[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Peyton Manning a top 7 QB?

timFFBA

Peyton Manning will throw for 4000+ yards and 29 TDs

I see the top 10 QBs playing out like this:

1. Aaron Rodgers

2. Tom Brady

3. Drew Brees

4. Matthew Stafford

5. Matt Ryan

6. Cam Newton

7. Peyton Manning

8. Eli Manning

9. Mick Vick

10. Ben Roethlisberger

What are your thoughts?

Absolutely no good reason why you should have little brother ranked behind him and I'd also take Romo and River before him as well. For that matter, I'd take Big Ben as well.

It is a virtual certainty that someone will take Payton before I'm prepared to.

I'd take anybody with upside and minimal risk over Manning with all the risk he has. That encompasses a lot of players, more than 10 even. Even if he does last the whole season I'm sure you can expect him to be on a "pitch count" early on until he demonstrates that he's legitimately 100%, unlike earlier in his career. From 1 hour ago: Denver Broncos QB Peyton Manning has struggled throwing to his right since his return from a serious neck injury. After two preseason games, Manning has problems when his passes are more than 10 yards.

I'd take anybody with upside and minimal risk over Manning with all the risk he has. That encompasses a lot of players, more than 10 even. Even if he does last the whole season I'm sure you can expect him to be on a "pitch count" early on until he demonstrates that he's legitimately 100%, unlike earlier in his career. From 1 hour ago: Denver Broncos QB Peyton Manning has struggled throwing to his right since his return from a serious neck injury. After two preseason games, Manning has problems when his passes are more than 10 yards.

You're nuts. I have been absolutely assured by numerous experts that Manning is playing as well as he ever has, maybe better.

BTW - that is outstanding use of shading. I didn't even know that could be done here

Edited by Bronco Billy

What seems to be forgotten in all of this talk about "risk" is that Manning will be throwing to 3 guys named Larry. Jacob f'n Tamme is his best receiving option.

He won't be top 7 and his health is only part of the reason.

What seems to be forgotten in all of this talk about "risk" is that Manning will be throwing to 3 guys named Larry. Jacob f'n Tamme is his best receiving option.

??? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't surprise anyone if both Decker and Thomas finished as top 25 WR this year.

• Like 1

I just reviewed the 10-team SOFA/Expert draft pinned above, and Manning was drafted as the 13TH QB at 11.03. So, not only do I agree with all the nay-sayers above. It looks like the "experts" agree as well.

Yep, right where I have him too - 13th. The upside just isn't there that exists with the QBs ranked ahead of him in terms of fantasy. And Im a broncos fan...

I rank him as a top backup QB. I'd love to have him as long as I have someone in front of him that I can actually count on. So in a 12 team league I'd put him around 13 assuming no one is hogging QBs during the draft.

Or maybe go for the real gamble with the Vick/Manning duo praying each week that at least one of them is healthy.

Now that I typed it out, that sounds very frustrating and dumb.

I don't see it happening. And he should not be drafted hoping that will happen. Top 10-12 maybe. Whoever drafts him better have a reliable and consistent backup QB.

As far as Thomas & Decker finishing top 25 in WR scoring, maybe not both but one of them. Wouldn't surprise me one bit. I'm hoping it is Thomas, although Decker may be the better bet especially in PPR. I'm hoping Thomas, who will be my WR3 (behind Calvin & Fitz).

I don't think them both finishing in the top 25 is a huge stretch. I mean, there's not much to throw to other than them and the TEs. That being said, I think Decker is easily the better bet over Thomas. I have Decker 15th in PPR, 18th in non. Have Thomas around 30th regardless of format.

I don't think them both finishing in the top 25 is a huge stretch. I mean, there's not much to throw to other than them and the TEs. That being said, I think Decker is easily the better bet over Thomas. I have Decker 15th in PPR, 18th in non. Have Thomas around 30th regardless of format.

Sure, but that puts them in league with a bunch of other teams. Two in the top 25 means that you need to have two WRs finish higher than 7 team's WR1 and that's assuming that you're the only one with two guys who can do that.

Starting from the top, you've already got GB, ATL, NYG who are virtual locks to do this. So, there's 6 of those 25 spots taken. Then you've got Pitt and Philly who both have two candidates and we're up to 10. Now add in all the stud/very solid WRs who may not have a running mate, but are going to eat up still more spots, CJ, AJ, Fitz, S Smith, Welker, B Marshall, A Johnson, Colston, Harvin, Dez Bryant, V Jax, Bowe...Colston? Wayne? Lloyd? Steve Johnson? So, basically, not just one, but both of those guys need to break into that group.

And if Manning gets hurt for any significant amount of time - which is now a very real possibility when earlier in his career he was a weekly lock through week 16 - DT and Decker's numbers take a massive nosedive. There's almost literally nothing behind Manning.

You mean the Brock Osweiler experiment isn't off to s great start? Gag. Yeah, they couldn't have done a worse job backing up Peyton if they tried. So yeah, if he gets hurt they are screwed. But that's not unlike most WRs. Any QB can get hurt at any time, though admittedly Peyton is higher risk.

Detlef pretty much nailed the top 25. But what's the 25th guy going to have...1000 with 6/7 TDs? That's certainly not out of the realm of possibility, and I think Decker is a lock for it.

But what's the 25th guy going to have...1000 with 6/7 TDs? That's certainly not out of the realm of possibility, and I think Decker is a lock for it.

Fair enough, it is certainly very reasonable to expect that both Decker and Thomas end up with some version of the 950 and 5 TDs that the #25 WR, Lloyd, had last year. So, sure, why not.

Of course, this topic is really about Manning and, if you're correct that it's those two and little else, we've only accounted for about 2000 yards and 10 TDs if they both sneak into the top 25. Payton's going to need to find another 2000 yards and 15 TDs just to break the top 10.