[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shady/idiotic happenings at Fantasy Drafts...

irish

Back around 1993 my buddy joined our draft. He knew nothing about football, so he bought a magazine and headed to the draft holding the #1 pick. He opened up the magazine and called the name of the player that was listed to be not just the #1 QB that year, but the best fantasy player.........Jeff Hostetler! After a roar of laughter, we realized he was serious, so we stopped the draft and made him pick someone else......and he has to burn that magazine!

In my first year playing my league was 12 fraternity brothers and we all worked at the local college bar. A few of us decided to go to the bar a few hours before the draft and watch the day preseason game and booze a little. Well one guy boozed too much and when the draft started he took Robert Edwards who had ripped his knee to shreds in a beach football game that offseason. Of course we made him keep the pick. His 2nd pick was Steve Young who retired due to concussions. We made so much fun of him he didn't ever play with us again.

In my first year playing my league was 12 fraternity brothers and we all worked at the local college bar. A few of us decided to go to the bar a few hours before the draft and watch the day preseason game and booze a little. Well one guy boozed too much and when the draft started he took Robert Edwards who had ripped his knee to shreds in a beach football game that offseason. Of course we made him keep the pick. His 2nd pick was Steve Young who retired due to concussions. We made so much fun of him he didn't ever play with us again.

Christ, i remember edwards! He tore all 4 major ligaments, 1 partially. However, he also did nerve damage and severed an artery supplying blood to his lower leg. Doctors told him that he may lose the leg and that if he walked it would be with a cane and that he would never play football again. He actually did play again which was amazing but he ended up having some sucess in, i think it was the CFL.

We had a guy one year draft Trung Canidate with the 2nd pick in the 2nd round and then walk away declaring that was his sleeper pick. I don't know about your leagues but I am not taking a sleeper pick in the 2nd round when there are so many wide awake guys you can take.

I have been playing multiple years in multiple leagues and have picked players that were already taken many times. That is not that big of a gaffe. You take a little crap from your league, pick another player, slug back another beer and move on.

There is a guy in my local who cannot pronounce any names correctly. He is correctly ridiculed severely for this every draft.

The worst name he butchered was LT. Guy has the first pick and he says this.

"I'll take LaDellian Tomplinson."

Even though we all heard him and knew who he was talking about, everyone gives him the :huh: look just so he says it again. Constant source of laughs. I'm sad that LT retired because I know I won't ever get to hear his name butchered up like that again.

I must admit a few years back I drafted "Bonzi" Wells in stead of Beanie. The fact that Bonzi played basketball greatly affected his performance.

I also drafted Mike Bell in the fourth round one year and he was so unknown there was no sticker for him with our draft kit. I should have taken that as a hint.....

In 2010, we had a guy draft Victor Cruz in the 5th round. Cruz was still just a practice squad guy in 2010. We all had a good laugh... Most guys in the league hadnt even heard of Cruz.

Of course, Cruz went undrafted last year... I guess that dude should have stuck with his gut.

During the Marshall Faulk hay days we had a dude draft him in the 10th round of a 12 round 12 team draft...wouldda been a steal had he not been drafted at 1.1 overall.

Also always have "that stats guy" who feels compelled to tell you your draft picks stats after you make the pick.

KO'd

2010 draft in a redraft league, an owner drafted Ben Tate after he had broken his ankle and was out for the year. It was one of the CBS draft boards where you post your selection on the board. As soon as he posted it and sat down, about four owners simultaneously gave him the bad news.

In 2010, we had a guy draft Victor Cruz in the 5th round. Cruz was still just a practice squad guy in 2010.

Actually, after a monster game he had in the 2010 pre-season he went down with an injury the next week and think he went on IR soon after. Never on the practice squad.

I was in a league with some guys where half of them drafted locally and the others were scattered across the country. I was one of the guys who was scattered, and everyone was online at MFL so all the picks could be seen at the same time.

One of the doos.hfuc.kers that was at the local draft literally texted me (and everyone else) every minute when our picks were up. He would also call if we didn't respond to the text. It was amazing. And the rub of it was that when it was his turn to pick, he would take 10-15 minutes to make his selection.

Worst draft of my life.

Edited by Chief Dick

A couple years ago I draft Vincent Jackson in the 4th rd of an online draft. I was working off a cheat sheet and didn't realize he was suspended for the first 4 games. I got laughed at for drafting him so high.... needless to say I kept him and he was one of the major reasons I won the league that year :tup:

There is a guy in my local who cannot pronounce any names correctly. He is correctly ridiculed severely for this every draft.

The worst name he butchered was LT. Guy has the first pick and he says this.

"I'll take LaDellian Tomplinson."

Even though we all heard him and knew who he was talking about, everyone gives him the :huh: look just so he says it again. Constant source of laughs. I'm sad that LT retired because I know I won't ever get to hear his name butchered up like that again.

We've got a guy like that in our league. I can see butchering a name that you rarely hear, but somebody like Tomlinson? Makes you wonder if theses guys every watch the NFL ;)

I was in a league with some guys where half of them drafted locally and the others were scattered across the country. I was one of the guys who was scattered, and everyone was online at MFL so all the picks could be seen at the same time.

One of the doos.hfuc.kers that was at the local draft literally texted me (and everyone else) every minute when our picks were up. He would also call if we didn't respond to the text. It was amazing. And the rub of it was that when it was his turn to pick, he would take 10-15 minutes to make his selection.

Worst draft of my life.

You all should have been texting him every 30 seconds while he was on the clock.

Had a guy draft Joe Delany the year after he died in a drowning incident. Being the"nice" giys we are we didn't tell him. He kept him on his roster for four weeks and finally asked if anybody knew what was swrong since he did not show up in the weekly stats.

IDP league. We had an owner draft DB Darrent Williams the year after he was shot and killed. This guy has won our league three times, but somehow his draft sheet still had Williams on it.

The REALLY funny thing is, he must not have crossed him off his list even though we told him Williams was dead, because he tried drafting him again about 10 rounds later.

He hears about it every single year before and during the draft.

During the 2007 season, a guy who was going on his second year in my league called out Gary Russell for his first round pick(undrafted rookie back up RB for the Steelers). Now keep in mind, I print an abundance of ADP and ESPN ranking lists for all in attendance just to prevent such a CHIPS AHOY! show. After a minute of internet searching to figure out who Gary Russell was, we were able to convince him to draft someone else. He went with Daunte Culpepper, still a big reach, but not ridiculous.

He stewed on it around the horn and for his second round pick he again called out Gary Russell. There was no convincing him this time. He believed the rest of the league was trying to screw him out of a good pick.

After the draft, I went to the league page to manually input the draft result. Gary Russell wasn't even in the universe of available fantasy players. As the commissioner, I had to make a rule on the fly. He could immediately draft any available player before waivers opened to the rest of the league (I needed his roster filled before I could finalize draft results). When Gary Russell became an available player, he would get first crack at him before he hit the waivers. There was no opposition from anyone in the league.

Gary Russell never made it on anyone's roster and ended up playing in 3 games that season for a combined 7 carries for 21 yards. To this day, whenever a pick is being delayed too long in the google spreasheet that we draft from, someone will throw in Gary Russell.

Edited by Zestmon
  • Like 1

Local league with a 30-round draft and no waiver wire. It's a long day and always very social, with alcohol in abundance. One year, an owner hosted it at his place and we were outside on the patio. This one guy starts doing shots from the very beginning and never let up. For the first 20 rounds, he would occasionally break into drunken rants -- I remember one being about the scoring system for kickers, and another about how he and his friends "invented fantasy football" and should be compensated. Then, around round 20, he crept into a nearby hammock and passed out, We made the rest of his picks for him, including a then-jailed Michael Vick and no backup kicker (a problem in a league with no waiver wire.)

• Like 1