[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Joe Haden facing suspension

Crazysight

"Haden failed a drug test during the offseason that could ultimately result in four-game suspension from the NFL, ESPN Cleveland reports. Haden tested positive for the prescription drug Adderall during a routine, off-season test and now faces a second drug test, according to the report. If he failed the second test, he'd face a suspension. Analysis: Neither the NFL league office nor Haden would comment about the situation. While there's a risk Haden could be suspended, it sounds early in the process and it's not clear he'll fail a second test."

Richardson's knee acting up, Haden facing suspension...although they need now is for D'qwell Jackson to tear his ACL and all of the talent will be effectively sucked off that team.

And how ridiculous is it for Adderall to be a banned substance? It's a prescription medication for a medical condition! And they're going to ban it because it's a stimulant? Is red bull a banned substance too? Are players not allowed to drink coffee or tea?

Edited by Crazysight

Maybe the NFL wants its players to be sedated during games. That would be exciting to watch! Better than half of the Browns team already plays that way on any given sunday to begin with, and their ownership hasn't woken up in the entire time since the team has been reinstated.

great, just great. And you forgot to mention Gocong out for the year and Phil Taylor out until at least October

I was going to mention he forgot Gocong. I either didn't hear of or forgot about Taylor.

Oh well, we probably weren't going to win more than 4-6 games even with all those guys (and Weeden, Richardson, and others working out).

If there is another injury or development, I'd expect it to be an OL out for an extended time, that has been a common occurence for the Browns over the last 5 years.

Wait. There's an ESPN Cleveland? :shocking:

Yep, http://www.espncleveland.com/

Not sure what it is other than two radio stations that are ESPN affiliated and a web site. I was trying to see what others exist, but most places only listed the initial 4 (Boston, Chicago, Dallas, NY, LA). I don't look at the site, nor do I listen to sports radio. But I've been hearing the ESPN Cleveland thing thrown around locally.

Thanks, ajh2. Just came back into when I realized my question was open to misinterpretation - my point being, couldn't there be a very legit reason why he'd be taking it without seeking performance enhancement?

I saw another discussion of this somewhere and somebody basically said "speed is speed" implying that this drug is like speed (I have no idea).

The question would be, can he take a banned substance if approved by a medical doctor. If not then his legitimate reason is not legit, and he'll be suspended. Any medical person that treats an athlete should have a list of the banned substances (provided by the player or their agent) so they know not to give these guys the stuff.

Thanks, ajh2. Just came back into when I realized my question was open to misinterpretation - my point being, couldn't there be a very legit reason why he'd be taking it without seeking performance enhancement?

Well, of course you do have to be prescribed for it to be legit....

I used to be prescribed adderall (and now have a coffee addiction just to be able to stop taking it). The generic version is actually "amphetamine tabs" which yes, I can attest to is definitely a performance-enhancing drug. It is essentailly legal speed, and will definitely put you in the zone.

I took it because I'm ADD to take for school of course, but when on it, I used to be at the top of my game at everything from video games to darts to sports.

(ETA: but if there are any young athletes or ADD folks here, the side effects of addiction, not being able to eat and elevated heart-rate all make it a very dangerous drug to get on if you don't really need it).

Edited by delusions of grandeur

Well, of course you do have to be prescribed for it to be legit....

I used to be prescribed adderall (and now have a coffee addiction just to be able to stop taking it). The generic version is actually "amphetamine tabs" which yes, I can attest to is definitely a performance-enhancing drug. It is essentailly legal speed, and will definitely put you in the zone.

I took it because I'm ADD to take for school of course, but when on it, I used to be at the top of my game at everything from video games to darts to sports.

(ETA: but if there are any young athletes or ADD folks here, the side effects of addiction, not being able to eat and elevated heart-rate all make it a very dangerous drug to get on if you don't really need it).

Even if he is prescribed, does that automatically mean the NFL ban on the substance doesn't apply? What if a player gets a script for pot, can the league not suspend him for it?

Don't have the time to dig into it now, but surely there's something written in the CBA or NFL rules on drug testing that clarify some of this. I doubt a prescription alone is enough to get around the NFL banned substance list, otherwise I'd think plenty of the players could find a doctor to prescribe just about anything.

Even if he is prescribed, does that automatically mean the NFL ban on the substance doesn't apply? What if a player gets a script for pot, can the league not suspend him for it?

Don't have the time to dig into it now, but surely there's something written in the CBA or NFL rules on drug testing that clarify some of this. I doubt a prescription alone is enough to get around the NFL banned substance list, otherwise I'd think plenty of the players could find a doctor to prescribe just about anything.

It appears that it is, according to this article from Deadspin (good read, BTW):

But the fact remains, there's no way for us to tell Adderall from greenies or meth or any other form of amphetamines in a drug test. They all provide the same competitive benefits—increased alertness, increased stamina, increased oxygen flow—but only Adderall has recognized medical benefits. And the NFL, to its credit, accepts this. If a player has a legitimate prescription for Adderall or Ritalin or any ADHD drug, they merely need to inform the league, and those failed drug tests are tossed out.

That makes sense. Players and agents (and teams if the player is forthcoming and tells them) all get the banned substance list. If the player has a legit medical condition and a prescription they can submit it to the league for approval.

If they don't, they're going to get suspended when they test positive. Ignorance is not a viable excuse.

So it appears that procedure is you notify the NFL (file some paperwork) if you are taking a banned substance under a doctor's perscription. If you don't do that and fail the test, you get a suspension. Then you can appeal and if they believe you, it is overturned. If not, you're SOL.

So why wouldn't you make sure to file that paperwork and have your ass covered before the tests?

That was a good read, but still not getting enough facts here. Like for instance when you fail the test do they know it was Adderall or could it have been something else (like meth). So much is not allowed to be discussed (by rule of the CBA), that nobody is sure what is going on.

Like for instance when you fail the test do they know it was Adderall or could it have been something else (like meth).

The way the test works they can tell that it's adderall specifically and not something else. It has very legitimate medical uses but also gets abused, even by a lot of white collar professionals trying to get an "edge" one way or the other. People who should know better take it while studying for and taking tests, working long hours, etc, to improve performance. It's that widespread.

Seems like you'd want to submit this 10 times out of 10. Strange business...

• 3 weeks later...

Still nothing official, but saw this today on the Huddle Player News page

<a href="http://www.thehuddle.com/nfl/player/23982/">Joe Haden - CB - Cleveland Browns Posted 8/29/12 12:09am et facebook_thumb.jpg twitter_thumb2.gif Cleveland Browns CB Joe Haden could be suspended for the first four games of the season after testing positive for Adderall, an NFL banned substance used to treat ADHD. Huddle Up: Despite going without an interception last season, Haden is unquestionably Cleveland's top cover CB, and his absence would be a bitter blow for a defense which was a surprising No. 2 against the pass last season.