[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

antonio brown gets rich

RJV

ESPN SC NFL - Steelers sign WR-KR Antonio Brown to 5-year extension, ESPN reports deal is worth $42.5 million

What does this mean for Mike W.?

Edited by RJV

:weird:

Yeah, I'm thinking it's not looking good with thole Wallace situation.

I could be wrong, but my understanding was that they were both set to be free-agents after this season (Wallace of course off the tag), and with them flirting with the cap, it was looking likely they might let one of them go.

With them already seeming to be in a standstill (Tomlin had said they plan to move forward with the guys who are there and want to play), for them to go and pay Brown, umm yeah, this situation is not looking good....

(ETA: though with the players having so little leverage to hold out now, you can expect him to sign the tender, acrue his 4th year and work towards that next contract. Is the deadline at the end of preseason or when?)

Edited by delusions of grandeur

anyone else see this as being a sleeze ball move by the Steelers? I mean Wallace is the superior WR who has been with the team longer and he obviously deserved to get a contract before Brown, then they go and sign Brown.

anyone else see this as being a sleeze ball move by the Steelers? I mean Wallace is the superior WR who has been with the team longer and he obviously deserved to get a contract before Brown, then they go and sign Brown.

I disagree. During the 2nd half of last season, Antonio Brown emerged as their go-to receiver. In my opinion, Brown is the better all-around receiver. Obviously, the Steelers agree. How is it a sleezeball move ? Trust me, the Steelers only do things that they feel will improve their team. They certainly didn't get together and say, lets go ahead and sign Brown, even though he doesn't deserve it, just to get back at Wallace. :rolleyes:

I disagree. During the 2nd half of last season, Antonio Brown emerged as their go-to receiver. In my opinion, Brown is the better all-around receiver. Obviously, the Steelers agree. How is it a sleezeball move ? Trust me, the Steelers only do things that they feel will improve their team. They certainly didn't get together and say, lets go ahead and sign Brown, even though he doesn't deserve it, just to get back at Wallace. :rolleyes:

maybe not, but it sure seems that way

Precisely. If the Steelers have proven anything in the last 40 years, it's that they are a well oiled machine where the sum>parts consistently. Just look at the most recent "stud" WRs they've let walk (Burress, Holmes and now possibly Wallace). Sure Burress had some decent stats as a NYG but he was also a bonehead. Holmes is a shadow of his former self and me thinks Wallace is heading down that same path. If I'm erring on the side of caution, I'm putting my money on the Steelers making the right move, whatever that move becomes. Obviously this Brown signing appears to seal Wallace's fate but maybe they pull an okey dokey and sign Wallace next :shrug:

• Like 1

Absolutely love Brown. Also love Emmanuel Sanders, and he is considerably cheaper than Brown in all fantasy drafts now....as for Wallace, I take this as a "we're fine with or without you here" move.

• Like 1

PIT are sleezeballs because they wouldn't cowtow and drastically overpay Wallace? Wallace created his own problem when he demanded to be paid like a top 5 WR and wouldn't budge from his stance. PIT said fine, we'll move on with or without you, here's what the CBA allows us to pay you if you want to play this season. Wallace played chicken in a high stakes game and lost.

PIT could have really played it tough and lowered the boom on Wallace with their offer but never did and left the door open for him. Wallace refused to budge and now appears to be paying the price for his arrogance.

Edited by Bronco Billy
  • Like 1

Business is business. This sounds like good 'ol fashioned tough negotiations.

PIT aren't sleazeballs and Wallace probably isn't more arrogant than previous wide receivers. Seems like Wallace just overplayed his hand and got burned. Could be the agent, who knows? Maybe it got personal towards the end and the Brown contract is for spite (in addition to guaranteeing more stability at the position)? The Steelers will field a competitive team, as they always have.

Business is business. This sounds like good 'ol fashioned tough negotiations.

PIT aren't sleazeballs and Wallace probably isn't more arrogant than previous wide receivers. Seems like Wallace just overplayed his hand and got burned. Could be the agent, who knows? Maybe it got personal towards the end and the Brown contract is for spite (in addition to guaranteeing more stability at the position)? The Steelers will field a competitive team, as they always have.

The Steelers, nor any other NFL team, would sign a player out of spite. They sign a player, because they think it will help them win more football games.

Be nice to see this thread and the Wallace thread merged, since we're running parallel discussions on the two.

Funny how FF colors perceptions of players. I don't see how anyone can argue that Wallace did anything but lose in this scenario. He overvalued himself (I'm sure his agent has helped in this apsect) and he has clearly lost in his quest to make money that his performance just can't justify. Hell, PIT couldn't even move him in a trade, most probably because every other team in the league didn't want to deal with the headache of trying to negotiate with him since he dug in his heels on his over-the-top demands - and there's a lot of teams that could use a WR like Wallace as their WR1.

PIT has made a decision to pay the guys who want to make reasonable demands and show up to play, and has put the ball right back in Wallace's lap - either negotiate at rational compensation, or if he won't budge to either play at much lesser compensation or sit. Now his ability to leverage PIT has been even further eroded because of the Brown contract.

Sitting will affect his future leverage significantly no matter where he finally takes the field again, not to mention losing him time/money in the heart of his earning window. In any case, if he wants to play and get paid to do so, he's going to have to relent significantly from where he has pigeonholed himself.

Edited by Bronco Billy

The Steelers, nor any other NFL team, would sign a player out of spite. They sign a player, because they think it will help them win more football games.

Of course, but you can't argue that the timing makes it come across as a giant middle finger to Mike Wallace. You can say it's not about sending a message to him, but it comes across that way to just about everyone lol

edit:

get this - if true, Wallace turned down 5 yrs / 50M. He's a certified head case if he thinks he's worth more than that with two good years under his belt

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/07/27/wallace-was-offered-more-than-brown/

Edited by efi4eye

Of course, but you can't argue that the timing makes it come across as a giant middle finger to Mike Wallace. You can say it's not about sending a message to him, but it comes across that way to just about everyone lol

You made my point exactly. This isn't about PIT giving Wallace the middle finger, this is about recognizing how much of a part of the offense he is and what PIT effectively loses if they have to replace him, and wanting to compensate him propotionately based on that. It's business, and PIT has committed to not compensating Wallace disproportionately to his contribution to the team as a whole. PIT sticks to their guns on this as well as any team in the league, and consequently is one of the most well run and successful franchises in the NFL by doing so.

According to reports, Wallace has backed off his demand of Fitz money ($15M/yr) and is now seeking VJax money ($11M/yr). I can't help but wonder if he had taken this as his initial position that he wouldn't have a contract in hand and be ready to go for the season.

As it stands now with the Brown signing, I'd be surprised if PIT conceded to that kind of money and would be willing to pay 2 WRs an average of $19.5M/yr. That's a big chunk of the cap dedicated to 2 guys who don't touch the ball enough because of their position. Thaat just doesn't seem like PIT cap management style to me.

However, that might make it feasible for a team to trade say a 2nd rounder or two 3rds (like the Marshall trade) and then sign Wallace to that number to be their WR1. Or PIT could simply stand its ground on this and keep the ball in Wallace's court, expecting him to either sign the tender or sit out the season. Comments coming from PIT coaching make it seem like they are prepared to move forward this season without Wallace.

You made my point exactly. This isn't about PIT giving Wallace the middle finger, this is about recognizing how much of a part of the offense he is and what PIT effectively loses if they have to replace him, and wanting to compensate him propotionately based on that. It's business, and PIT has committed to not compensating Wallace disproportionately to his contribution to the team as a whole. PIT sticks to their guns on this as well as any team in the league, and consequently is one of the most well run and successful franchises in the NFL by doing so.

Yep, turns my stomach as a fan of a rival, but have to agree that PIT is successful because they do such a good job in this regard. Guys get a big head and want larger than reasonable contracts. PIT lets them walk, and moves on without missing a beat. I've seen it over and over at many positions.

If Wallace was really passing on the 5/50 and asking for Fitz/CJ money, he's put himself in this situation. I don't think he'll get what he wants, and we'll see if other teams are willing to trade (and how PIT wants to deal with that). I'd be surprised he goes for a 2nd round pick, that would seem like a steal for such a proven NFL talent.

• 4 weeks later...

Like I said several times earlier in this thread. Antonio Brown is the most all-around talented wide receiver on the Steelers. You could see it clearly during the 2nd half of last year, and he is only getting better. Sixth round picks aren't given jobs. Brown worked his way from special teams to 4/5 WR sets, to starter.............he is the real deal, and will continue to get better. Those who already got him later in drafts got a steal. I'm guessing this last pre-season game will get him on most people's radar. The guy is in for a big year.