[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stewart contract (For Taz)

Big John

So now both JStew & DWill have long term (and presumably high $$) contracts. Do the Panthers continue paying starter money to two RB, when their QB is doing so much running as well? Seems unlikely...

From the linked article

"Although there were rumors in the offseason that the Panthers were looking to trade Stewart, general manager Marty Hurney was adamant that those reports weren't true -- it actually seems more likely that Williams would be the first of the running backs to depart, especially since his guaranteed money only lasts through the 2012 season."

I've got to think either CAR doesn't have any interest in treading either guy, or their contracts are not suitable for a trade. Ever since they signed DWill people have been expecting them to trade on, then they sign Tolbert after Cam has a huge year including lots of rushing stats.

Now this JStew extension, and they just want to continue with both guys in the future.

They could cut DWill after this year without many financial implications. Dunno if they will, but it's an option.

Could be, but the whole situation just seems crazy. Paying two guys large $$, when neither is being used very much. When there are probably a bunch of teams that would be willing to give you something valuable for one of them. This isn't just the usual "we need two good backs" stuff, its beyond that.

Oh well, I traded for DWill at the end of 2010 and he was a keeper (5 man) going into 2011 hoping something would work out (my other RB sucked). I will not be keeping him this year, and probably won't touch either of them unless they are split up.

They could cut DWill after this year without many financial implications. Dunno if they will, but it's an option.

I thought I read that they'd take like a $5 million cap hit if they let him go, and that may be for longer than just next year if it's one of those bonuses that gets split up for the life of the contract.

I know Stewart is still young, but man is "next year" sure taking a long time!