in the early days of fantasy football, before performance (points for yardage gained). I don't think many use it any more.

DMD made a great point that their numbers are few and therefore hard to predict and weight players with the advantage.

• Like 1

This is an older league and I've only been in it a few seasons. I've been lobbying against the bonus point system, but the rest of the league still likes the idea, so I've got to use the scoring system they give me to win. I still manage to make the playoffs every season, but I'm looking for that extra boost to get me the title this year.

While it shouldn't factor into ADP much, it is a good tie breaker when deciding between two guys. Guys like B. Lloyd and D. Jackson should get slight bumps and get picked before guys like Bowe and Colston.

• Like 1

While it shouldn't factor into ADP much, it is a good tie breaker when deciding between two guys. Guys like B. Lloyd and D. Jackson should get slight bumps and get picked before guys like Bowe and Colston.

Yep, I think it's gotta jsut be an eyeball test sort of tie-breaker, such as maybe taking Julio over AJ Green if you view them relatively equally, but go with Julio because of his ability to take it to the house on any play, including a short screen or slant. I guess this can include deep threats like Green is as well, but I'd bank more on the ones who can make 45 yards themselves over relying on 45 yard bombs.

But as was said above, long TDs are far more fickle than TDs themselves (which can already wildly vary from game to game and season to season). It's just not a very predictable category at all, so I'd rely more on the eyeball test as a small factor in your decision.

As for QBs, it only seems like a tougher stat to predict.