[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

First year auction league...How long should the draft take?

Sprtfan

First year auction draft and the first time any of us has been part of an auction league. We will be drafting 15 players each. I need to reserve a room at a resturant for our draft and I'm not sure how much time we should need? We were not able to find anyone to be the auctioneer, so we are going to go in order around the table making bids. If you don't make a bid, you are out on that player. I know it will depend on the people at the draft, but was looking for a ball park figure on the time. Also, should we put a 30 sec time limit or something on each person when it is their time to bid? I wouldn't think that this should be much of an issue but really don't know. Thanks

My guess is 3-4 hours. I know you didn't ask for comments, but I'll give you one anyways, I'd really suggest you change the format of your auction. Our league tried going around the table once and we didn't even make it through the entire auction before we changed to open outcry. Even without an outside auctioneer it is not unmanageable and it is much more fun. Many owners enjoy hanging back and not bidding until the end. Just my $0.02. Good luck.

We have 12 teams, 15 players. Our first year was close to five hours with several breaks. Every year since, we've gotten it down just under four hours.

Also, I've been the auctioneer and drafted my team. It's a bit weird throwing in fake bids here and there. However, if one of your other owners is will to also help auctioneer, you can easily draft a team while he is the auctioneer.

Should have mentioned that we have 10 teams. I'll probably get it for 4 hours and hope for the best. I doubt that they will reserved the room for anyone else any way since we start at 5:30 and do not close until 12:00.

If 10 team league then 2-2:30 hours. Add thirty minutes per two teams over ten. Of course, since it is the first year, add another 30 minutes for any hiccups from noob owners, LoL. Auction drafts do not take much more time than redrafts.

We are still trying to find an acutioneer and will pay for food and drink for the night but have not had any luck yet. Being our first year, we were going the conservative route with going around the table since no one wanted to step up and pull double duty. Maybe we will make the swtich midway as well.

My guess is 3-4 hours. I know you didn't ask for comments, but I'll give you one anyways, I'd really suggest you change the format of your auction. Our league tried going around the table once and we didn't even make it through the entire auction before we changed to open outcry. Even without an outside auctioneer it is not unmanageable and it is much more fun. Many owners enjoy hanging back and not bidding until the end. Just my $0.02. Good luck.

Totally agree on this. Once you've done open bidding, you realize it's not nearly as difficult as you might think.

I normally do the auctioneering in my leagues in addtion to managing my own team. Make sure whoever does it stays consistent with the countdown for obvious reasons. Being the first auction I'd plan for 4 hrs minimum. If you want to speed it up, announce before it starts to keep side conversations low so those interested in bidding can hear and you don't get bogged down with "how much he said?". And just like in a draft, stress to your league members that as much as they can help it, have someone ready to put up for bid.