[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Hockey, what do you know?

archiebonker

Hey guys, do any of you play Fantasy Hockey and how does it compare to Fantasy Football? Are there good Fantasy League Systems out there to use and what are the best ones? Has anyone used Fantrax?

Have been running a FF League for about 9 years now and we are using MFL for past 4.

Guess I'm hopping I can get some insight from some of you.

Thanks

The Huddle on the Puddle league uses yahoo for our site. We talked briefly about moving it to a pay site, but no one really had the desire to do that (it was more a function of Yahoo having issues with player updates and stats at the time).

As far as how it differs from football, our league has 8 catagories - goals, assists, +/-, power play goals, and power play assists for skaters, while goalies have wins, save %, and goals against average. We play another owner head to head each week, and the winner in each stat category for that week receives 2 points per category (1 each if tied), for a possible total of 16 points a week. You can move players in and out of your lineups daily, so you aren't committed to a single group of skaters each week. We allow 18 players on a roster, but at any given day you can only start a maximum of 2 centers, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 Def, and 2 goalies. We leave the last 3 weeks of the regular season for our league playoffs.

If interested, I'm pretty sure we'll have some openings for this season. Check back around early September when I start getting a head count and try getting a draft scheduled (a monumental task in itself).

Thanks Nun

I was thinking of getting a payed site if I do it. Haven't found one that allows you to change up your team pages graphics all that much though. But I do thank you for letting me know about the points and the starting lineups. I love running our FF league these past few years and I think I do a pretty good job of it. Guess I wanted the challenge of running a FH League now on top of that. I know I'll have a ton of interest.

How many teams is a good number for a league? How do you pickup players....is there a waiver?

What are the best payed sites out there?

If anyone knows....please let me know.

I think ESPN has a pay site, as may Sportsline. NHL.com may also host fantasy leagues, other than those and Yahoo I don't know of a lot of other sites that host fantasy hockey.

We have a ceiling of 12 teams in our league although we were down to 10 last year. With 18 roster spots, 12 is a perfectly sized league to still have a viable pool of free agents, as well as having competitive teams.

For picking up players, we have open transactions, however we cap them to a total of 50 transactions per team for the season (including the playoffs). It is essentially a first come first serve process. We also have a waiver wire, which works for players who have been dropped by other teams. They stay on waivers for 2 days, during which time owners can put in a wiaver claim on them. I can't recall how our waiver order is set up - I think it's reverse draft order. Once you make a successful waiver claim however, you are sent to the bottom of the list for waiver priority. So if you had the #3 waiver priority and successfully claimed someone off waivers, you would then have the #12 priority as a result (assuming a 12 team league).

Hopefully this all helps. If you still have questions, I'll be here all summer...............and fall..................and winter.................and spring.........................and all through next year as well probably.......................

Have you ever heard of FanTrax? Seems like a payed site and I wanted to see how that one was. Thanks for the info. I'm sure I can do it, but I have been on MFL for football so long. That its going to be tough getting into a hockey site that doesn't work the same.

Really want to make a good league if I'm going to do this. Was hopping I could some how find a site that I can work on the graphics of the site. But I'm not so sure their is something like this around for Hockey.