[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dexter McCluster - don't bury him just yet

rattsass

I tried to ignore this, but having watched all the Chiefs preseason games I can't ignore it any more. In PPR leagues, especially where McCluster is designated as an RB, McCluster should be on your radar.

The Chiefs have been using him in the slot and he has been catching just about everything. He is leading the team in receptions for the preseason. I was as down on this guy as anybody as far as being a really helpful fantasy player, but if this is the way the Chiefs are going to use him, he is going to surprise a lot of people. He really seems to be in his element in the slot.

He is being drafted only in larger leagues right now, and there seems to be absolutely no buzz in fantasy circles about this developing situation. But if he performs in the first week of the season the way he has in the preseason there will be a whole lot of teeth gnashing trying to get him on rosters come first waiver period.

Sounds crazy I know. That's why I have resisted saying anything until now. But last night I saw the same movie for the third time, and it ends the same way each time.

I tried to ignore this, but having watched all the Chiefs preseason games I can't ignore it any more. In PPR leagues, especially where McCluster is designated as an RB, McCluster should be on your radar.

The Chiefs have been using him in the slot and he has been catching just about everything. He is leading the team in receptions for the preseason. I was as down on this guy as anybody as far as being a really helpful fantasy player, but if this is the way the Chiefs are going to use him, he is going to surprise a lot of people. He really seems to be in his element in the slot.

He is being drafted only in larger leagues right now, and there seems to be absolutely no buzz in fantasy circles about this developing situation. But if he performs in the first week of the season the way he has in the preseason there will be a whole lot of teeth gnashing trying to get him on rosters come first waiver period.

Sounds crazy I know. That's why I have resisted saying anything until now. But last night I saw the same movie for the third time, and it ends the same way each time.

I concur.

I'm really not following how the RB designation helps him, other than the lack of depth at the position, because really, players like harvin who have the WR designation, but get RB carries too seems more valuable, especially with 3 required WRs. If he's not getting 10+ points consistently, I don't really see how the RB designation helps him. Of course in a flex he could be money, but I'm not following why that matters..

Edited by delusions of grandeur

Maybe the designation doesn't mean all that much, aside from the scarcity of the position. When I did my FFPC draft Friday night (where he is listed at RB) I took DM in round 16. This was after Ronnie Brown, and before guys like Best, Tolbert, Powell, and Ringer. Now McCluster may have been available in round 20 for all I know, but I felt that was the place to grab him just to be safe.

I guess the boon with taking him as an RB is that if he turns out to be a consistent slot performer,even if it is only 10 pts a week, that is still better than you could probably expect from anybody else from that group. So I would consider him bonus RB depth that you could actually use later in the draft, which is pretty hard to come by.