[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

TO to Seattle (?)

bostonsoxandy

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp12/story/_/id/8240307/source-terrell-owens-impressive-seattle-seahawks-tryout

Sub 4.5 forty time is impressive. I'm sort of thinking he may have something left. And hopefully a chip on his shoulder from being cut from IFL.

I don't think TO's limited amount of whatever he has left in the tank would add enough to SEA to be worth risking the potential damage he could do to what appears to be an up-and-coming team with young QBs and a promising group of young WRs.

I'm not sure I share the optimism in Seattle's WR core; it's the weakest position on the team. While Tate and Lockette have some promise, neither of them appear to ready to play every down opposite of Rice. Tate still hasn't proven he can handle press coverage on the outside; and Baldwin will still be our slot guy. With Edwards and Owens; it appears that Seattle is hoping for a short term fix. Edwards or Owens, at 75% of their former selfs are probably going to be better than Tate or anyone else on the roster in the No. 2 position. It certainly doesn't shut the door on Tate or Durham developing into a more consistent player come 2013.

I'm not seeing the potential damage. As far as the locker room cancer, I don't remember much of that circus in Cincy or Buffalo. TO certainly needs Seattle more than they need him. Pete Carrol has already cut a couple players he's had a history with and he's certainly no ego appeaser.

I'm certainly not defending this as a great signing; but giving Edwards, Bryant, and TO a look clearly shows how desperate the Hawks are for a WR.

Edited by bushwacked

I don't think TO's limited amount of whatever he has left in the tank would add enough to SEA to be worth risking the potential damage he could do to what appears to be an up-and-coming team with young QBs and a promising group of young WRs.

Maybe I haven't been paying attention enough, which WRs are including in this promising, young group? Tate? Nobody with over 748 yds, nobody with more than 48 recep, nobody with more than 4 TDs and nobody with more than 81 targets. I'm thinking that a "washed-up" Owens can't do worse.

Other than Baldwin and the oft-injured Rice, the rest of the crew (Obomanu, Lockette, Tate, Butler and Durham had 73 receptions combined for 849 yards and 5 TDs. Owens, probably wouldn't, but could match those numbers by himself.

Edited by irish

Maybe I haven't been paying attention enough, which WRs are including in this promising, young group? Tate? Nobody with over 748 yds, nobody with more than 48 recep, nobody with more than 4 TDs and nobody with more than 81 targets. I'm thinking that a "washed-up" Owens can't do worse.

Other than Baldwin and the oft-injured Rice, the rest of the crew (Obomanu, Lockette, Tate, Butler and Durham had 73 receptions combined for 849 yards and 5 TDs. Owens, probably wouldn't, but could match those numbers by himself.

Tate is still very very young, add him to Baldwin and Rice and that is their young WR core for the future. Obamanu has also shown glimpses of competence at times.

Tate is still very very young, add him to Baldwin and Rice and that is their young WR core for the future. Obamanu has also shown glimpses of competence at times.

I hear ya. I guess I just don't see how that group would prevent me from at least bringing Owens in. We're not talking Pro-Bowlers, All-Pros, future Hall of Famers or even proven productive players amongst that group. We're strictly talking potential could-bes.

Whether owens brings the drama himself it will come if he gets on a team as reporters will incessantly ask drama questions until there is some. The story is already written, they are not going to expend energy rethinking it at this point. The young Q.B.'s there do not need constant questions about whether Owens will weepily refer to them as his Q.B.

They would be far better served to get Driver from the Packers. Driver is a consumate pro that Flynn is familiar with. Driver can teach those young recievers what it is to practice like a pro, prepare like a pro, and produce while remaining part of a team, not trying to be the main attraction.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

Whether owens brings the drama himself it will come if he gets on a team as reporters will incessantly ask drama questions until their is some. The story is already written, they are not going to expend energy ethinking it at this point. The young Q.B.'s there do not need constant questions about whether owens will weepily refer to them as his Q.B.

They would be far better served to get Driver from the Packers. Driver is a consumate pro that Flynn is familiar with. Driver can teach those young recievers what it is to practice like a pro, prepare like a pro, and produce while remaining part of a team, not trying to be the main attraction.

Not a bad idea but Driver's not going anywhere.

Owens is in the process of signing a 1-year deal with the Seahawks.

:tup: I for one am on board with it. Gives the Seahawks some much needed national attention (for the better or worse) and I personally think TO could put together a decent season. I'll take a last round flier on him if he looks good in the preseason.

:tup: I for one am on board with it. Gives the Seahawks some much needed national attention (for the better or worse) and I personally think TO could put together a decent season. I'll take a last round flier on him if he looks good in the preseason.

I hope it works out for T.O. One has to admire his incredible conditioning. He's 38 years old. Curtis Martin just got into the HOF at the age of 39, and he had a long career too. I fear that he QB play will be subpar and he will have a similar season to the Buffalo one and everyone will blame T.O.

As long as he's healthy, in shape and doesn't create drama, I'm ok with him signing. A sub 4.5 answers the health and conditioning question. I think his drama days are behind him. He's playing for the NFL paycheck now that he's broke, so he's motivated to play well and behave. There isn't much risk here for the Seahawks, only upside. If Mike Williams can have a nice comeback year like he did 2 years ago, TO certainly can. Oh, and Pete Carroll likes big receivers. I won't be surprised to not only see him make the team but also contribute this season.

You should have been careful of what you wished for, because now you've got it. A WR who will turn 39 during the season, is only playing right now because he pissed away tens of millions of dollars, and has spent an entire career much more worried about himself than his team. I'm reminded of when SEA picked up another aged HOF WR who played on the superb 49er teams of yore who also looked like he was in outstanding physical condition. How did that work out - and Rice was a consummate team guy, unlike Owens.

Irish - Tate is probably ready to make his mark as a WR in the NFL. He has admitted he wasn't doing what was needed to become a starting NFL WR and has rededicated himself. But the guy I really have my eye on is Ricardo Lockette. The guy showed some flashes of being capable of being an impact guy before he got hurt, and word is out he is having a lights-out TC, regularly torching the SEA secondary - including starters - and making some big time plays. Add Obomanu, who looks at least like solid depth with upside and Durham, who also looks to have some upside

Edited by Bronco Billy

This sounds a lot like all the hand-wringing over SF picking up Moss. Here's the thing, every young WR on every NFL roster has the speed and skills needed if they "rededicate themselves". You could make the same argument for all the guys in SF just needing a chance, but bringing in a guy like Moss or TO doesn't mean they won't. It's not like RB where a back-up literally needs to wait until someone gets hurt or stinks it up to start getting running-down reps. There are plenty of rotating sets where a kid can get a chance to shine.

If you keep getting open, be it in practice, or pre-season, or regular season, someone will notice. Maybe not in time to get you the ball that play, but there's a coach up in the booth whose primary job is to look at the WRs. And if one of these kids keeps getting open or running great routes, they're going to get their reps and the QB is going to be told to look for them. And if they do it more often than TO, they're going to take his job (assuming it's even "his" job to begin with).

Whatever happened to competition? WRs aren't like QBs where you need basically annoint them king and stick with them until they prove they can't do the job. Each and every season, WRs just rise to the top by making plays, first in limited action, and then ultimately as a starter.

Edited by detlef

So a me-first prima donna well on the downhill side of his career and with a track record of disrupting veteran teams being placed on a team with 2 talented young QBs vying for starting reps and several young WRs fighting for reps to get targets in the upcoming season should have no concerns at all? That's your position?

Edited by Bronco Billy

So a me-first prima donna well on the downhill side of his career and with a track record of disrupting veteran teams being placed on a team with 2 talented young QBs vying for starting reps and several young WRs fighting for reps to get targets in the upcoming season should have no concerns at all? That's your position?

Sure, why not. Whatever you say.

Mind you, another way of looking at it is that the Seattle top brass doesn't share your enthusiasm about their young WRs and is, thus prepared to roll the dice on TO. Much like SF is with Moss. Both teams knowing, full well, that they could cut either in a heart beat and that, in both cases, the young WRs will not be prevented a chance to prove they've developed. Assuming they actually have.

Edited by detlef

I'm not saying it, I'm asking you if that is an accurate assessment of your previously stated position.

Jesus H Christ, I know better.

You can't be serious. Basically every time someone says something contrary to your point, the very first thing you do is "paraphrase" their post in as unflattering and easy to refute a manner as possible.

But, really, you're just trying make sure you understand them correctly?

Gotcha.

As somebody else said, TO doesn't have to bring drama to a team, it follows him.

Makes me wonder whether SEA (and SF for that matter) are really trying to fill a hole at WR, of just signing a former star as a PR move, and to motivate their younger WRs. Like others I think it is a very high risk low reward move (especially TO).

All we can do is speculate and :pop:

How much of this had to do with the QB situation?