[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How did Manning look?

CaptainHook

Honestly, I thought his throws lacked zip and I'm not being sarcastic because I know that description has been floating around here and there. He looked fine otherwise and I don't expect him to be terrible but I'm actually surprised it was noticeable. I think he'll be fine for the regular season, fwiw.

It may have been the fact he didn't throw a spiral. The throw from the far hash to the sideline got their in plenty of time, it just wobbled. Manning has never thrown the prettiest ball, in fact, his rookie year, he threw a lot of wobblers that were still on the money, but I will say I noticed it too, Brentastic. It may just be the time off. We'll see.

I didn't think his passes lacked zip all that much. Threw across his body on a sideline route that required him to put some zip on it, and he put it on the money. The intercepted pass was a bit behind Stokley, but should have been caught. He looked poised, confident, and showed no signs of nervousness standing in the pocket. It was a fine showing for his first action in a year and a half. I said it in an article I wrote, and I will say it again. He is going to be fine folks.

It may have been the fact he didn't throw a spiral. The throw from the far hash to the sideline got their in plenty of time, it just wobbled. Manning has never thrown the prettiest ball, in fact, his rookie year, he threw a lot of wobblers that were still on the money, but I will say I noticed it too, Brentastic. It may just be the time off. We'll see.

That's the one throw that sticks out to me. The announcer was hyping it but it looked slow to me. Could have been the wobble. Again, I'm not concerned because he looked just as smart etc... and even if I'm right, he's still building the muscles in his arm from a year off. I just seem to recall a little more pep on his throws :shrug:

That's the one throw that sticks out to me. The announcer was hyping it but it looked slow to me. Could have been the wobble. Again, I'm not concerned because he looked just as smart etc... and even if I'm right, he's still building the muscles in his arm from a year off. I just seem to recall a little more pep on his throws :shrug:

Yeah, probably so, but considering the circumstances that is to be expected as noted. Aside from everything else, he is 36 years old now so his passes will be losing velocity from here on out one would suspect as a natural aspect of aging. He will naturallly have to lean more on his football acumen as his physical skills deteriorate. But I didn't see anything physically that would deter me from my thinking that he will be a fine fantasy selection this year.

Manning's mid-range passes were fluttering. The ball took noticeably longer to get to receivers 12 yds downfield than it has in the past. He missed badly on a corner route and threw the balll behind Stokley and directly into the strength of the coverage on his INT.

Now, this is the first time he's thrown against another opponent in more than a year and a half, so it may take him a while to get his sea legs under him again. The mind is still as sharp as ever in recognizing disguises in the D and making adjustments at the LOS.

But the camp reports that his arm is as strong as ever or even that he's at 80% of his prime? There was absolutely no evidence of that last night. It's still PS week 1. Let's see if he progresses.

The preseason may improve Manning's timing, or the rapport with his receivers, but it's not making that muscle any stronger. For someone as anal as Manning, after a year of rehab it's as strong as it'll be all season. The nerves may continue to regenerate somewhat, but the timeline of an NFL season is too short for that to make much of an appreciable difference. What you see is what you get. You either like it or you don't.

If anyone's wise enough to sort out how to make this work, it's Peyton Manning.

Maybe just me but the first pass to Tamme that got tipped should of been intercepted, the pass to Stokely was behind him, and the on e to Thomas in the endzone was overthrown.

He looked fine and comfortable out there so he's probably just shaking off rust, but he didn't look that good IMO.

Manning's mid-range passes were fluttering. The ball took noticeably longer to get to receivers 12 yds downfield than it has in the past. He missed badly on a corner route and threw the balll behind Stokley and directly into the strength of the coverage on his INT.

Now, this is the first time he's thrown against another opponent in more than a year and a half, so it may take him a while to get his sea legs under him again. The mind is still as sharp as ever in recognizing disguises in the D and making adjustments at the LOS.

But the camp reports that his arm is as strong as ever or even that he's at 80% of his prime? There was absolutely no evidence of that last night. It's still PS week 1. Let's see if he progresses.

:rofl:

Billy 5:16

You crack me up, that's all.

"The mind is sharp as ever" was especially rich. How many disguises did you see last night? How many changes did you see him making? The Bears D in pre-season is as vanilla as any in the league.

I, on the other hand, felt his mind was .17% less sharp than he was in 2010, but actually .36% sharper than his first pre-season game of 2008.

It's just funny to read the gospels according to Billy... :D

I didn't see anything that worried me as a Beoncos fan. He did what I expected... Looked a bit rusty, but kept the offense moving. The 3rd and 17 conversion to Decker was particularly telling. He was patient and comfortable. I expect he will continue to look sharper as the season progresses. What I am most interested in seeing is how he responds to getting hit. He didn't get so much as breathed on last night.

From what I saw, I thought Manning looked good. He looked confident under center, made the right reads it seemed after working through his options, and most of his throws were on the money (maybe they wobbled or weren't pretty). If you're referring to the ball he threw to Thomas in the back of the endzone in regard to missing badly, you need to watch that play again as it was a perfect throw by Manning that Thomas should've come up with. Manning is ready!

Edited by irish