[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Annual Cowboys are gonna be good this year thread.........

Cowboyz1

So before I go full blown Homer and mix up my favorite Cowboys are gonna be contenders koolaid, I decided I'm gonna take a step back for once.

Normally you all would come in here and read a novel on who to watch out for and how many TD's Romo is gonna throw and how Dez is going to terrorize the league, while predicting wins and loses based on what this years Cowboys team looks like on paper.

I may have even called out a rival or two, proping here in august for games played in December.

Nope, not this year, I'm not gonna do it. I can't. It has taken to much out of me over the years to continue to blindley boast that the talent on this team is to good not to win. I'm just not convinced anymore that what I see on film and in practice and many times on Sunday is real anymore. I refuse to believe that just because everyone in the league thinks Mo is the best corner to come out in a decade, he will solve the secondary problems. Heck so far he can't even practice day in and day out with only about 10 practices under his belt all training camp, while missing all the OTA's and minicamps

I'm not sold on Barry Church at SS just yet. I mean it was just last year, he couldn't swing his hips all that well. Maybe that's changed? Jenkins seams to be loafing it with his rehab and had his feeling hurt because we drafted Mo, Historically one if not all the CB's get hurt in the year! So who's backing up? I don't like any of the names behind the starters.

I'm not so sure that we have a center that can snap the ball on a consistant basis, and have no Idea who is going to be the starting guards. We're two weeks into training camp and we have yet to have the starting O line play together a full practice. That worries me.

Then there's the WR's, I know they say not to worry about Austin's hammy but darn it, why not? Wasn't it just less then a year ago he missed half the season with hammy issues! So hell yeah, I'm worried.

I'm worried that Austin goes down for a few games and we have to rely on Ogletree, Holmes, Beasley, Harris or some other guy I have never seen catch a football from Romo on Sunday. In fact, only Ogletree has caught an NFL pass, and only a few at that.

I'm not so sure letting Mcbriar go to the rival Eagles was the right move. Just who in the heck is this Jones kid anyway? Three games does not a starter make. Mcbriar is a known, proven weapon who is now against us in the division.

Last but not least I worry about the darn schedule. I don't recall any team getting bent over from the start of training camp through the preaseason, and on into the regular season. We start late, have less practices then any team in the league, then have to put a practice squad together one day before having to travel to NY to take on the frigen Gmen on a Wed. Oh and if that isn't enough, they play 3 home games the first 11 weeks fo the season! However, I have decided to make lemonade out of the schedule lemons because the team should be hardened by such a schedule and the last half home games could help turn around the stretch collapses.

Assuming you've even read this far, right now your saying to yourself, this can't be Cowboyz1. There is no way he would temper his expectations for his all mighty Cowboys. And if it is him, he's either on medication or had an complete mental breakdown or both.

Well, your half right. The past few year has taken it's toll. I could take the early errors by Romo against the Jets last year. I could take the loss to the Lions as I thought the Defense was equally guilty. I could even take the last second loss the Patriots and the Arizona last second loss. I even found a way to get passed the nightly sweats and twitching that would occur as the visons of the pass to Austin sailing just out of reach against the Giants, spliced in with the drop by Crayton against the same Giants a few year earlier. Don't get me wrong, I was pissed to the Highest pisstivity levels over all of it. But you wanna know what pegged the Pisstivity meter and put me into a Scarface rage moment?

It' wasn't watching Murray go down with a broken leg killing all three of my fantasy teams and the Cowboys running game. No it wasn't watching FB's jump over Newman for first downs, followed by Cruz catching a 5 yard crossing pattern and outrunning Newman and the entire secondary for 80 yards. It wasn't even watching Eli throw rainbows down field and were never even close to being deflected.

Now, all of the aforementioned episodes had a share in burning Cowboyz1 homer heaven down to the ground yes, but the one thing the just chapped my ass beyond repair and caused this, shall I say, paradigm shift in Cowboyz1 homerism is this.

Having to watch the top 4 kickoff returns of the 2011 season 1,900,589 times on NFL network! Because on the 1,900,590th time I just snapped. Not sure if the was the "Ted Ginn down the sideline" call, or the WOW at the end of the last return. I just snapped. I could not believe I had to endure that many repays of the same motha fing...........plays day in and day out. I actually day dreamed of a plan to kidnap the producer of the NFL network, tie him up in a room with a 60" flat screen, sow his eyelids open and pipe the same frigin kickoff returns for a month straight then clean him up and let him go. (Kidding of course) Seriously, it got so bad that I started pulling for the Seattle Corner back to catch him and started cursing at the kicker to get the hell out of the way. I even started seeing Ford's foot step on the line out of bounds and convinced myself that the coach should have thrown the red flag and stopped all this nonsense. Once or maybe even twice I saw Hester get blasted coming through the hole at full speed by Rudy. I know............I know........CRAZY.

Then it hit me. My Cowboys have been doing the exact same thing to me since 1995. Year after year after year after year, we sign some guys, have high expectations, look good early and then wammo. The season ends abruptly and I find my self saying WOW.

Wow how the hell did we only score 3 points. Wow, how the hell did you miss that. Wow, how do you hold in that situation. Wow, how do you let Romo get sacked 10 times. Wow, how do you let fat boy go for 70+. Wow how in the hell can Eli throw hail marys off his back foot all game long and not get picked or WOW Newman that was a FB that jumped over you for not one, but two first downs.

So this year I'm taking a different approach. I still think the Cowboys are capable of big things. I still believe Romo is an elite QB. I still believe that Murray is the next star RB. I even believe that RR defense will be improved this year AND our new corners are going to make a huge difference. I believe Lee and Carter are going to be very good. I believe Dez is going to be very tough to cover. I even believe that Spencer may just have more sacks this year. And the Defensive line has the potential to be special.

I just don't believe I will believe the talent on this team can put it on the field until I see it show up in the win column more often.

Disclaimer: All rights reserved to resum blind homerism at any point in the future.

Edited by Cowboyz1

Claiborne not being able to practice is what kills me, as a Cowboys homer.

I am a big Sean Lee fan and I think by adding what LBs we did improves us at the position.

I think the O-Line will be above average.

I like that we now have an offensive co-ordinator.

I want to see Felix returning kickoffs and am a little squirmish about Dez returning punts.

Dude, Romo is NOT the problem. Has never been the problem. In fact, watch what happens if Murray stays healthy.

He may not be the problem, but, he hasn't been the solution either. ELITE QB's are the solution, and get it done when it matters most.

P.S. Unfortunately, some of them are drama queen, a-holes.

Dude, Romo is NOT the problem. Has never been the problem.

Romo is a team's worst nightmare - a QB that is pretty studly during the regular season, but doesn't get it done in the playoffs. Its tough to cut bait under those circumstances.

tough to cut bait with a defense that gives up 30 a game too

DING DING DING.........That is right on. If our D was able to hold teams to 20 points or less this team would be in a whole different place. Romo has done all he can do to put points on the board but the D just gives up more which puts a hell of a lot of pressure on the O to do too much.

Romo statistically is in the top 5 in league. If he had help on D this team would be going places. 10 picks and 31 TD's with only 5 rushing TD's tells the story. Murray staying healthy and the O line holding up will make this season special. Say what you want about Romo but he is playing at a very high level. Glad we have him.

I'm a Cowboys fan and I'm pretty close to all out throwing Romo under the bus. Do the Boyz need to step up elsewhere? Yep. But we've all seen Romo, single-handedly, give games away all by himself.

As usual I'm hopeful but I'm no longer optimistic.

I've said this fairly recently... show me...

Jerry Jones is the problem. He happened to be there when Mike Lynn went crazy and gifted the Cowboys several championships. He believes those championships are evidence of his genius rather than proof of Mike Lynn's insanity. Nothing will convince him otherwise. His meddling will continue to be their downfall. IMO.

Jerry Jones is the problem. He happened to be there when Mike Lynn went crazy and gifted the Cowboys several championships. He believes those championships are evidence of his genius rather than proof of Mike Lynn's insanity. Nothing will convince him otherwise. His meddling will continue to be their downfall. IMO.

This! Jerry Jones is the main reason the Cowboys are awful. He deserves so much blame, that there isn't anything left to go around. He is an egomaniac who is completely in charge and knows very little about football. It is just not a healty combo, and there is no chance in hell the Cowboys will ever improve as long as that old fart is the owner/president/GM.

Blaming Tony Romo when Jerry Jones is around is just :wacko:

Look, they said the same thing about Payton Manning, they said the same thing about John Elway, and they said the same thing about Steve Young and the same thing about Brett Farve. All were chokers in the big games until they won it all then they were all time, big time, Hall of Famers. So fact is, Romo's stats are as good and in some cases better then all the above, but until he wins the big one there is no validation for his accomplishments. Especially playing in big D. He knows it and I know it. Just the way is is.

Personally, I am thankfull we have Romo especially after what we have endured prior to him for the past decade. Need I remind you all of Henson, Hutchison, Carter, Bledsoe, Brunell and so many other poor excuses for QB's who don't even blip on the scale of Romo's numbers. I mean the guy is sick when it comes to TD to INT ratio especially in the 4th quarter. Leads ALL current QB's in the 4th quarter. Yards per game, TD's per year, Completion percentage, deep ball accuracy, you name it Romo can do it and WELL. Yes he has his bonehead moments but there because he wants to win and feels he has to do it all himself because the running game is nonexistant 5 rushing TDs last year, the defense gives up 30 points per game so who the hell else is going to win it for them.

I give the guy all the credit in the world. I agree with him, at some point the Cowboys are going to win big, where that point is I don't know but Romo will be the one who gets them there when he gets a little help from his friends. Then all the Romo haters will have to move on and hail to the mans records............

I cant believe everyone missed it. Everyone not a single comment.........I tell you why and explain what happened and not a single one of you read far enough to get my pain..............One of my best novels with a goody in the middle for those who endure and read on.........I bet most of you never got past the second or third paragraph. Not a single one of you feel my pain here..............Shakin my head. just shakin my head..............OK I can't beleive I have to do this but fine, I BOLDED what most all of you missed. The reason why.

What you bolded is still to long to read ;) (JK, I read the whole thing initially)

As far as Romo and those other guys, well first off I hope you're ot comparing Romo to Payton, Favre, Young, & Elway. Second, many people still think Marino wasn't that great because he didn't win a SB (which of course is silly, and Romo ain't no Marino either).And many know that guys like Dilfer were nothing special, yet have a SB ring. (Heck I don't think Aikman was that good, but benefited from Emmit, Michael, the OL and a good D.)

I think Romo may take a lot of extra heat, because he is a Cowboy, because his fans and supporters are Cowboy fans, and people just don't like the Cowboys (outside of their large fanbase).

Look, they said the same thing about Payton Manning, they said the same thing about John Elway, and they said the same thing about Steve Young and the same thing about Brett Farve. All were chokers in the big games until they won it all then they were all time, big time, Hall of Famers. So fact is, Romo's stats are as good and in some cases better then all the above, but until he wins the big one there is no validation for his accomplishments. Especially playing in big D. He knows it and I know it. Just the way is is.

Personally, I am thankfull we have Romo especially after what we have endured prior to him for the past decade. Need I remind you all of Henson, Hutchison, Carter, Bledsoe, Brunell and so many other poor excuses for QB's who don't even blip on the scale of Romo's numbers. I mean the guy is sick when it comes to TD to INT ratio especially in the 4th quarter. Leads ALL current QB's in the 4th quarter. Yards per game, TD's per year, Completion percentage, deep ball accuracy, you name it Romo can do it and WELL. Yes he has his bonehead moments but there because he wants to win and feels he has to do it all himself because the running game is nonexistant 5 rushing TDs last year, the defense gives up 30 points per game so who the hell else is going to win it for them.

I give the guy all the credit in the world. I agree with him, at some point the Cowboys are going to win big, where that point is I don't know but Romo will be the one who gets them there when he gets a little help from his friends. Then all the Romo haters will have to move on and hail to the mans records............

Slip. I call Romo Slip.

The main problem is definitely Jerry Jones, but even with that the talent on the team underproduces. Romo has clearly fallen off the learning curve that Parcells established for him - Romo is now who we thought he was. I hope he proves me wrong, but he's never taking Dallas to the promise land, IMO.

Also agree that the defense laid a major egg last year. Which one is the larger problem, hard to say, but this team has just enough dysfunction to perennially disappoint.