[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mike Wallace is MAD!

delfamdelfam

This means they will have to do better for Wallace. Frankly I think they should have taken care of Wallace first.

Brown is the better receiver. During the 2nd half of the year, it was clear who had emerged as Roethlisberger's #1 receiver.

• Like 1

based on 1 year? (yes I know he caught a few passes in 2010) with I assume Wallace drawing more coverage than him? Wow

+1

I love Brown as much as the next guy but it's too early to judge. Wallace does have BLAZING speed that I think a lot of people are forgetting.

based on 1 year? (yes I know he caught a few passes in 2010) with I assume Wallace drawing more coverage than him? Wow

Wallace is a deep threat. He is not good at going over the middle or making the big 3rd down catches. Brown can take it to the house, go deep, and is also good across the middle and on 3rd downs. I've been saying Brown is better than Wallace since the middle of last year. It looks like the Steelers front office agrees with me. Wow.

Maybe they have offered Wallace the same or slighty more and he turned it down? He wanted Fitzgerald money, that offer is not Fitzgerald money.

Wallace took an untenable position and refused to budge off of it by all accounts, He insisted on being paid like Fitz or CJ. PIT wouldn't ever pay Wallace that kind of money. Wallace decided to play hard ball and PIT showed him what playing hardball really was.

This pretty much shows everyone that Wallace could have had a big contract in pretty short order, and also shows that PIT thinks they can move forward with Brown and Sanders and still be as effective a passing team as they could with Wallace. That doesn't mean that either Brown or Sanders are as good as Wallace - which has yet to be determined, IMO - but rather that the passing game can function as effectively with those 2 starting. That's very possible.

Wallace made his own bed. Now he is being made to lie in it.

• Like 2

Wallace is a deep threat. He is not good at going over the middle or making the big 3rd down catches. Brown can take it to the house, go deep, and is also good across the middle and on 3rd downs. I've been saying Brown is better than Wallace since the middle of last year. It looks like the Steelers front office agrees with me. Wow.

well, if you've been saying it since then it must be true. nice job!

This is entirely untrue. KC Joyner wrote up a piece a while back that showed by the numbers Mike Wallace was better at short, medium, and long distance routes than Brown. The Steelers chose to run Wallace deep because he's so good at it, but he has great metrics on the shorter stuff where he accumulates YAC. Now, Joyner argues Wallace is the best WR in the NFL, and I'm not taking that stance, but I'll try to dig up the article later.

Brown is a result of Mike Wallace drawing constant double teams. He's no better than a #2 WR, and now a very expensive one. Terrible descision by the Steelers. Wallace was being a d!ck, but IMO he's easily worth the premium over Brown.

Wallace took an untenable position and refused to budge off of it by all accounts, He insisted on being paid like Fitz or CJ. PIT wouldn't ever pay Wallace that kind of money. Wallace decided to play hard ball and PIT showed him what playing hardball really was.

This pretty much shows everyone that Wallace could have had a big contract in pretty short order, and also shows that PIT thinks they can move forward with Brown and Sanders and still be as effective a passing team as they could with Wallace. That doesn't mean that either Brown or Sanders are as good as Wallace - which has yet to be determined, IMO - but rather that the passing game can function as effectively with those 2 starting. That's very possible.

Wallace made his own bed. Now he is being made to lie in it.

Honestly, I hope he doesn't break and sign the tender for 2.8 million or whatever it is. If he got this far he has to either get his contract, demand a trade, or just continue the holdout.

I think PIT will miss him more than they think also. Brown is great, but Wallace really stretched the field in a way few NFL players can.

This is entirely untrue. KC Joyner wrote up a piece a while back that showed by the numbers Mike Wallace was better at short, medium, and long distance routes than Brown. The Steelers chose to run Wallace deep because he's so good at it, but he has great metrics on the shorter stuff where he accumulates YAC. Now, Joyner argues Wallace is the best WR in the NFL, and I'm not taking that stance, but I'll try to dig up the article later.

Brown is a result of Mike Wallace drawing constant double teams. He's no better than a #2 WR, and now a very expensive one. Terrible descision by the Steelers. Wallace was being a d!ck, but IMO he's easily worth the premium over Brown.

I'd be interested in seeing what numbers could prove that Wallace is better on the short, medium routes. I'm just giving my opinion as a die-hard Steeler fan that doesn't miss a play. I feel that Antonio Brown is the better overall receiver, and I think the remainder of his career will prove that. I disagree that he is no better than a #2 WR, and I also disagree that Wallace was drawing constant double teams, especially during the 2nd half of the year. I've been wrong before, but, that is just my opinion based on what I've seen., Also, if I had a dollar for every time someone said the Steelers made a terrible decision, which turned out to be a good decision, I'd be a rich man.

I'd be interested in seeing what numbers could prove that Wallace is better on the short, medium routes. I'm just giving my opinion as a die-hard Steeler fan that doesn't miss a play. I feel that Antonio Brown is the better overall receiver, and I think the remainder of his career will prove that. I disagree that he is no better than a #2 WR, and I also disagree that Wallace was drawing constant double teams, especially during the 2nd half of the year. I've been wrong before, but, that is just my opinion based on what I've seen., Also, if I had a dollar for every time someone said the Steelers made a terrible decision, which turned out to be a good decision, I'd be a rich man.

Well, I'm going to apologize and put my foot in my mouth...I found in a chat that Joyner remarked the Brown was top notch at the medium depth routes but Wallace excelled at deep and short routes. He did say Brown was in the 2nd tier in the league on these though, certainly very good. A google search can pull up the midseason article with all the stats of how Wallace had better metrics than Megatron across the board...but mideason articles are pretty worthless. I swear I read a post-season evaluation, but I can't find it on ESPN insider right now.

My question is this though - the 2nd half of the season when Brown exploded, Wallace drew tons of double/bracket coverage. Is Antonio Brown good enough to profile as a #1 when all the attention is devoted to him (if they were to move Wallace)? I personally don't see it, but you obviously watch more Steelers than me and obviously, as you said, the front office agrees with you.

Meanwhile, if I'm another team, I'd offer the Steelers a 2nd round pick for Wallace in a heartbeat. I'd take a guaranteed difference maker for a 2nd any day of the week if I run a team with a good cap situation.

Edited by Jo

Does it matter which receiver is better? They are both great players with perhaps marginal differences. Wallace faster...sure, but Brown is much more intelligent. From what I have seen in interviews with Brown is he is a true blue Steeler. I mean straight from the mold. It was smart of them to get him tied up to a long term deal.

Most importantly the Steelers technically have Wallace locked up for 2 years. Why budge off this position for crazy money that could jeopardize future signings? What is going to happen? Will Wallace no show or come into the next two season playing subpar. I seriously doubt that. If he holds out all he is doing is hurting his future price tag.

Wallace will have to budge at some point, b/c the Steelers WILL NOT talk to him until he comes to camp...i.e. Hines Ward.

Edited by Grimm74

IMO Wallace is asking for stud money for a few good seasons the Steerlers are not willing to pay. The Brown signing makes me think they are futher apart than anticipated. As far as who is better? It is hard to say as they are close. Maybe another reason Brown got the contract. It will be interesting to see Wallace's next step.

Well, I'm going to apologize and put my foot in my mouth...I found in a chat that Joyner remarked the Brown was top notch at the medium depth routes but Wallace excelled at deep and short routes. He did say Brown was in the 2nd tier in the league on these though, certainly very good. A google search can pull up the midseason article with all the stats of how Wallace had better metrics than Megatron across the board...but mideason articles are pretty worthless. I swear I read a post-season evaluation, but I can't find it on ESPN insider right now.

My question is this though - the 2nd half of the season when Brown exploded, Wallace drew tons of double/bracket coverage. Is Antonio Brown good enough to profile as a #1 when all the attention is devoted to him (if they were to move Wallace)? I personally don't see it, but you obviously watch more Steelers than me and obviously, as you said, the front office agrees with you.

Meanwhile, if I'm another team, I'd offer the Steelers a 2nd round pick for Wallace in a heartbeat. I'd take a guaranteed difference maker for a 2nd any day of the week if I run a team with a good cap situation.

Don't get me wrong, Wallace is a VERY good receiver. I just think that Brown is a better all-around receiver than Wallace, but, it's close. I'm still hopeful that they end up keeping all three of them in Pittsburgh (Brown, Wallace & Sanders), but, I think Wallace will play out this year and a team will offer money for him that the Steelers won't feel is worth matching.

Now how about if you were another team and had to give up a 2nd rounder for him, and then had to pay him CJ money to get him on the field. Would you still do it in a heartbeat?

I believe that Wallace must report to the Steelers by week 10 to accure a year of playing for free agency.

I don't think that's accurate. That was under the old CBA. I believe that has changed. I'll need to look it up.

ETA - found it

link

August 9 Deadline for players under contract to report to their clubs to earn an Accrued Season for free agency.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Win regular season games maybe, but not Super Bowls because the Eagles are very good at cap management.

Especially when it comes to O-line & D-line, huh GB? They're not great cap managers - they throw a ton of money at the sexy positions on each side of the ball and fail to pay to get and keep top quality guys where it really counts. Now NE, they know how to manage a cap - and look who they are playing hardball with and won't pay an uber-permium to: One of the most productive WRs in the game today.