[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shady/idiotic happenings at Fantasy Drafts...

irish

The thread on magizines and cheatsheets got me thinking. In regard to your live, local drafts what kinds of stories do you fellas have from over the years about owners pulling some shady or idiotic crap during the draft?

I have an owner in one league, who always get up during the draft, come over to me and others, and ask to see my cheatsheets and other material. This same owner will also openly ask me and others while he's on the clock, as well as prior to being on the clock, for advice on what we think of certain players and whether or not he should draft them (meanwhile several years, I have the draft spot right next to him). He name drops all the time and will draft players who have already been drafted, in some cases, 5-6 rounds earlier.

So, what about you guys?

Edited by irish

We had a guy forget the draft one year. It's Labor Day weekend every year since 1996 and the donkey forgets. I call him looking for his Skype info and he's like "why? I'm at a baseball game." He had already paid for the MFL dues (we are free, trophy only, rotate paying for the league) so we booted him and had a buddy take his team over.

I have a guy in my league and everytime the person before him picks he starts to complain about how he wanted that player . Every round, every pick. It gets annoying sooner than later.

I have an owner in one league, who always get up during the draft, come over to me and others, and ask to see my cheatsheets and other material. This same owner will also openly ask me and others while he's on the clock, as well as prior to being on the clock, for advice on what we think of certain players and whether or not he should draft them (meanwhile several years, I have the draft spot right next to him). He name drops all the time and will draft players who have already been drafted, in some cases, 5-6 rounds earlier.

So, what about you guys?

(1)Get a bottle of the cheapest/nastiest gin you can acquire. If someone tries to draft a player that has already been drafted, (2)Shot time. (3)After the initial vomiting, the person will remove their head from their A$$ and pay attention. If not they will repeat steps 2 and 3 until they purge the stupidity from within them.

• Like 1

Several years ago, we had an owner that drafted a guy out of a movie. It was in the later rounds and he was looking for a receiver. He was struggling to come up with a name and the clock was ticking so he finally blurts out that he wants Tidwell. (Show me the money!) We were all laughing so hard the draft came to a standstill. The commisioner changed his team name to the Tidwells on the spot. He didn't come back the next year.

• Like 1

Guess this is shady, but i had a commish who stole $4800 in league fees. He said he put it into his bank account in a CD and would take it out at the end of the year. When the year ended he said the bank wouldn't let him take it out. We all think he spent it on gambling and just didn't have the money anymore.

Nothing shady, just dumb stuff. In one of my locals there's one guy who constanstly tries to draft guys who are already gone. In the other, we had a guy draft QBs with his 1st two picks (we can only start one).

We had a guy last year show up with no materials and just went up to the board and looked at the draft board stickers and draft that way. He ended up winning the league. One thing that annoys me though is when you draft someone and someone says, nice pick.

One year had a guy draft "Tony Gonzalez" but didn't say team or position (which annoys me), no problem, Tony G, scratched off my TE list. Later as I'm looking for a TE I take somebody else since Tony G is gone. Then a few picks later, Tony Gonzalez TE is drafted. TWINKIES ANYONE I ask, I thought he was taken earlier. Oh no, that was Anthony Gonzalez the IND WR. Later I find out from my co commissioner that the guy doesn't like the name Tony, so instead he said Anthony. Seriously, how dumb is that.

Every year we say "when you draft a player, say their name, team and position." Not everybody knows all the players as well as othes, and some common names make it hard to know who they are (what position so I know which of my lists to scratch off). But people ignore that, apparently because it is too difficult to say those extra things.

We use a draft board with stickers for each player, so I often go consult the lists or ask another owner "was this guy drafted" if I'm not sure.

We also have those guys who are always asking for help, never seem to know who was already drafted or not. And we used to have a pair of owners (shared team) that would take every single minute we allowed to make their pick. They'd always have at least 2 guys, do some research, debate, etc. until we'd shout "PICK SOMEBODY ALREADY."

And of course the owners who are always late, and who never seem to remember to bring their money with them (the same guy usually).

We had a guy who constantly would try to draft players already taken, 1 yr he tried to draft Tony Martin , when he had already drafted him 2 rounds earlier.

That's pretty bad when it's the same owner who tries to draft a player that's not only been taken already but taken by him rounds earlier. I always wonder to myself, why can't those guys follow along? Baffling!

There was a guy who was part of my money league the first 3 years of its existence and, in his last year, he decided it would make sense to draft back to back defenses in the later rounds of the draft after already taking one in the sixth round. We kept him around since he was easy money (never finished higher than 7th out of 8 in the regular season) but he finally came to his senses after losing fifty bucks for the third straight year.

Defenses always go for way way way too much in my league. Everyone is relatively good at fantasy, everyone has a good idea of how to play, but every year there are two or three defenses that go for $10-20 out of a $200 12-team auction. It is absurd.

A friend of mine is a Hugh Packer fan. He keeps us in stitches every year. It's a very small league with small rosters and he picks the 15th best TE in the draft. We don't require any TEs at all. He usually ends up with 6 Packers on his team.

A friend of mine is a Hugh Packer fan. He keeps us in stitches every year. It's a very small league with small rosters and he picks the 15th best TE in the draft. We don't require any TEs at all. He usually ends up with 6 Packers on his team.

Probally ends up winning it every year with 6 Packers. :peace:

Back when Clinton Portis was being picked in the top few a guy in a local looked at his magazine in the 6-8th round and declared: "I'll take C Portis"

Silence.

"Did I miss something? Did somebody already take this C Portis guy?"

Probally ends up winning it every year with 6 Packers. :peace:

In Wisconsin, never draft a Packer unless he is absolutely considered the #1 pick. Every Packer will get picked too high. (Yes, I've drafted Packers too high)

In Wisconsin, never draft a Packer unless he is absolutely considered the #1 pick. Every Packer will get picked too high. (Yes, I've drafted Packers too high)

I'm a HUGH Cowboys' fan and I never understood why/how owners could reach on drafting homer players so much. Around here it's usually Giants' fans/players. I basically forget that I'm a fan of anything except winning on draft night.