[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Players Who Could Have Been Hall of Famers if......

Footballjoe

Sterling Sharpe.

I came in this thread to say this.

I think there's an argument that he could go into the HoF even WITH the truncated career.

Bo Jackson...yes

Sterling Sharpe...yes

Terell Davis....yes

Remember Robert Edwards, the running back for the Patriots in the late 90s? He tore his knee up playing sand flag football at the Pro Bowl and was never the same. I think he was rookie of the year that year. Perhaps would have been the starting rb on at least three Patriot super bowl teams.

Kurt Warner? The QB in ARI, NYG and STL? The league MVP and SB MVP? That guy? He'll get in, probably easily.

I dunno. He had a few good years, but when he's up for vote people will be looking at what Brady/Rodgers/Manning/Brees are/have been doing for the last 5/10/15 years or so, and Warner just doesn't hold up to that. He had an absurd three year stretch in STL, then 5 forgettable seasons in which he only played a combined 35 games, then another solid three year stretch with a nice cherry in the middle of it. I don't see 6 seasons getting him in. I think he's a great candidate for this thread because, just like Sharpe, he's worthy of discussion despite such a short full-time window.

Sterling Sharpe and Bo Jackson are the no-brainers of the thread, with Terrell Davis honorable mention.

I dunno. He had a few good years, but when he's up for vote people will be looking at what Brady/Rodgers/Manning/Brees are/have been doing for the last 5/10/15 years or so, and Warner just doesn't hold up to that. He had an absurd three year stretch in STL, then 5 forgettable seasons in which he only played a combined 35 games, then another solid three year stretch with a nice cherry in the middle of it. I don't see 6 seasons getting him in. I think he's a great candidate for this thread because, just like Sharpe, he's worthy of discussion despite such a short full-time window.

This has been discussed as nauseum - I DON'T judge HoF credentials the way that many others do, but let's put it this way - based on CURRENT HoF QBs, any QB who has started 3 SBs and/or has 2 MVPs is in. Those are the criteria I DON'T agree with, but they are in his favor.

Statistically (my wheelhouse), even though the shape of his career is odd (I call it a donut, because there's a big hole in the middle), his career #s are in no way deficient - he's right around Steve Young territory, and was probably not quite as dominant for the same length of time, it's just that his 6 yr window of excellence at the front of his career, and 3 yrs at the back, as opposed to the normal "1 or 2 yrs of struggling, 7 yrs of being great, 3 yrs of mediocrity-to-outright-suckage" that most career paths follow. Especially when you consider that the Rams were a trainwreck before and after he was there, and the Cards were a trainwreck before, and no better than mediocre immediately after (in other words, he appeared to be able to elevate the play of his teams), I don't see how he DOESN'T get in.

John Brockington

I thought Brockington's career went down the toilet less because of "injury" and more because of "coaching staff/entire organization had its collective head up its ass"

Curt Warner

I dunno, looking at his stats at PFR (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WarnCu00.htm), obviously he lost an entire year in '84 and some yardage due to recovery in '85 (call it 2000 yds, based on his '83 and '86 production), it still only puts him at ~9000 career yds (just over, giving him credit for the yds he lost out in during the 87 strike, as well).

Post-injury, he DID start 75 of the next 76 non-strike games, and his decline (at age 28, after about 1500 touches) came maybe a smidge early, but nothing eye-popping.

You probably know some stuff I don't (that I'd love to hear), but from the outside, yeah Warner had some sh*t luck, but even with a fully healthy career, he's probably a "Hall of Very Good"-type player.

I thought Brockington's career went down the toilet less because of "injury" and more because of "coaching staff/entire organization had its collective head up its ass"

After doing something that had never been done before, rushing for 1000 yards in each of his first three seasons (reasons were shorter then and 1000 yards actually was rare and meant something, he hurt his knee. Back in the day they could not scope you. a simple meniscus clean up that is done outpatient now with a scope required an 8 inch incision in those days and ACL's and MCL's were more or less not operated on. Brockington had an injury, it was not addressed surgically, he just played with it and his yard per carry average dropped something like one and a half yards per carry. But for three years, well you would have rather had Brockington than any back in the league, unless you were Miami who pretended Csonka was his equal.

At 6'1 inch and around 225 he was Adrian Peterson 2 decades before Adrian Peterson was born, and that was the problem, medical science was not then what it is now.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=john+brockington&mid=D5F30A9322D9C6E6B400D5F30A9322D9C6E6B400&view=detail&FORM=VIRE1