[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Benson to Green Bay

Big John

Granted Starks did not have a strong showing, but R.B. was not where my attention lies right now. With Bishop hurt, House hurt, and Newhouse banged up I think they have greater areas of concern.

Speaking of concern, what is up with Sherrod? Seems a long time to be out with a broken leg, unless there was unreported nerve or circulatory damage.

The Packers have signed Benson. Great move for the Pack. He'll end up being their #1 and at the very least sharing with Starks taking a secondary role. Thought?

The Packers have signed Benson. Great move for the Pack. He'll end up being their #1 and at the very least sharing with Starks taking a secondary role. Thought?

If he's still got tread on the tires, and he looked okay in Cincy last year, I would think he supplants Starks and perhaps even swipes some of Kuhn's goal line looks. Having an experienced back also allows them to bring along Alex Green at their own pace rather than throw him into the fire. First guess would give Benson 55-60% of RB production, Green 30%, with Kuhn still getting some goal line work and Starks maybe hanging around for some looks as well.

I don't believe that a couple of bad plays in th efirst preseason game portends the end of Starks in Green Bay as saome here seem to think. Is it that there is more that I hve not heard? Has he stunk it up all during cam or something and I just had not heard?

Starks has been stinkin it up in camp, and that first quarter was the last straw.

[ dynasty ]

BUY Alex Green on this news. Green wasn't going to be 100% healed this season anyways, but this opens the door for him to be the clear cut starter next year.

+1

Ced-Ben is nothing more than a stop gap. He's a washed up turd. Green has looked fast and quick in camp. When he gets healthy, he's THE guy. Maybe this year.

I personally don't believe the RB of the future is on the roster. Until I see Green do something, anything, in real action, I'm not feelin it. If you look at past ACL comebacks for RB's, the track record is not so great.

I think Ted drafts RB 2nd round next year. That's his wheelhouse.

Now it is reported that Starks has turf toe.

Benson went from crying about not being on a team, to being taken by a major superbowl contender, to being their starting RB and looking like a RB3/flex at the very least in FF circles. Amazing!

Not tremendous wear on him.

Grant, of course, would have been a logical choice under the circumstances. I wonder if the Packers tried contacting him and whether he would have welcomed such contact.

Yeah, exactly - same age, Grant has even LESS wear and for his career has been much more productive on a per-carry basis.

Who knows.

Grant, of course, would have been a logical choice under the circumstances. I wonder if the Packers tried contacting him and whether he would have welcomed such contact.

I've read that Cedric Benson could be cut at the end of camp, and Ted Thompson didn't want to do that to Grant.

Everyone needs to remember what Benson is... A guy that will get you 3.9- 4.0 YPC. Doesn't do much else... Just a plodder. Not unlike Starks. McCarthy loves Saine, especially his role as a swiss army RB, Green is a high draft pick whos working his way back, and for whatever reason they still love Starks. I think Benson making the final 53 is a longshot.

I've read that Cedric Benson could be cut at the end of camp, and Ted Thompson didn't want to do that to Grant.

Everyone needs to remember what Benson is... A guy that will get you 3.9- 4.0 YPC. Doesn't do much else... Just a plodder. Not unlike Starks. McCarthy loves Saine, especially his role as a swiss army RB, Green is a high draft pick whos working his way back, and for whatever reason they still love Starks. I think Benson making the final 53 is a longshot.

To expand on this idea, I read that Benson's contract is the veteran minimum and can be cut prior to week 1 without a cap hit.

I dunno, I think there's more to this than cut him at Week 1. Unless he comes in out of shape and sucks, which isn't what I've read so far.

I think it may be Benson as short yardage, 1st and 2nd down back. All other RB on the roster as 3rd down and package backs.

Starks is inconsistent. Saine was already a specialty swing pass back. Alex Green is still an unknown beyond some promising training camp reports, but coming back from an ACL. Marc Tyler just looked ordinary to me.