[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Replacement Officials

Scooby's Hubby

I am having a hard time with the replacement refs. Without going over all the obvious mistakes they have made, I really wish we would get the original refs back. I am concerned with the lack of experience when it comes to holding calls and pass interference calls, not to mention flow of the game and getting the right calls made. It is obvious the NFL & replacements are lost and clueless as to how much fans appreciate a well referreed game.

Note: I could not find the original thread in my search

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

What kind of dollars are they talking about? It would seem like the equivalent of what they pay players who will never see the field to make sure the games aren't a total joke.

The refs played a media game and announced a breakout of their offer that came out to $6k per team per game. The NFL wants the money to be static, but add 3 new crews to rotate in, which is same pay per game but each crew would have "bye weeks" and thus lose overall income. It's assinine that the NFL is even playing this game. Who cares if it's 50k per team per game, it's peanuts compared to the damage it will do. It's already all anyone talks about, and this is just preseason. Imagine what happens when they butcher something that matters, it costs a popular team like the Saints a win, and they miss the playoffs by that resulting one game?

There's no way they will damage their product like that.

found a source

Then, to finish its statement, the NFLRA crunched some numbers.

The real question is why has the NFL maintained its 'take it or leave it' stand and refused to change its position on the core economic issues during past ten (10) months of negotiations? It certainly is not because they can't afford it. NFL revenues increased from $6.5 billion to $9.3 billion during the last contract period and are expected to increase in the near term to $12 to $14 billion.

The difference in aggregate compensation requested by the NFLRA and offered by the NFL are insignificant compared to NFL revenues. In the 2012 season the difference is about $2.2 million and over the five (5) year term proposed by the NFLRA about $16.5 million in total. That breaks down to $500,000 per team over five (5) years or $100,000 per team per year. This means the compensation issue could be resolved for $6,000 per game for each team! Why would the NFL jeopardize the health and safety of it players and the integrity of the game for such a modest amount?

Alright, just a side note, but the whole "health and safety" deal is a bit overplayed. What contributions are the current officals making to that?

Now, they do need to fix it and, for $6K per team, per game seems like a small sum to protect a cash cow like the NFL. But I do get annoyed at the "health and safety" card.

There have certainly been ridiculous calls, but I think the instance that made me chuckle the most was when the replacement ref tried to give a call to the TV audience and did so with his back to the camera.

:rofl:

They need to get the refs back.

I saw a stat that NFL referees make $135,000 to $185,000 annually. This is to work part-time refereeing a game. This seems like more than adequate compensation to me. Teachers would be happy making 30% of that.

Get back to work zebras!

I saw a stat that NFL referees make $135,000 to $185,000 annually. This is to work part-time refereeing a game. This seems like more than adequate compensation to me. Teachers would be happy making 30% of that.

Get back to work zebras!

Where did your stats come from? A quick search turned up

this says 25-70K

this says 42-120K

most other sources I found in my search were in that range, the 120K top limit from the one source above was not seen elsewhere

I want them back to work too, but it sounds like the NFL is being stubborn on a serious issue over a very small amount of money ($6000 more per team per game) based on other posts here.

Get back to work zebras!

Not to hijack, but teachers do make 30% of that on average.

I stand corrected.

I got my numbers from a radio show. If refs only make $25-70K, they need to hold out. Make them full time and pay them in line with other sports.

Why is the NFL digging their heels in on this? This is peanuts to the NFL owners.

Why is there no outrage over the "scab" refs like there was when players were on strike?

The NFL should be embarrassed.....

Can't find anything online - although I didn't do an extensive search.

Yesterday on my lunch break I was out driving around and was listening to ESPN radio. They were saying that there's rumors out there that while these NFL officials are SO bad, they're talking about implementing 2 man crews. 1 official on the field, and then another up in the booth just glued to the TV and will radio down to the on-field official to call a penalty for XXX reason on XXX player.

I stand corrected.

I got my numbers from a radio show. If refs only make $25-70K, they need to hold out. Make them full time and pay them in line with other sports.

Why is the NFL digging their heels in on this? This is peanuts to the NFL owners.

Why is there no outrage over the "scab" refs like there was when players were on strike?

The NFL should be embarrassed.....

Many of these guys have lucrative regular jobs or wouldn't want to give up the work. (There was another thread recently talking about the officials where I posted some info on what some of them do for a living.) So going full time is not going to happen. And why have full time officials to work 1 game a week for maybe 25 weeks?

Many of these guys have lucrative regular jobs or wouldn't want to give up the work. (There was another thread recently talking about the officials where I posted some info on what some of them do for a living.) So going full time is not going to happen. And why have full time officials to work 1 game a week for maybe 25 weeks?

I think I heard that Hochuli is a lawyer, so no way he gives that gig up to ref full time unless they start paying refs big money.

Can't find anything online - although I didn't do an extensive search.

Yesterday on my lunch break I was out driving around and was listening to ESPN radio. They were saying that there's rumors out there that while these NFL officials are SO bad, they're talking about implementing 2 man crews. 1 official on the field, and then another up in the booth just glued to the TV and will radio down to the on-field official to call a penalty for XXX reason on XXX player.

I saw that rumor on PFT. Then they retracted it.

That would be a disaster, as a lot of judgment calls are better seen on the field and how would bhey break up skirmishes and fumble piles, for instances.

This last week was embarrassingly bad. For all of the money that the NFL spends on promoting this sport, I'm surprised that they don't realize that this situation will absolutely affect the quality of their product each week. Really hope they can come to a resolution with the professional Refs soon.

Unfortunately it will take a blundered call during the Giants/Cowboys game (or something like that) and a national media catastophe to raise the stakes to get it done. I hope my team is not on the recieving end of that bad call. i'm talking about a phantom PI call in the end zone or something that changes the outcome and can't be reversed.

On a side note: Does anyone know whether the head refs are going to go under the hood for coaches challenges?...Why can't they just use the booth officials that are reviewing all of the regular TD and turnover plays? This one thing has driven me nuts with instant replay. Having the head ref walk over to a freaking TV on the sidelines doesn't make any sense

My referee fantasy draft is scheduled for this weekend and I have no idea what to do.

Should I keep Ed Hochuli?

Yes, but get Bill Leavy as a handcuff.

It's the missed pass intereference calls that is really making me upset. I am scared that these guys are going to effect fantasy points.

I'm far more worried about the overall integrity of the game than how it affects fantasy points. If there are a lot of blown calls there are going to be game outcomes that change because of them.

Was watching the Browns-Eagles pre-season game yesterday, one play the announcer (Bernie Kosar) says "that is going to be illegal procedure on the Browns." Official calls Eagles offside, next play a phantom holding call and Bernie says "There's the make up holding calling [because of the bad call on prior play]." Pretty if his observations are true.

+1, Really. They are like grumpy old men who cannot get along with anyone.

This. I don't understand all the brinksmanship, which happens with every NFL contract/collective bargaining negotiation. Sure, this happens in other industries but not to this extent IMO.