[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wilson named week #1 starter for Seahawks

Lloyd Dobler

Yeah, and I said this immediately before it, which you conveniently missed (as usual):

And then this 2 posts later:

But that's okay, I expect no less. Maybe you can respond to this with some completely unrelated whining about O'Brian at NC St like you did earlier.

Great, so you gave props to Wilson. Right before you said Flynn would have looked better had it not been for TO. How is that not blaming TO?

We see what you did. In one post, you tried to squirm off the hook for saying Flynn was going to be the hotness but ended up not even beating out an undersized rookie. Additionally, you tried to illustrate the unintended consequences of a team with no really good WR talent currently on its roster figuring it had little to lose with giving TO a shot. Because surely the coaches would not be able to see that Flynn made a great recognition and placed the ball exactly where he was supposed to.

I must say. Well played.

ETA: and kindly notice that I posted your quote in full, simply bolding the section I was referring to.

Edited by detlef

I'm sure the coaching staff didn't blindly look at his completion percentage...if the throw was where it should have been and when etc...then that's what the coaches want to see...QB can't make someone catch the ball.

Exactly and last night 2 dropped passes were right on the players hands. He throws a high ball and even at Wisconsin with 6'6 and 6'7 linemen passes were rarely blocked.

Flynn had one good game that made him a lot of money and maybe he should give part of that to Jordy Nelson. He only started 2 games and coming out of college was panned as not being very good.

The Lions game last year was special but he was given a lot of money based on one good game(his other start I didn't think was very good).

Maybe he wasn't that good a starter after all? I guess time will tell. I'm sure Carroll will allow him to compete for the job.

A couple quick points. The back-shoulder throw is essentially an option route. If the WR is pulling even and is about to run by the CB, the correct throw is the deep one. Flynn didn't think TO was going to blow by the corner, which he clearly was in the process of doing if you watch the replays, and opted to throw the back shoulder throw instead. One of the two was the O-coordinator's fault, as you can't run this route inside the 30 yard line or so, as there just wasn't enough room for TO to get over the top. But if you look at the tape, on both of those plays, TO made the right read. Flynn just didn't have confidence that TO was going to get past the CB. The coordinator and Flynn get a much higher percentage of the blame than TO does.

As far as a "pro style" offense, Wilson took snaps from under center. That is the only pro thing about their passing game. You could count on one hand every game the amount of plays where Wilson was asked to sit in the pocket and make reads. It was play-action naked all game long except when he went into the shotgun, where he primarily ran. Now, this offense equates more closely to the Seahawks offense than possibly any other offense in the NFL, but to say that the Wisconsin offense resembled a normal pro passing offense in any way is quite a stretch.