[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is your draft strategy, round by round?

Dre180

Hey all,

Just wanted to get a gauge on how you would typically draft, round by round. I think this year is a lot tougher than those in the past, due to a major scarcity at RB.

As for Myself I refuse to draft a QB first round, so I don't leave myself a major void at rb/wr. Also there are a surplus of very good Qb's to fil in later rounds IMO. Curious to hear everyones strategy as i'm having a tough time deciding on an approach for my upcoming draft tuesday...

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

There are WAY too many variables involved to give you a blanket answer. Like most, it depends on league size, starting requirements and scoring system. This year, however, I have let the draft come to me and have not been afraid to shift gears at a moments notice.

Don't refuse to draft a QB first round, that is non-sense. If your'e sitting at the back-end and rodgers is there take em. I don't think anyone spends much time thinking about a round-by-round strategy. I just make a list of guys I am high on and low on (targets/avoids) and bring that with, along with a cheat sheet and knowledge.

lol. I know you can't have a dead set strategy. It all depends on the league, scoring, how they draft etc. Just meant maybe some of you have a general rule of thumb. I just did a mock with mine, and even though it was 14 teams, my roster still came out killer.

As for drafting a QB in the 1st, Rodgers will never last til late first round. Most drafts i've been in the last few years, teams that took the Q early never won squat. I'm pretty dead set on never taking a QB in the first. I think in a year where RB is in decline, if you can get a nice RB1 coupled with say a fred jackson or someone similar, that is a major advantage IMO. To me, I'd rather have a nice RB/Wr combo and pick up a Romo then draft Rodgers with a mediocre rb/wr tandem. Just my opinion

I'm with ya on waiting for a QB this year since it's so gosh darn deep, but if I can snag Rodgers/Brees/Brady/Newton/Stafford lower than their ADP I do it. After those 5 I wait a long time.

Drafts are to fluid for one draft strategy...you should have multiple plans ready that you know you will turn to if and when a draft breaks a different way...and I hate to "let the draft come to me"...would much rather dictate instead.

Draft the players you believe will score the most points ... :ninja:

:nono:

My strategy: value, value, value. It's all about value. Know your scoring and line-up requirements and draft, yes, the players you think will score the most points, as late as you think you can get them. If you've got a few pet picks, sure, go ahead and reach a bit. But don't make a habit of it.

Look at previous year's ADPs and see how many picks are misses. That's all you need to know about muddying the waters with getting cute or worrying about filling out your starting line-up before others do or any other "strategy". The simple fact is, you're going to miss on players.

Don't pass up what you feel is a great value at RB in the 4th just because you already have 2 (or even 3). If you did that last year and one of your RBs was Mendenhall, whom you took in the 1st, guess what? You weren't as set at RB as you thought you were. So, if you passed on what you thought was a good value at RB in the 4th and settled for a WR because you thought you needed one, you could be stuck with starting sucky Mendenhall and some mediocre WR.

Meanwhile, there are going to be literally dozens of worthwhile starters who will not get drafted, each and every year in any but the absolute largest leagues. So don't draft your team like you're putting together your week 1 line-up.

My strategy: value, value, value. It's all about value. Know your scoring and line-up requirements and draft, yes, the players you think will score the most points, as late as you think you can get them. If you've got a few pet picks, sure, go ahead and reach a bit. But don't make a habit of it.

Look at previous year's ADPs and see how many picks are misses. That's all you need to know about muddying the waters with getting cute or worrying about filling out your starting line-up before others do or any other "strategy". The simple fact is, you're going to miss on players.

Don't pass up what you feel is a great value at RB in the 4th just because you already have 2 (or even 3). If you did that last year and one of your RBs was Mendenhall, whom you took in the 1st, guess what? You weren't as set at RB as you thought you were. So, if you passed on what you thought was a good value at RB in the 4th and settled for a WR because you thought you needed one, you could be stuck with starting sucky Mendenhall and some mediocre WR.

Meanwhile, there are going to be literally dozens of worthwhile starters who will not get drafted, each and every year in any but the absolute largest leagues. So don't draft your team like you're putting together your week 1 line-up.

This. Ignoring value and drafting by perception is foolhardy and a sure way to get a mediocre team at best. Sure - factor in ADP in anticipating when guys are going to go so that you don't overdraft your guys by a substantial amount, but value is where it's at bottom line.

That's why your no-1st round QB rule is foolhardy.

+1

TO add to that I also draft the way the league runs meaning that I know the guys in my league and how they generally draft. I do take that into consideration as I know the Steelers homer will not pass on a specific Steeler player. By doing that I can at times pass on a guy when debating between 2 players and still end up with both of them because he won't be picked by a specific owner because they have that urge to get "their" guy.

I really would have liked Graham or Gronk, but I drafted 11th and was not in position to take either of them. Early 2nd is too early IMO and they were gone by the time it came back to me. Then once Gates and Hernandez were gone, the next block of TEs were not worth reaching for, especially compared to the RB and WR values that were falling in my lap. I ended up with Olsen in the 12th and Rudolph in the 14th. Two guys that aren't ranked in the top 12 anywhere, but have upside. Did I plan to wait that long for a TE? Hell no. But the rest of my roster is beastly and I can always trade with the guy who ends up with a surprise stud #2 TE, if necessary.

• Like 1

My strategy this year was not to focus on ADP and to get the players I want, period. I had my two keepers and drafted Doug Martin with my first pick (technically third round) and got CHIPS AHOY! from everyone. If that wasn't enough, I drafted Maclin with my next pick and once again everyone boo'd! But those are the guys I wanted based solely on what I see them doing this year and not because what other people are drafting them at. Since the draft both have moved up in ADP by at least a single round.

Office league draft last night. 12 team performance scoring with some odd bonuses that really enhance QB value. Sitting in the 4 hole and looking to go top QB in the first and see if one of the top 2 TEs drops to me at 2.09.

Rest of the league picks up on the QB value so Rodgers and Brady go 1/2. Got Brees at 4, Gronk at 2.09 at the second TE off the board, and was shocked at the fallen value at the skills.

I've never gone QB/TE to open any FF draft, but if there was a year to do it this is it. Tons of value at R-B and WR in the early to late middle rounds this year.

I went Brees - Graham 1-2 in Dash-4. Never have done that either. I actually have never drafted a QB in the 1st Round in that League since I've been in it, which I think started with '06

Here's how I conduct my draft.

First thing, you make shots for everyone before the draft starts, a few of them. Considering everyone is already about three beers in before the draft starts, this really sets them up to about a six pack.

Since the first round can almost be guessed a week before the draft this really has no affect on that, but somewhere in the middle of the first round you break out the liquor. People can really start pounding the drinks and doubly as I sit there and take my time making my first selection.

Next, we have a couple people in our league who like the Josh Gordon and a few others who will smoke on rare occassions. So you start talking to the potheads about how nice it would be to toke up. They'll go outside while I'm screwing around trying to make up mind for my second pick and burn one, inevitably a few others will go with them.

By the end of the second round I have manged to get roughly 7 of the 12 pretty messed up. Now it's time to work on the other 2 that actually have any clue on drafting.

One of them has a weakness for red bull and vodka and jager bombs, I break those out. The other guy likes pills, so I break out a couple of those that I have left over from a kidney stone a few years ago, yeah they're old but still a little potent.

We're probably into the 4th round by this point and all but myself and the two guys that can't draft for sh!t are impaired. Now, it is pretty easy to get a good team through the first 5 to 6 rounds, so we all look pretty good. After round 6 take a break, the potheads go back out, I make more shots and I start pointing to imagined weaknesses in the other teams, pointing to areas where they need to shore up their roster.

While they are all smoking, drinking, peeing I then replace their cheat sheets with one that I printed up. They being too messed up to see clearly, especially in rounds 8 through 16 start picking directly off this sheet in the order that players are ranked, this really messes up the depth on their bench.

• Like 1

Here's how I conduct my draft.

First thing, you make shots for everyone before the draft starts, a few of them. Considering everyone is already about three beers in before the draft starts, this really sets them up to about a six pack.

Since the first round can almost be guessed a week before the draft this really has no affect on that, but somewhere in the middle of the first round you break out the liquor. People can really start pounding the drinks and doubly as I sit there and take my time making my first selection.

Next, we have a couple people in our league who like the Josh Gordon and a few others who will smoke on rare occassions. So you start talking to the potheads about how nice it would be to toke up. They'll go outside while I'm screwing around trying to make up mind for my second pick and burn one, inevitably a few others will go with them.

By the end of the second round I have manged to get roughly 7 of the 12 pretty messed up. Now it's time to work on the other 2 that actually have any clue on drafting.

One of them has a weakness for red bull and vodka and jager bombs, I break those out. The other guy likes pills, so I break out a couple of those that I have left over from a kidney stone a few years ago, yeah they're old but still a little potent.

We're probably into the 4th round by this point and all but myself and the two guys that can't draft for sh!t are impaired. Now, it is pretty easy to get a good team through the first 5 to 6 rounds, so we all look pretty good. After round 6 take a break, the potheads go back out, I make more shots and I start pointing to imagined weaknesses in the other teams, pointing to areas where they need to shore up their roster.

While they are all smoking, drinking, peeing I then replace their cheat sheets with one that I printed up. They being too messed up to see clearly, especially in rounds 8 through 16 start picking directly off this sheet in the order that players are ranked, this really messes up the depth on their bench.

Mormons would kick ass in your league.

I can't answer this without knowing the draft position. In the later rounds, if I'm drafting in the first three spots or the last three spots, I will hold off on a position if I know that the people between myself and my next pick isn't likely to draft the position.

First round I usually try to get the best player that I can.

2nd round I usually try to get the best player that I can.

3rd round and later I will see how many players that are startable remain at each position and I try to draft a position before the position is depleted with talent.