[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mike Tice wants 1,000 yards each from Matt Forte and Michael Bush

Goopster24

Ummm okkkk....maybe Tice thinks we'll have a hard Chicago winter this year, lol...

http://sports.yahoo....13633--nfl.html

When the Chicago Bears signed Matt Forte to a big new contract in July, Michael Bush, who had just signed with the Bears in March, was worried about his role in the offense. He didn't want to be just a short-yardage back.

But Bears offensive coordinator Mike Tice doesn't see him as that. Tice sees Bush as a 1,000-yard back. He sees him as one of the Bears two 1,000-yard backs, actually. Bush shared Tice's plan with the Chicago Sun-Times:

... when he arrived at Halas Hall for a free-agent visit, Bush was fascinated when new offensive coordinator Mike Tice informed him that he wanted two 1,000-yard running backs.

"He said he wanted to do it,'' Bush recalled Tice saying, "and I said, 'Well, you got the right two people.' "

Both guys are unquestionably capable of a 1,000-yard season if they stay healthy. Forte's done it twice before, and while Bush hasn't, it's mainly because he hasn't had the opportunity. Last year with Oakland, he was just 23 yards short of 1,000, and he got there on 256 carries. He added 37 receptions for 418 yards, too, giving him a total of 1,395 yards from scrimmage. He's got the talent if he gets the touches.

And if things go the way the Bears envision them, the passing game will have defenses backing off and giving up more running room. With Jay Cutler, Devin Hester and new addition Brandon Marshall, they've got more talent in the passing game than they've had in years. Head coach Lovie Smith is still a run-first guy, though.

A team having two 1,000-yard rushers has happened six times in the Super Bowl era, the last being in 2009, when Jonathan Stewart had 1,133 yards and DeAngelo Williams had 1117 for the Carolina Panthers. The year before, Brandon Jacobs and Derrick Ward did it for the New York Giants.

The other 1,000-yard duos are Kevin Mack and Earnest Byner for the Cleveland Browns in 1985, Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier for the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1976, and Larry Csonka and Mercury Morris for the Miami Dolphins in in 1972. The Atlanta Falcons did it in 2006 with a quarterback and a running back, Michael Vick and Warrick Dunn.

The Bears have the running back talent to pull it off. The problem is that so many other things will have to go right for Tice to get his wish. Health is obviously the big concern. Not only will Bush and Forte both have to say healthy, so will the other parts of the offense that will give the Bears some running room ‒ that means Cutler, the receivers, and the offensive line.

Which quote is that BB? The Bush quote about Tice? That's from a local article yesterday...forgive me if I missed something. This is a national post...

That quote was not from yesterday

". when he arrived at Halas Hall for a free-agent visit, Bush was fascinated when new offensive coordinator Mike Tice informed him that he wanted two 1,000-yard running backs.

"He said he wanted to do it,'' Bush recalled Tice saying, "and I said, 'Well, you got the right two people.' "

When did he first visit Chicago as a free agent?

Sorry, still confused.

The quote from Bush about Tice? It's from this article: http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/14686110-606/despite-upgraded-passing-attack-bears-still-committed-to-run.html

Tice said that to Bush before during the free agent visit. But Bush shared that in the Thursday Sun Times story. No? Where does it say otherwise? Just curious, again, sorry if I'm wrong.

Sorry, still confused.

The quote from Bush about Tice? It's from this article: http://www.suntimes....ted-to-run.html

Tice said that to Bush before during the free agent visit. But Bush shared that in the Thursday Sun Times story. No? Where does it say otherwise? Just curious, again, sorry if I'm wrong.

"So when he arrived at Halas Hall for a free-agent visit, Bush..."

“He said he wanted to do it,’’ Bush recalled Tice saying, “and I said, ‘Well, you got the right two people.’ ”

Show me where that quote is from and when it was published before.

It's written in past tense because he's sharing a story from the past; most articles are written in past tense, lol, look at ESPN headlines or any website.

I haven't seen this quote in Chicago media. Might have missed it, but it's getting pub here. So it seems new.... :shrug:

Edited by Goopster24

Okay, let me take a shot at this:

Read the 1st paragraph of your quoted story in your OP.

It says when Forte was signed to his new contract in July, Bush was worried that he'd just be a short yardage back. Then the paragraph goes to present tense and says Tice doesn't see Bush as tha, he sees Bush as a 1000 yd back. Then as support for Tice's contention a story is quoted from when Bush was being wooed by CHI prior to Bush's signing as a FA that Tice told Bush at that time that he wanted two 1000 yd backs. But that was back in March.

The whole paragraph doesn't make any sense.

That "quoted quote" was from the Sun Times article, where Bush talked with Jensen recalling the story from his visit way back yonder; a story/quote that hasn't been shared with anyone in Chicago.

Again, have you seen this quote before? The Chicago radio stations are picking this up and rolling with it. Seems new to me...and to them.

Oh I get what you're saying now Goop. The quote from Tice was back in March (which you understand) but you're saying that no one ever mentioned that before until now. So basically the quote is from over 5 months ago but yesterday was the first we (the public) have ever heard of it.

Do I have it right now?

Show me where that quote is from and when it was published before.

It's written in past tense because he's sharing a story from the past; most articles are written in past tense, lol, look at ESPN headlines or any website.

I haven't seen this quote in Chicago media. Might have missed it, but it's getting pub here. So it seems new.... :shrug:

the article specifies when the conversation took place (during his free agent visit). this really isn't very difficult. Tice said the thing about two 1,000-yard backs back in March when they were trying to sign Bush. the reporter probably spoke with Bush recently, asking about how he sees his role, and Bush conveyed what Tice told him back in March. this is all completely obvious from a straightforward reading of the article, which says Bush recalled Tice saying that.

Is that Bush quote about Tice and two 1k rushers an old quote or did he tell you that story for your story? Thanks, great job.

Sean Jensen@seankjensen

https://twitter.com/guptafour' rel="external nofollow">
in a recent interview with me
Edited by Goopster24