[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Looking for Keeper League Ideas

Hey guys, we've been running a 3 Keeper league for years. I wanted to hear how some of you run your leagues. I'm looking to change it up a bit .

Want to make easier for the bottom teams to get better and make the draft more interesting by allowing guys to keep less then 3, but would like to here more ideas on how to make this work.

I hope these ideas help:

Something that was instrumental in the startup of our keeper league to keep it competitive was the fact that we started out with keeping 3 and bumped up one keeper two years in a row to get to 5 which is our max. Idea is to give teams who had bad drafts or general bad luck early in the league's startup to have plenty of talent going back into the draft pool year two. If your league only keeps 3 now and has no plans to increase then I'm going to go out on a limb and say if you have teams that aren't consistantly not competive then they just might be inept fantasy owners because plenty of talent goes back into the pool.

Another idea we implemented to help teams on the low end is that if you don't have a player worthy of keeping, the team gets a draft pick at the end of the first round instead of keeping a player. Although I find it hard to believe a team wouldn't have 3 legit players to keep, it happens pretty often in our 5 keeper league.

Another thing we have in place to help is we allow keeper spots to be traded. A traded keeper spot only goes to another team for one year and the team who traded it gets it back the following year. This promotes a lot of trading activity in your league which makes it funner and more interesting. A keeper spot in my league normally fetches a 1rst rd pick minimum but could include a combonation of later picks and/or players.

Surely make sure you have it set up where the low end teams get the first picks in the following years draft.

Hope this helps.

In my 14-team league, we allow two keepers but you can only keep guys drafted in the 5th round or later. And the guy has to stay on your roster the entire season. If you cut him, he's ineligible to be a keeper. Also, when you draft the next year, you draft the player in the round that you took him the previous year. For example, one of my keepers is Jimmy Graham who was my 6th rounder last year. My other keeper is Arian Foster who I selected in the 8th round in the 2010 draft. What ends up happening is:

1. The elite guys are all generally available unless a smart owner invests and gets a stud after the 4th round. So, at a minimum, all teams have a shot at Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady.

2. Guys take rookies in late rounds with the hopes that they're drafting the next Aaron Rodgers. Also, a spin-off effect is that since guys have to retain the players on their rosters, the waiver wire is less watered down by a couple players which is always nice for injuries, etc in a deep league.

As for draft picks, the eight teams that miss the playoffs compete for the toilet bowl and the first overall pick. This keeps everyone engaged and reduces the temptation to tank your team at the deadline. The guy who tanked it last year lost the three playoff games and has to draft eighth (which I think is a horrible draft slot this year).

Anyway, this setup provides some incentives to compete all year and to draft well. Injuries decimated me last year but I managed to get to the Toilet Bowl and lose so I go into the season with the 2nd overall pick as well as Jimmy Graham and Arian Foster in the bank as my 6th and 8th round picks respectively (83rd and 111th overal) but I earned those keepers by drafting well.

I can keep him forever as long as he stays on my roster. We can carry forward any two keepers as long as we want. I'm thinking he's keeper-worthy until he turns 30 and then I'll try to flip him to a vulnerable owner for a first round draft pick or something...

Great advice guys , thanks. We've been around for about 7 seasons now and we've kept 3 players since the beginning. We've had a so called Toilet Bowl playoff for the bottom half that didn't make the playoffs and the winner takes first draft pick the following year. But I wanted to go further to balance out the league without taking away the 3 keeper rule.

So I'm thinking of doing this and like to see what you think.

I'm going give everyone the opportunity to keep 1-2-or 3. They have to announce their keepers all on the same date so no one knows ahead of time what everyone is doing. I'll add two draft rounds at the start of our draft. Those who chose to keep only one will pick in the first round (Lotto to see who picks where). Teams that chose to keep 1 or 2 will pick in the second round (Lotto for draft order in this round too) and the third round will start our normal draft with the toilet bowl winner drafting first.