[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How did Manning look?

CaptainHook

I understand this post is a couple days late but I was at the game and watched Manning perform...

He looked like the Peyton we all knew and loved (some of us at least)

He was very comfortable running the offfense, yelling out his typical audibles, and checking through his wide receivers.

The conditions were terrible - the game was delayed 30 minutes because it was pouring so of course the throws weren't going to be @ 100% power. It didn't matter anyways, he was making the right decisions and his accuracy is still perfect.

I'm excited to watch him play this year and it will be interesting to see which WR is the WR to own

Edited by awahl63

Man, oh man. Well, Orange-colored glasses wearers and Manning lovers can think what they want, but Manning's arm is a shadow of its former self. His passes are wobbling again tonight and he has no deep accuracy at all. In fairness, DT gave up on his first deep ball but Manning threw the ball well to the hashmarks side when he should have thrown to the sideline. Flynn looks much better throwing intermediate outs than Manning does. Manning has thrown 2 picks tonight - the first off a deflection that he threw right into a DL's extended arms, and just now on a deep pass over the middle that can accurately be described as a wounded duck that just floated right into the FS's waiting arms.

He looked fairly good in his third series putting the ball in good spots, but he missed badly on at least 5 passes tonight, including one way behind Stokley who made a superb catch and then got pasted as he was wide open to the DB afterwards. Manning looking a little better at the end of the half against a prevent D. Okay last edit to close this out. Manning had an easy TD dropped by Tamme at the goalline when Tamme was wide open. Manning was in the shotgun with the LOS at the 8 yl. Tamme running wide open across the goalline. Pass hit Tamme in the back shoulder pad and annoucers blaming Tamme for the drop. Tamme should have probably caught the ball but couldn't get his hands back into what was an awkward spot for him. What the announcers seem to be ignoring is that if Manning throws the ball from anywhere from 1 foot to 3 feet from where he did throw it, it would have been an easy catch and TD.

At best Manning can be described as wildly inconsistent.

You've been warned. Believe whatever else you want at your own FF peril.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Didn't see the game so can't comment on the veracity of this, but if true Elway is completely on the hook for this one.

Agreed. This is clearly Elway's signature move for better or worse. Trading down to get Wolfe, who annoucers were praising for making tackles 5 yds downfield and thereby allowing Hightower to go to NE might be another one when it's all said & done.

I'm not ready to stick a fork in him at this point. I saw the same wobbly ball. I saw the overthrown INT where he was trying to drop the pass between 3-4 defenders to his tight end but floated it. I saw a batted ball for an INT that has to be considered somewhat bad luck. Had Bryant not gotten to that ball, it looked like a completion for a possible TD. And then there's the pass to Tamme that should have been farther out front, but I'd bet Tamme tells you he should have caight it. Overall, he moved the team on some nice, sustained, long drives. He isn't his former self, but then again 75% of Peyton Manning is better than a lot of starting QBs. I think more time with his receivers can only improve the chemistry and overall performance. I'll let someone else draft him too high, but if I needed a QB in round 9 or 10 still, I'd feel ok taking him.

I noticed everything noted by BB. I had to chuckle at the local radio announcer calling the game who thought Manningt's pass to Tamme was sharp and right on the money. That throw was well behind Tamme.

I also noticed, particularly on the Broncos field goal towards the end of the first half, that their holder indicates the spot for Prater but invariably actually holds the ball 3 to 4 inchesto Prater's side of the indicated spot. Inadvertant or what?

16 out of 23 for 177 yards against a very decent Seattle secondary ain't too shabby...several INT's but several dropped passes as well.

You could do a hell of a lot worse in the NFL...

Yeah, you could, if we were talking about a guy who you are counting on to get you through to next year's draft or a younger guy you are grooming. But we're talking about a guy who arguably has been (and who I firmly believe is) the best QB in NFL history, is supposed to take DEN to the SB, and is being compensated as such. For $19M a year I expect to see someone a hell of a lot better than a guy with whom you could do a hell of a lot worse.

At best Manning can be described as wildly inconsistent.

You've been warned. Believe whatever else you want at your own FF peril.

:lol:

I see this playing out a lot like brentastic's incessant doom and gloom predictions regarding the stock market. Dow 3,000 is right around the corner!

Saw the highlights, I didn't think he looked bad at all. He made a couple really nice throws. The pick was classic Manning though . . . he threw into quadruple coverage trying to hit someone down the seam . . . I'd be willing to guess he's thrown more interceptions on that throw than any other . . . or get his receiver killed if he makes a great throw . . . or it's a TD . . . love ya Peyton!

I expected him to look 14% better last night than he did against the Bears. However, when you take into account the salary accelerator theory, he actually should be looking 27.2% better than he did. He now needs to average 214 yards and 2.3 TD's each half in order to meet my fiscal performance expectations I have for him.

The stat line looks horrible so far but if you actually watch him play, he looks good. He finally took his first hit last night and bounced back up. The preseason is never a good indication of how players will fare in the regular season. Colt McCoy and Mark Sanchez had great preseasons last year. That certainly didn't translate to the regular season for them. Manning's poor stats in the preseason will probably drop his ADP even more. I would snag him any time after the 6th or 7th round if he is still there.

Hey Tim - you are logic personified.

He is now Phil Rivers, Tony Romo, Eli, Cutler, Ryan, big Ben...even Vick and Schaub. He has helped every single fantasy footballer in the world. There is absolutely NO REASON, after Brady, Brees, and Rodgers (yes...in that order) are off the board, to panic about picking up a QB.

It's a beautiful thing.

Manning is playing the entire first half tonight. Pretty clear that DEN/Manning aren't satisfied with his performance so far this PS...

They shoulda stuck with Tebow...

Manning had an easy TD dropped by Tamme at the goalline when Tamme was wide open.

What the announcers seem to be ignoring is that if Manning throws the ball from anywhere from 1 foot to 3 feet from where he did throw it, it would have been an easy catch and TD.

I'm confused was it an easy TD that was dropped or not? I'm guessing your first statement isn't what you meant but maybe what the announcers said.

I'm confused was it an easy TD that was dropped or not? I'm guessing your first statement isn't what you meant but maybe what the announcers said.

That was a bad edit job on your part. Reading that, I wondered what the hell BB was saying and went back to find it. What you removed seems to show rather clearly what BB's opinion was. That it was less of a drop than it was thrown off target.

Mind you, I have not seen the play and am not commenting on whether that's an accurate account of what happened. Rather, that it's plainly clear to see what BB's opnion is.

That was a bad edit job on your part. Reading that, I wondered what the hell BB was saying and went back to find it. What you removed seems to show rather clearly what BB's opinion was. That it was less of a drop than it was thrown off target.

Mind you, I have not seen the play and am not commenting on whether that's an accurate account of what happened. Rather, that it's plainly clear to see what BB's opnion is.

I cut out everything else because those two statements seemed to conflict. I was having trouble understanding why BB makes the statement that it was an easy TD that was dropped, then went on to say it wasn't and explains it.

Not trying to pull a gotcha on BB.

CH Thanks. You had also said it was an easy TD and apparently saw it, as did the announcers. So when BB said it was easy TD, then later said it wasn't I was getting confused.

Edited by stevegrab

Look, Manning just got paid a boat load of money and we all know how Manning is. He probably throws 300 balls a day, then stays after practice to get use to his new route runners. Then calls Eli and his dad to see if they thought his passes had enough Zip on them. Eli of course says your good bro. His dad however, first thing out of his mouth is, "your alright son"?

Why pop? Say's Payton.

Oh nothing, Just looked like you tried to push the ball down there to the tight end, says pop.

So Payton proceeds to go outside and throw bullets for another hour.

It's preseason guys. Mannings arm is probably a wet noodle by now. Two weeks of training camp and now the second game. Manning has probably thrown more this year then he has in any year of his career and to stubborn to take it easy.

Of coarse his ball didn't have as much Zip on them. It's that time of year. A week of rest and he'll have plenty of zip.

Okay I'll try to explain. This was a midrange pass from the shotgun where Tamme was literally running uncovered across the goalline towards the sideline. For any professional QB/TE tandem that should be an easy TD.

Manning's throw literally hit Tamme in the back shoulderpad. It was within the frame of Tamme's body and shoulder high, so it should have been caught. So Tamme dropped the ball.

But Manning delivered the ball to an awkward spot for Tamme. Try getting both hands up in that area while running away from where the ball was thrown - especially wearing shoulder pads. If Manning throws to ball so it would have hit Tamme between the numbers or actually leads him a little it is a much easier catch. So Manning simultaneously made a poor throw of what should have been an easy toss for a TD, as Tamme dropped the throw he should have caught.

The events are not mutually exclusive. The announcers only blamed Tamme for dropping the ball and gave Manning no blame. Is that understandable?

Edited by Bronco Billy

Okay I'll try to explain. This was a midrange pass from the shotgun where Tamme was literally running uncovered across the goalline towards the sideline. For any professional QB/TE tandem that should be an easy TD.

Manning's throw literally hit Tamme in the back shoulderpad. It was within the frame of Tamme's body and shoulder high, so it should have been caught. So Tamme dropped the ball.

But Manning delivered the ball to an awkward spot for Tamme. Try getting both hands up in that area while running away from where the ball was thrown - especially wearing shoulder pads. If Manning throws to ball so it would have hit Tamme between the numbers or actually leads him a little it is a much easier catch. So Manning simultaneously made a poor throw of what should have been an easy toss for a TD, as Tamme dropped the throw he should have caught.

The events are not mutually exclusive. The announcers only blamed Tamme for dropping the ball and gave Manning no blame. Is that understandable?

Got it, easy TD play, easy TD catch, but not a good thow which would have made it an even easier TD catch.

Just seemed strange for you to say it was an easy TD catch, and then take issues the announcers for saying the same thing.

Look forward to more insight, particularly how Dem Thomas looked.