[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Desmond Bishop hurt

(Rotoworld) In addition to a knee sprain, Packers ILB Desmond Bishop also suffered a potential hamstring injury in Thursday's preseason opener. Analysis: "Desmond's injury didn't look very good," acknowledged McCarthy. "Hopefully we'll get some good news but it's up in the air." Bishop will have to undergo testing to determine the severity of the sprain. He was projected to be a top-15 IDP linebacker for the 2012 season.

The benefit of this whole thing is that Williams and Manning will get more reps at MLB while Bishop recovers. Hopefully at least one of them makes enough of an impression to push Hawk off the field when Bishop returns.

Hawk was back to his 2011 form last night - start 5 yds off the LOS and only move laterally to the ball. The guy just never steps up into the hole to meet the ball carrier. Very frustrating.

The benefit of this whole thing is that Williams and Manning will get more reps at MLB while Bishop recovers. Hopefully at least one of them makes enough of an impression to push Hawk off the field when Bishop returns.

Hawk was back to his 2011 form last night - start 5 yds off the LOS and only move laterally to the ball. The guy just never steps up into the hole to meet the ball carrier. Very frustrating.

Did you mean Smith :huh:

I read DJ Smith filled in for Bishop last season and did ok. Anything to see there from a fantasy POV?

/i see him as a significant IDP player as long as Bishop is out, as that who's spot is taken over and Hawk can't tackle.

Seeing reports on twitter that he needs hamstring surgery and his season is in jeopardy

And the length to heal won't be determined until after the surgery.

Another factor is that the players have not ratified the proposed rule change allowing 1 player per team to be taken off IR after 8 weeks, so count that out.

so bishop is gone for a while and maybe even the whole year.....gotta pick up another LB to help platoon a spot with Levy (he was just my backup but now will be starting some weeks). Who would you pick up between Smith, Kavell Conner,and Leroy Hill? (those are the top 2 LB's available right now) I would love to watch Smith pick up where Bishop would have left off and I'm sure he will take the 3 down role because Hawk cant play the pass, but no guarantees there. I like Conner moving to the middle with Angerer in the 3-4 in Indy and Hill is solid but never been great.

This year, DJ Smith is very likely to reprise his role in weeks 12-15 last year in substituting for an injured Bishop.

During that time last year, Smith racked up 24 solos, 9 assists and an interception; making him a borderline LB1 - solid LB2. You could certainly do worse than Smith in your starting lineup, especially if you were banking on Bishop making starts for you.

I don't think Smith has the pass rush ability that Bishop exhibited but I think that some gaudy tackle numbers aren't out of the realm of possibility for him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Brad Jones played more than AJ Hawk did at ILB against the Rams. He got nickel and dime snaps as Smith did before the injury. Jones didn't have a great game but he represents decent value given the opportunity he has.