[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wilson named week #1 starter for Seahawks

Lloyd Dobler

Would it be wise to use my backup QB in jay cutler as trade bait (along with some WR) and pickup Wilson? Starter is Brady. 6 team league.

6 team league?!?!? Wilson probably isn't worth owning at all until he proves himself as fantasy legit in the regular season for you then.

For fantasy purposes, I wonder if Wilson at QB opens things up further for Marshawn Lynch ("Hold mah diiiiiiiiiiick")?

When Vick is healthy it opens up the field for McCoy to run - maybe a similar thing could happen with Wilson and Lynch. I guess the difference would be that Lynch doesn't get a lot of receptions, which is where you'd think the benefit to the RB of a running QB would be greatest.

I don't know much about Wilson and look forward to seeing him play.

I would think that it benefits the Seahawk tight ends most. Won't most teams use a linebacker to spy on Wilson to keep him from taking off, thus leaving the middle of the field open?

I actually think Lynch is the one who will be helping Wilson. With the Seahawks committing to the run and Lynch in beast mode, I see a whole lot of long pass plays off play action. :pickle:

I don't remember where I read it, if it was in an article here, on EPSN, Rotowire... but the quote was "He's(Wilson) out-RGIIIing RGIII right now".

I know rotoworld is high on him. They were saying he would make a high upside QB2 which I think is generous right now. I'm gonna do a wait and see how he plays 1st week before I make a move for him, if at all.

He looks really good. If he were 6'2",everyone would be going gaga over him right now. Not saying he's gonna be like last year's Cam Newton kind of breakout, but maybe Cam-lite. I think he will put up solid numbers,definitely worth a stash and see what happens.

Something that may be overlooked with Wilson is that Wisconsin plays a pro set on O and uses more of a pro O philosophy, which better prepares QBs for the NFL than college spread Os run from a shotgun set. WIS QBs have to get under center, make their D reads, have the same interval with RBs, have to learn the same footwork and form as QBs do in the pros. The O-lines are usually enormous, which means QBs have to set up their throwing lanes just like the NFL. I think that's why you sometimes see even mediocre WIS QBs sticking in the NFL well beyond what their skill set would allow.

Guys like Sorgi and Bollinger has pro careers that far outpaced their raw ability - and I personally think it is because these guys are pro-ready and don't need to change their games significantly for the NFL. Tolzien seems to be making a decent impression right now in SF and may beat out Harbaugh favorite Josh Johnson. When coaches don't have a lot of time to spend with backup/scout team QBs during the regular season, these guys can competently and comfortably play in pro sets.

That may set the table better for Wilson to hang in there and compete pretty well this year.

Would it be wise to use my backup QB in jay cutler as trade bait (along with some WR) and pickup Wilson? Starter is Brady. 6 team league.

I'll buy you a soda if you can manage to trade Cutler in a 10 team league, let alone a 6 team. I hope for the sake of your teammates that all of them have a good enough QB that Cutler would be their back-up.

Something that may be overlooked with Wilson is that Wisconsin plays a pro set on O and uses more of a pro O philosophy, which better prepares QBs for the NFL than college spread Os run from a shotgun set. WIS QBs have to get under center, make their D reads, have the same interval with RBs, have to learn the same footwork and form as QBs do in the pros. The O-lines are usually enormous, which means QBs have to set up their throwing lanes just like the NFL. I think that's why you sometimes see even mediocre WIS QBs sticking in the NFL well beyond what their skill set would allow.

Guys like Sorgi and Bollinger has pro careers that far outpaced their raw ability - and I personally think it is because these guys are pro-ready and don't need to change their games significantly for the NFL. Tolzien seems to be making a decent impression right now in SF and may beat out Harbaugh favorite Josh Johnson. When coaches don't have a lot of time to spend with backup/scout team QBs during the regular season, these guys can competently and comfortably play in pro sets.

That may set the table better for Wilson to hang in there and compete pretty well this year.

Fair enough, and I'm certainly not going to dispute this. However, pertaining to my comments about how amazed I am that nobody is taking heat in Raleigh for showing Wilson the door, he looked pretty nice down here. Not like he did last year, though having a good O-line and a stable of RBs can sure buy a fellow some time to shine. But he was NC State football.

Then O'Brian played hardball, and Wilson's story from there was a classic example of falling up. In fact, I can't imagine a more glaring story.

"Sorry kid, my way or the highway."

"Guess I'll go to a way better team, contend on the national stage while getting Heisman run, then get drafted way higher than anyone would have expected prior to that season, and be a week 1 starter my rookie year."

And, again, this was not some problem kid with a checkered past or a "me me" cancer. From virtually every account I've read, the kid is a class act.

6 team league?!?!? Wilson probably isn't worth owning at all until he proves himself as fantasy legit in the regular season for you then.

I don't know, I took him as my QB #3 in a 2 QB league, 12 person.

I am also planning on taking him in my other 12 person (1 QB) league. He's worth a roster spot IMO

I don't know, I took him as my QB #3 in a 2 QB league, 12 person.

I am also planning on taking him in my other 12 person (1 QB) league. He's worth a roster spot IMO

In a 6-team league?!?! Taking him as the 25th-36th QB off the board in a 2QB 12-team league is one thing, taking him as the 7th-12th best QB as a QB2 in a 6-team league is an entirely different animal.

I've got Stafford in a 10 team redraft/auction without a backup QB. We have Russell, Fitzpatrick, Flacco and Locker on the WW. I'm leaning towards Russell based on his running/passing ability, Seatle's solid OL, decent WR corp, Lynch, and weak division. If there is anyone that will suprise this year, I think it's Russell or Locker.

In a 6-team league?!?! Taking him as the 25th-36th QB off the board in a 2QB 12-team league is one thing, taking him as the 7th-12th best QB as a QB2 in a 6-team league is an entirely different animal.

Truth, I didn't notice the 6-team, I agree with you. 6 Team leagues are pretty ghey.

When ESPN radio took over AM 710 here in Seattle, they hired Cowherd to host the morning show for them. I guess they were thinking he's from Washington state and would go over well here. Not so much. He didn't last long. Hosts from the other, long established sports talk station in Seattle referred to him as Colin Blowhard.

When ESPN radio took over AM 710 here in Seattle, they hired Cowherd to host the morning show for them. I guess they were thinking he's from Washington state and would go over well here. Not so much. He didn't last long. Hosts from the other, long established sports talk station in Seattle referred to him as Colin Blowhard.

Stay classy radio hosts!

Thanks for expressing my exact thoughts completely accurately yet again.

Dude, I was messing with you, but you did say this...

Well, I'm a fan of both Flynn and Wilson. I would absolutely say that Wilson earned it through merit rather than Flynn losing the job through poor play. I though Flynn moved the team well and would have looked better if he weren't saddled with trying to force passes to TO to see if he could still play. Owens dropped a long TD pass that Flynn put on the money, and Owens misran several routes - most notably back shoulder throws by Flynn that were right on the mark but that Owens failed to make any adjustment for but rather continued on his downfield route.

I'm disappointed that Flynn won't get his chance because I do think he'll do well as a starter in the NFL, and I also think Wilson may have benefited significantly from watching and learning a bit. But I also hope Wilson does very well. I've got some strong mixed feelings on this.

Dude, I was messing with you, but you did say this...

Yeah, and I said this immediately before it, which you conveniently missed (as usual):

Well, I'm a fan of both Flynn and Wilson. I would absolutely say that Wilson earned it through merit rather than Flynn losing the job through poor play.

And then this 2 posts later:

My point being that if Owens does his job and Flynn completes those passes, the difference between Flynn and Wilson might not look so glaring. But again - I'll repeat it - I'd say Wilson earned the job rather than Flynn losing it. Some of his plays were eye-popping.

But that's okay, I expect no less. Maybe you can respond to this with some completely unrelated whining about O'Brian at NC St like you did earlier.