[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do you let bye weeks affect your drafting?

lkirc

I am drafting 12th and, in mocks, seem to keep grabbing Jamal Charles and Reggie Bush as my first two backs. They have the same bye week.

I could adjust to take Sproles instead of Charles, but the knee tweak makes me a little nervous about Sproles usage this year.

Am I overreacting to bye week issues or do you take them into account?

I certainly don't let it alter my choice early on. If it's towards the end and I'm grabbing guys who, statistically speaking, have as much chance of being waiver fodder as they do of being on my team by week 8, I might.

I watched the Rams-Chiefs replay last night and Charles and SJax both looked strong. I was almost locked in on Sproles, but the eye test is leaning me toward Charles. He looks like he did a couple years ago.

I am not looking for player advice. Jusy making an observation. thanks for the bye week advice.

Being able to watch all these pre-season games sure does change things. I know not to put too much credence in pre-season stats, but being able to see how players you are considering look certainly helps.

I certainly don't let it alter my choice early on. If it's towards the end and I'm grabbing guys who, statistically speaking, have as much chance of being waiver fodder as they do of being on my team by week 8, I might.

This - the only place I really pay attention is at QB and especially in larger leagues (16 teams) where your rosters may be short and if it was close to a coin flip going to a different bye week might help

Same as others here, mostly no. While drafting I'm filling out a roster sheet with position, player name, team and bye week. When I'm picking backups (TE, QB, even K/D if I draft one) I try to make sure they don't have the same bye week. But for my starters, I usually don't care. I may end up with 2 RB or WR on bye at the same time, and just have to go deeper into my bench. But I also know that every other week I'm solid with my starters.

Last year I made a trade and then realized the QB I got back in exchange had the same bye week as my starter. That was a case when I didn't pay enough attention to byes.

I take bye weeks into account when drafting QB's and TEs. There are enough RB's and WR's that bye weeks aren't much of a factor. I'll draft one defense and one kicker and go to the waiver wire for bye week replacements.

Edited by Chargerz

No. In fact, I kinda like it when half my team is on a bye at once - I punt that game but it almost always means that I'll be stronger, in a relative sense, when everyone else has one or two byes per week. I'd rather have an advantage for 4-5 weeks and punt 1 week than play on the same field (theoretically, of course) at all times.

No. In fact, I kinda like it when half my team is on a bye at once - I punt that game but it almost always means that I'll be stronger, in a relative sense, when everyone else has one or two byes per week. I'd rather have an advantage for 4-5 weeks and punt 1 week than play on the same field (theoretically, of course) at all times.

so, are you inserting players with byes or picking up players to fill them in?

Am I overreacting to bye week issues or do you take them into account?

i don't even look at bye weeks unless it's a second D. So many things change, and if the stars aligned and you were screwed one week, it's prolly the week you go up against the high score of the week.

Edited by Thews40

I used to but found it only hindered my decision making negatively. I found even if I had a lot of players on the same week it worked out better because it was all over in one or two weeks. I found missing a player here and there was worse because it broke up my lineup rythmn. Now I don't care at all. If I like the player I pick em. only exception is back up QB.

so, are you inserting players with byes or picking up players to fill them in?

If I have roster space to spare, I'll try to pick guys up to slot them in. If I don't have enough droppable players, I don't sweat it. That said, I'm pretty much always able to scrape a team together.

I have used this as well and it has worked, inserting scrubs for one week. I had one player one year accuse me of intentionally tanking that game to help my opponent who is a good friend. I could see his point, but it wasn't intentionally planned for that week as we didn't generate the schedule until after the draft (randomly generated by at least three witnesses). The question does pose an interesting question as to if you are using a strategy that may help you, but also "gives" a game to a random other player. In you tanking that game, it may help that team win a playoff spot.

Because of this, I always tried after that to draft a team that would give me the best chance to win every week. I think this is the most fair thing you can do for your league and ALL the players in it.

I'll say this. I'm paying attention to it for the first time ever. In the Huddle "best ball" league draft and, since it's a draft only league, I won't be able to make waiver moves to cover bye issues as they come up.

Almost got caught with an issue because I almost never bother looking at the byes.

I'll say this. I'm paying attention to it for the first time ever. In the Huddle "best ball" league draft and, since it's a draft only league, I won't be able to make waiver moves to cover bye issues as they come up.

Almost got caught with an issue because I almost never bother looking at the byes.

Yeah you really have to pay attention in that case. Or a league with very limited number (or high cost) waivers.

I take bye weeks into account when drafting QB's and TEs. There are enough RB's and WR's that bye weeks aren't much of a factor. I'll draft one defense and one kicker and go to the waiver wire for bye week replacements.

I agree. While I'll look at it for my starter RB/WR I try to not let it affect how I draft.