[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts at Steelers!

CaptainHook

He was right. If a QB slides head-first he's not down until first contact and fair game to be hit, but if he slides feet first he is down at the spot of the ball when he contacts the ground.

He's not allowed to be hit in that situation then. That didn't happen either.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why it didn't apply. He wasn't giving himself up. He was trying to not go head first into a linebacker. I'm sure there is some rule that applies around the goal line in that situation. Or it could be another botched call by replacement officials. Like that horrible spot on the TD being overturned. Either way, it counts!

Edited by CaptainHook

Rule 7

Section 2

Article 1: Dead Ball Declared. An official shall declare the ball dead and the down ended:

(a) when a runner is contacted by a defensive player and touches the ground with any part of his body

other than his hands or feet. The ball is dead the instant the runner touches the ground. A runner

touching the ground with his hands or feet while in the grasp of an opponent may continue to

advance; or

(B) when a runner is held or otherwise restrained so that his forward progress ends; or

© when a quarterback immediately drops to his knee (or simulates dropping to his knee) behind the line

of scrimmage; or

(d) when a runner declares himself down by sliding feet first on the ground. The ball is dead the instant

the runner touches the ground with anything other than his hands or his feet; or

Note: Defenders are required to treat a sliding runner as they would a runner who is down by contact.

(A defender must pull up when a runner begins a feet-first slide. This does not mean that all contact by

a defender is illegal. If a defender has already committed himself, and the contact is unavoidable, it is

not a foul unless the defender commits some other act, such as helmet-to-helmet contact or by

driving his forearm or shoulder into the head or neck area of the runner.

(2) A runner who desires to take advantage of this protection is responsible for starting his slide before

contact by a defensive player is imminent; if he does not, and waits until the last moment to begin his

slide, he puts himself in jeopardy of being contacted.1)

According to the NFL rulebook, a quarterback (or any ball carrier) can slide feet first to prevent a hit. When they do so, the ball will be considered dead when the player hits the ground.

That solves it right there. It's not where he starts his slide. It's where he hits the ground. He was clearly in the enzdone when that happened.

Edited by CaptainHook

According to the NFL rulebook, a quarterback (or any ball carrier) can slide feet first to prevent a hit. When they do so, the ball will be considered dead when the player hits the ground.

Which is what Collinsworth was saying. He thought the ball wasn't yet across the goal line when the knee hit and it shouldn't have been a TD. I don't necessarily agree with that part, but his comment on the rule was accurate.

No, his comment was that he is down where he begins his slide. That is not the rule. And his knee was not down before the ball broke the plane.

That way the way the rule orignally said, but was changed to stop the play where the slide begins, as he is giving himself up there.

That way the way the rule orignally said, but was changed to stop the play where the slide begins, as he is giving himself up there.

That's not what the rule book currently says, if what flemingd just posted is accurate. Not mention of anything about "starting the slide".

Edited by CaptainHook

yeah honestly it sucks, wonder if BJ can hook me up with some #'s for page views, posts/thread this year compared to previous years or just august data

I don't have hard numbers, but traffic was down this year.

Wait, Greg Lloyd has a son playing in the NFL, and the Steelers didn't acquire him. :rant:

E.T.A. Just looked him up and realized that this is the son that Greg Sr. allegedly put a gun in his mouth to "punish" him for bad grades. He hasn't spoken to his dad in 10 years. Lloyd was one of my favorite players to watch on the field, but, it sounds like he was a complete loser off of it. :(

Edited by Menudo

No, his comment was that he is down where he begins his slide. That is not the rule. And his knee was not down before the ball broke the plane.

He was referring to starting the slide by the knee touching the ground. That's very apparent by the freeze-framing over and over when the knee touched. And no, it wasn't "clear" either way. It was very bang-bang, and honestly I'm surprised he harped on it like he did. It was way too close to make that big a deal over. He was salty over how badly the refs blew the previous call - that spot was ignorant, moving it all the way back to the one because that's where the runner's knee was. Worst case it should have been on about the 6 inch spot, and it probably shouldn't even have been overturned. No clue how that was "conclusive" that he didn't get in.

No, he said it's where you "begin the slide". Then he said "and the knee might have been down too!". He was referring to two different things. Over and over he said it was where the QB begins his slide, which he clearly began before the goal line.

I just went back and watched it again. It does appear that Luck's knee may have been down before the ball broke the plane (barely) but he was not touched until the ball was clearly across the goal line. I am interested to see if there is a rule about the slide at the goal line. I've never seen that happen before. Play calling put Luck in a bad spot having to choose what to do there. You don't want your prize rookie going head first into two guys.

Edited by CaptainHook

Yeah, I've always remembered there being a lot more activity on this forum in August....weird year I guess?

I dunno . . . kinda worried about it actually . . . it's been dead in here.

I guess I'm not the only one to notice how deserted it has been here in comparison to off-seasons gone by. I've been here for a good while now and it seems like there has been a real drop off in activity on this forum since the end of last season, or maybe even before that? I definitely miss some of the old-timers; there were some real knowledgable and entertaining members who you just don't hear from anymore.

Luck sucks... That is all.

He doesn't look like he's getting much speed on the ball. He'll be picked often if he doesn't start gunning it more.

My 1st cousins kid is Griff Whalen, Lucks roommate in college and an undrafted free agent pick up. He was dinged up for the first preseason game but got in last night and caught a handful of balls for 50(some) yards and TD. Not sure what the odds of him making the team are but pretty cool that he caught a TD pass in the NFL, preseason or not. More than I can say.