[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think this guy is going to prove to be the best young linebacker in the league. That said, because of the plethora of good LBs on the Panthers it looks as though he'll be starting at the WLB position his rookie year. If he were starting in the middle I'd expect him to be a big time IDP stud right off the bat, If we are to treat as factual my opinion that he is a big time stud who is already more than ready to get it done on the NFL level, then how much short term value will he have/lose having to play on the weak side this year?

My concern isn't that he is playing WLB, it's that he has to fight Beason and Anderson for tackles...then much of his value will be dependant on if he can secure a spot in their nickel package...he is someone that I am very interested to watch in the preseason to see

how the Panthers plan to use him.

I think he's better than either of them, though they are talented in their own right and sure to dilute his numbers some. Scheme-wise though I'm wondering how much of a hindrance it will be for him to be playing weak side. I feel he's better suited for the middle and that they'd get the most out of him there. I suspect that's where he will eventually be.

Edited by Crazysight

• 3 weeks later...

You can't really put too much stock into the nickel packages that have been played so far because two of the LBs haven't been healthy (Beason and Davis).

It wouldn't surprise me to see Beason and Davis run the nickel defense even though I think that Kuechly is probably the best (or 2nd best depending on if you trust Davis' knees) coverage LB on his team. That one is probably a wait and see.

It does seem as though base 4-3 WLB is Kuechly's home for now but I have seen a lot more 3-4 run than I expected to see out of Carolina this preseason. In that formation, you have to believe that Kuechly and Beason are playing inside when Beason is healthy.

Kuechly didn't see the field very much on subpackages whatsoever.

Beason never left the field much at all and Anderson looks like the guy who is getting most of work in nickel beside Beason.

Davis subbed in periodically.

Beason never left the field much at all and Anderson looks like the guy who is getting most of work in nickel beside Beason.

Davis looked good on the couple of goal line plays that I saw too.

Ya, this is going to be a problem. I like the kid a lot as a player, but if he's going to come out that often against Tampa, I can only imagine vs NO and ATL passing attacks..