[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

TO to Seattle (?)

bostonsoxandy

How much of this had to do with the QB situation?

Half of it. Still doesn't mean that that WR core is good and that owens won't be an upgrade

Like others I think it is a very high risk low reward move (especially TO).

Seattle is a young team, with an extremely young offensive line, an unknown starting QB, a RB who will likely be suspended for 25 % of the season, extremely thin at WR, and an extremely tough start to the 2012 season. The Hawks will likely need some luck to start 3-5.

• @Arizona Cardinals

• Dallas Cowboys

• Green Bay Packers

• @St. Louis Rams

• @Carolina Panthers

• New England Patriots

• @San Francisco 49ers

• @Detroit Lions

Whatever giant risk Terrel Owens (coming to training camp) is supposed to represent is beyond me.

Seattle is a young team, with an extremely young offensive line, an unknown starting QB, a RB who will likely be suspended for 25 % of the season, extremely thin at WR, and an extremely tough start to the 2012 season. The Hawks will likely need some luck to start 3-5.

• @Arizona Cardinals

• Dallas Cowboys

• Green Bay Packers

• @St. Louis Rams

• @Carolina Panthers

• New England Patriots

• @San Francisco 49ers

• @Detroit Lions

Whatever giant risk Terrel Owens (coming to training camp) is supposed to represent is beyond me.

You're right, TO is the consumate team player and has never been (even through extra media attention) a distraction to any club he's played for. :okay:

Does T.O. really get the opportunity to become a distraction? I would assume they would cut his old ass at the first sight of any trouble. Not that I agree with the signing anyway, but from a fan standpoint I love it!

So a me-first prima donna well on the downhill side of his career and with a track record of disrupting veteran teams being placed on a team with 2 talented young QBs vying for starting reps and several young WRs fighting for reps to get targets in the upcoming season should have no concerns at all? That's your position?

Are you including Tarvaris Jackson as one of those talented young QBS?

Edited by MikesVikes

You're right, TO is the consumate team player and has never been (even through extra media attention) a distraction to any club he's played for. :okay:

I'm not claiming that TO is a consummate team player that has never been a distraction. I'm saying at worst he gets cut right away and doesn't contribute, at best he produces enough to make the Hawks 9-7 and a borderline playoff team, (instead of something like 7-9 ). You are saying there is some huge inherent tangible risk with this signing. As someone who watches a lot of Seahawk football, this risk is lost on me. Your reply has done nothing to help me recognize this dire risk you are aware of.

Does T.O. really get the opportunity to become a distraction? I would assume they would cut his old ass at the first sight of any trouble.

This.

Per Rotoworld: Seahawks GM calls TO signing a "no-brainer"

Seahawks GM John Schneider termed it a "no-brainer" to sign Terrell Owens after he was "blown away" by the 38-year-old's workout.

Coach Pete Carroll added that a "humble" Owens had a "phenomenal" workout for the team. Carroll felt more comfortable taking the leap after Carson Palmer vouched for the noted quarterback killer as a teammate. The comments lend credence to NFL Network's Michael Lombardi's belief that Owens was signed with the idea that he would earn a starting job. Owens will not play in the preseason opener on Saturday.

I seriously think that Owens' reputation is more bark than bite. I don't remember him being a huge distraction when he was with Baltimore or Buffalo. But maybe he was... The bigger issue is with team chemistry / growth opportunity for the WRs there. This signing says a couple of things to me:

1. There is little confidence in Sidney Rice being/staying healthy.

2. There is little confidence in the rest of the WR group being good enough to help the Seahawks win.

Seems like maybe Edwards / Owens are really insurance while they wait on Rice. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those two didn't make it into the regular season as a Seahawk.

I seriously think that Owens' reputation is more bark than bite. I don't remember him being a huge distraction when he was with Baltimore or Buffalo. But maybe he was... The bigger issue is with team chemistry / growth opportunity for the WRs there. This signing says a couple of things to me:

1. There is little confidence in Sidney Rice being/staying healthy.

2. There is little confidence in the rest of the WR group being good enough to help the Seahawks win.

Seems like maybe Edwards / Owens are really insurance while they wait on Rice. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those two didn't make it into the regular season as a Seahawk.

TO never played for Baltimore. You may be thinking of Cinci.

Well, a team has to do what it thinks gives it the best chance to win, and I can certainly see the potential advantages of bringing a vet on board as an insurance policy of sorts against Rice not being ready or getting hurt again. I just happen to think that SEA has some promising young WRs on the rise and would like to see them get the reps and gametime that Owens and Edwards are going to utilize. I think there are at least two very real breakout youngsters on that squad. I'm not sure either vet is a good fit on the team.

Well, a team has to do what it thinks gives it the best chance to win, and I can certainly see the potential advantages of bringing a vet on board as an insurance policy of sorts against Rice not being ready or getting hurt again. I just happen to think that SEA has some promising young WRs on the rise and would like to see them get the reps and gametime that Owens and Edwards are going to utilize. I think there are at least two very real breakout youngsters on that squad. I'm not sure either vet is a good fit on the team.

Two very real breakout youngsters is a stretch for me. Are you talking about Baldwin and Tate? I love Baldwin but neither him nor Tate are going to become star. TO and Edwards can help them win now and also provide some competition for the youngsters. It's not like they are guaranteed starting spots. If Baldwin/Tate are stars and play well they will get reps.

The only downside I see with these signings are the possiblilty that TO starts to yap about something. I don't see that happening after he has had his ego properly squashed by not getting signed for an entire year followed by getting cut by the indoor football league.

I see a group of Tate, Lockette, Baldwin, Obomanu, and Durham are the one I'm speaking to, and I'm thinking the first two - while not superstars - can become capable starters at the NFL level capable of at least putting up the numbers that Owens and Edwards can do in this offense.

I also know that if Owens and Edwars are around that the group above is going to get that much less work in practice and important work in games during the preseason, when what they need the most is reps and training.

The longer Owens and Edwards are around, the less those guys get a chance to fully develop, and the greater the chance multiples of them get cut.

Edited by Bronco Billy

As somebody said already, TO doesn't have to do anything to cause a distraction for the team. Reporters will be looking for a story, and asking all sorts of stupid questions of Carroll, the QB and other teammates.

Sure TO could help them win, sure he could help out the young WR (don't recall him doing much in the past).

As far as all the BS about TO being humble now because he was cut by an AFL team, I'll believe that when I see it.

Good luck Seahawk fans.

(PS Also agree with BB on the whole point of developing their young WR. What good does it do winning some now [not going to make the playoffs or go deep] if the young talent you have never gets to develop.)

Yeah, ne nixed the trade to them.

Yeah, I was thinking Cincy... And BB, your logic is the reason that I expect that the Seahawks will likely cut either Edwards or Owens. It doesn't make much sense for both vets to be there, but having one vet there to lead the WR group does make sense. We'll see what happens... If both guys impress enough during the preseason, maybe they both stick. If I had to guess, I'd say Edwards gets cut.

Seattle isn't blossoming with ample can't miss young WR talent. Lockette is a project with blazing speed who was promoted off the practice squad late last season. Tate is losing playing time because of Baldwin, as a rookie last year, took over his position in the slot and Tate hasn't shown he's capable of being an every down receiver. There are plenty of NFL WRs that have potential,, but you typically don't start a young WR who still needs to develop. Some of you guys are completely over-thinking this. Seattle needs a #2 WR, to play opposite of Rice, because after cutting Mike Williams (who apparently ballooned in weight) they didn't have one on their roster coming into training camp.

Edited by bushwacked

Seattle isn't blossoming with ample can't miss young WR talent. Lockette is a project with blazing speed who was promoted off the practice squad late last season. Tate is losing playing time because of Baldwin, as a rookie last year, took over his position in the slot and Tate hasn't shown he's capable of being an every down receiver. There are plenty of NFL WRs that have potential,, but you typically don't start a young WR who still needs to develop. Some of you guys are completely over-thinking this. Seattle needs a #2 WR, to play opposite of Rice, because after cutting Mike Williams (who apparently ballooned in weight) they didn't have one on their roster coming into training camp.

I think this mentality is a function of playing FF. At least if you're the kind of person who comes to a site like this. You get enamored with the game within the game of being the guy who pulled the sleeper out of his ass that you become perhaps a bit too inclined to see the positives in otherwise marginal to average prospects.

The simple fact is, nobody feared Seattle's WRs last year so, were I a fan of that team, I'd be more concerned if they just decided to roll with who they had than by them taking a shot on a guy like TO. Assuming, of course, that they're putting him on a short leash and he knows it.

This is just my perception, but as long as I've been paying close attention to football, the number of WRs who blossomed without having had the starting role given to them via injury or to another (or some other reason they became the defacto starter) has seemed to far out-weigh other positions. Certainly, the number of players who I may not have even known anything about going into a FF season who have emerged enogh to warrant a roster spot seems much higher for me at WR than others. With that in mind, I'm more inclined to believe that the cream at that position, assuming it is actually cream, is more inclined to rise to the top on its own.

(PS Also agree with BB on the whole point of developing their young WR. What good does it do winning some now [not going to make the playoffs or go deep]

This is Carrol's third year. He went 7-9 in 2010 (and upset the Saints by squeaking into the playoffs) and 7-9 last year. By almost all accounts, he's done a great job completely flipping a washed up old team into competitors in a short time frame. But, you can only go so many seasons, as an NFL coach, without progress before your job is on the line.

I also disagree with your insinuation that you have to either suck and develop players or go deep into the playoffs to generate a potential long term benefit for the organization. Especially this day and age.

This is Carrol's third year. He went 7-9 in 2010 (and upset the Saints by squeaking into the playoffs) and 7-9 last year. By almost all accounts, he's done a great job completely flipping a washed up old team into competitors in a short time frame. But, you can only go so many seasons, as an NFL coach, without progress before your job is on the line.

I also disagree with your insinuation that you have to either suck and develop players or go deep into the playoffs to generate a potential long term benefit for the organization. Especially this day and age.

Further, the notion that bringing in a guy like TO will retard the development of the other WRs is entirely speculative. If he sucks as badly as some think he will and they're as talented as people say, they'll move past him on the depth chart and it will be a non-factor. That is, assuming they'd be prepared to cut his ass if he slides down the depth chart and starts acting like a dick.

On the other hand, if he plays nice and has anything left, there could be something they could learn. Not saying he's going to mentor anyone or that you'd even want that from a guy like him. However, I've never heard anyone question his work ethic and if he blew the coaches away in his workout like they said, then perhaps the young guys could learn something at least about staying fit from the guy.

I see a group of Tate, Lockette, Baldwin, Obomanu, and Durham are the one I'm speaking to, and I'm thinking the first two - while not superstars - can become capable starters at the NFL level capable of at least putting up the numbers that Owens and Edwards can do in this offense.

I also know that if Owens and Edwars are around that the group above is going to get that much less work in practice and important work in games during the preseason, when what they need the most is reps and training.

The longer Owens and Edwards are around, the less those guys get a chance to fully develop, and the greater the chance multiples of them get cut.

Disagree with bolded. I believe that a swift kick in the butt via signing competition is even more beneficial to guys like Tate, Baldwin than just mere reps. And Owens/Edwards won't impact the amount of time those guys spend training, that is just silly.

I agree that Owens isn't gonna mentor well or anything. But Edwards, eh, he could. And Owens is there to provide competition for the youngsters and give them a real battle, instead of just coasting through the pre-season knowing for a fact they are making the roster. I know that that is how Tate and Baldwin felt going into training camp, knowing they had a spot barring disaster, but now they really have to be dedicated and work their ass off to get their spot.

per rotoworld:

According to GM John Schneider, the Seahawks timed Terrell Owens at 4.43 and 4.45 in the forty at 220 pounds before signing him.

"Here is a 38-year-old man that came in, weighed 220 pounds, and ran 4.45, 4.43 and once he did that ... I didn’t see that coming," Schneider conceded. "... He ran really well, dropped his hips really well, worked his way back to the ball, didn’t drop a ball and was really quite impressive." Schneider also hinted that Owens, as expected, will be on a zero-tolerance policy in Seattle.

That's it. I'm officially jumping on the 2012-2013 Terrell Owens Bandwagon.

per rotoworld:

According to GM John Schneider, the Seahawks timed Terrell Owens at 4.43 and 4.45 in the forty at 220 pounds before signing him.

"Here is a 38-year-old man that came in, weighed 220 pounds, and ran 4.45, 4.43 and once he did that ... I didn’t see that coming," Schneider conceded. "... He ran really well, dropped his hips really well, worked his way back to the ball, didn’t drop a ball and was really quite impressive." Schneider also hinted that Owens, as expected, will be on a zero-tolerance policy in Seattle.

That's it. I'm officially jumping on the 2012-2013 Terrell Owens Bandwagon.

Do you believe that Owens is faster now at 38 than he was at his pro day? Really? I think you have to call complete B.S. on GM John Schneider's report. It just does not pass the smell test.

As for those saying Owens can at least be a model of fitness I would note that the Seahawks actually have a strength and conditioning coach, they don't need Owens for that.

Me, I believe T.O. will slightly retard the development of their young W.R.'s That is, however, not the issue. The issue is that Seattle has an even greater interest in developing their Q.B.'s if they are to be a franchise to be contended with, and Owens has never helped a Q.B. develop, quite the contrary really.

• Like 1

Do you believe that Owens is faster now at 38 than he was at his pro day? Really? I think you have to call complete B.S. on GM John Schneider's report. It just does not pass the smell test.

As for those saying Owens can at least be a model of fitness I would note that the Seahawks actually have a strength and conditioning coach, they don't need Owens for that.

Me, I believe T.O. will slightly retard the development of their young W.R.'s That is, however, not the issue. The issue is that Seattle has an even greater interest in developing their Q.B.'s if they are to be a franchise to be contended with, and Owens has never helped a Q.B. develop, quite the contrary really.

TO may have eventually called him ghey, but Garcia developed pretty quickly into a solid QB while TO was there. Not saying TO was responsible, but I wouldn't exactly say he held him back.

TO may have eventually called him ghey, but Garcia developed pretty quickly into a solid QB while TO was there. Not saying TO was responsible, but I wouldn't exactly say he held him back.

McNabb's QB rating also spiked from 79.6 to 104.7 when TO was added year-by-year. Second year of TO, QB rating of 85.0 of course both TO and McNabb played 7 and 9 games that year respectively; then TO leaves and his next three QB ratings are 95.5, 89.9, 86.4.

:shrug: Statistically, McNabb had inarguably the best year of his career once T.O. joined the team.