[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

MJD holdout to extend into regular season?

tazinib1

per Adam Scheffer, there are zero signs that MJD is going to report before week 1 and that the holdout could very well extend into the regular season. I don't get it. He has zero legs to stand on unless he is trying to force a trade. Even if he does report, he has allowed Rashad Jennings to grab a foothold on major playing time. Take into account that he's more than likely not in football shape, the odds of him making any kind of impact for fantasy owners the first 3-4 weeks of the season are slim. I took a shot at him this year and now I regret it.

I just took a shot with him at 23rd pick. Then some JELLY BEAN drafts Jennings in the 5th round. I wanted to reach through my computer and knock him out. Now I am working on a 3 team deal for him. Also...for whatever reason, of all the ESPN "analysts" the one who seems like he is making stuff up for a story is Schefter. I don't know why but I never believe him. But i am praying for a resolution to this soon...

Funny I thought I saw a report on Sunday on ESPN scroll that said he would be reporting this week and maybe play a little in the last pre-season game, or ast least for the season opener.

Did a quick search and not finding anything to back it up. All I see is a few stories that say "accoridng to NFL rumors he could report..."

Did see that he CANNOT play in last pre-season game even if he reports today, since the new CBA doesn't allow players to put pads on until 4 days after reporting.

Agreed he has little-to-no leverage, and is only hurting himself.

I'm debating to pull the trigger on MJD in my upcoming draft. He still has value at the right spot.

That said, the longer this goes, the more value Jennings has and his round selection is rising. The question is, if you take Jones Drew, when do you take Jennings.

If it was today, and I saw MJD in rd3, I'd take Jennings in rd5 just to avoid crazy trade proposals like Lippy a couple posts back. You should be able to create a good core with 1st, 2nd, 4th round plus MJD/Jennings, even though it costs you a 5th rounder.

Call me crazy but I think this will all just blow over and I didn't draft MJD in many leagues at all. Sure, he may not come out on fire and Jennings will be involved but it's only a matter of (short) time that MJD just does what he do and that's dominate.

MJD was the rushing champ last year and he has two years left on his contract. He has said "the NFL is supposed to pay for performance" and he did perform. His value is probably as high right now as it will ever be. He has plenty of money already so this holdout doesn't hurt him financially. It is as much about respect as anything. The Jags refuse to deal with him and MJD does not feel he has any reason to deal with them if they will not observe what he has done and how much he has outplayed other backs. It does not help that several other top backs cashed in big in the offseason.

I have ranked MJD back enough that he will get drafted by someone else before someone following the cheatsheet would take him because I honestly think this goes into the season. I would say at least three games and really - who knows. I would not touch MJD myself.

The only shocking thing is that he was in a big celebrity fantasy draft and picked him with the first pick in the draft. So he is only screwing his chances to win that league. :thinking:

MJD was the rushing champ last year and he has two years left on his contract. He has said "the NFL is supposed to pay for performance" and he did perform. His value is probably as high right now as it will ever be. He has plenty of money already so this holdout doesn't hurt him financially. It is as much about respect as anything. The Jags refuse to deal with him and MJD does not feel he has any reason to deal with them if they will not observe what he has done and how much he has outplayed other backs. It does not help that several other top backs cashed in big in the offseason.

I have ranked MJD back enough that he will get drafted by someone else before someone following the cheatsheet would take him because I honestly think this goes into the season. I would say at least three games and really - who knows. I would not touch MJD myself.

The only shocking thing is that he was in a big celebrity fantasy draft and picked him with the first pick in the draft. So he is only screwing his chances to win that league. :thinking:

But isn't this the classic example of a guy getting a front-loaded contract (which, given the fact that they can be cut at any time and not paid, I completely agree with demanding), only to then complain about the relatively small per-year at the back end? What would his true salary be if you amortized the signing bonus into the next two years?

You want to get paid for being the rushing champ? Sounds great, build an incentive into your contract that does that. Problem solved.

I agree with DMD. Yes, MJDs contract was front loaded making him one of the highest paid rbs for the first 2-3 years of his contract. MJD in turn played like a top 3-4 rb each and every year of that contract including last year when he was the rushing champ on arguably one of the worst offences in the NFL.

I understand the purpose of a front loaded contract was to hedge some of Jax risk that MJD would flame out in years 3-5. But since MJD has actually outperformed his contract, I think Jax should recognize that thier concerns weren't warranted and pay MJD like the top 3-4 rb he is.

I agree with DMD. Yes, MJDs contract was front loaded making him one of the highest paid rbs for the first 2-3 years of his contract. MJD in turn played like a top 3-4 rb each and every year of that contract including last year when he was the rushing champ on arguably one of the worst offences in the NFL.

I understand the purpose of a front loaded contract was to hedge some of Jax risk that MJD would flame out in years 3-5. But since MJD has actually outperformed his contract, I think Jax should recognize that thier concerns weren't warranted and pay MJD like the top 3-4 rb he is.

Why should they pay him for his past performances? Aren't contracts supposed to be paid based on future production? The fact that by the time Jax is relevant MJD will most likely be gone means there really is no reason for JAX to pay him at all.

That's not why they're front loaded. They're front loaded because the players insist that they do so. It's the way around the fact that the contract is not guaranteed.

Trust me, it is not in the team's favor to front load them. Because, if they're back-loaded and the player ends up sucking, they just cut him anyway.

Ok so MJD has money, and holding out doesn't hurt him financially. What will come of holding out? If he doesn't report he loses that year towards free agency from what I understand. He cannot just come back week 10 like guys have done in the past. So he sits out, and gets paid nothing, while still being under a 2 year contract with the Jags. What changes at the beginning of 2013?

He is expecting the Jags to flinch and offer him a bigger deal, they have no reason to do that since as some say he's going to be washed up before they are relevant again.

Like deltef said

"What would his true salary be if you amortized the signing bonus into the next two years?"

I'd like to see that, and see it compared to the same figure for other top backs, including those that recently signed fat deals. Is he really that underpaid? Or are some of those guys just overpaid (DWill, CJ, etc.)

Why should they pay him for his past performances? Aren't contracts supposed to be paid based on future production? The fact that by the time Jax is relevant MJD will most likely be gone means there really is no reason for JAX to pay him at all.

I think contracts are based on a combination of rewarding past performances and paying for future production. You're salesman A who has been with the company for 3 years of a 5 year contract. You exceeded the company's expectations for sales during those 3 years, but is scheduled to recieve less money over the final 2 years of your contract despite projections that your future sales will continue at a high level for 3 more years. Then comes along salesman B who has performed equally well at a competing company over the past 3 years but now he's interviewing for your spot. Do you pay salesman A or B more? As an employer do you reward past performances at your company? As an employer do you value the perception of an employer rewarding their own? I think you do but that's just me.

I think contracts are based on a combination of rewarding past performances and paying for future production. You're salesman A who has been with the company for 3 years of a 5 year contract. You exceeded the company's expectations for sales during those 3 years, but is scheduled to recieve less money over the final 2 years of your contract despite projections that your future sales will continue at a high level for 3 more years. Then comes along salesman B who has performed equally well at a competing company over the past 3 years but now he's interviewing for your spot. Do you pay salesman A or B more? As an employer do you reward past performances at your company? As an employer do you value the perception of an employer rewarding their own? I think you do but that's just me.

In the real world, you're not rewarded for past performance so much as yout past performance is used as an indicator of future performance. If that past performance is good, then the assumption is that your future will be good. Rewards come in the form of bonuses.

But sure, there's something to be said for taking care of loyal employees. Cuts down on turnover.

More importantly, unlike a RB, a salesman is not going to physically break down when he's 30. Jacksonville has no interest in keeping MJD around for 10 or more years because he's not going to be good at the end of that time.

Also, the player can't have it both ways. They can't demand front-loaded contracts (did you understand where you were wrong in saying that front-loading is something good for the team?), and then come back and expect to be rewarded for doing well. MJD had Jax where he wanted them a few years ago, when he was young and exploded with some amazing seasons.

That was his time to get paid, and he basically did. Maybe he should have tried to get more back then?

But the shoe is on the other foot now. His current contract is due to expire at about the same time as his efficacy, so he's kind of stuck.

Edited by detlef

Detlef,

I don't think I was definitively wrong when I said that front loaded contracts can be good for the team. That's exactly what the Redskins and Cowboys did and they were penalized 40-10M for it. There are a reasons why a team would front load a players contract to their advantage (salary cap etc)

Detlef,

I don't think I was definitively wrong when I said that front loaded contracts can be good for the team. That's exactly what the Redskins and Cowboys did and they were penalized 40-10M for it. There are a reasons why a team would front load a players contract to their advantage (salary cap etc)

Say you're the owner of a team with a great player who wants a big contract. He says, "Listen, I don't care how you structure it, I wan't $50 million over 5 years with none of it attached to incentives." You agree provided you can structure it as you choose.

Do you:

1) Give him a $25 million signing bonus and $5 mil per year

2) Just give him $10 mil per year for all 5 years

Either way, the cap hit is $10 mil/year because the bonus is amortized through the contract for cap purposes. Only, because contracts are not guaranteed, you have far less exposure by not giving all that money up front. If dude starts to fall off by year 4, you just send him packing and save the $20 mil. In the first choice, you're just saving $10 mil over the same period of time.

So, when you said that front-loading "hedged the team's risk", exactly the opposite is true. They're exposing themselves to more risk because, in the example I provided, they're basically paying half the dude's promised salary for all five years before they even happen. Saying nothing of the cash-flow issues with doing so.

Sure, if they front-load it without the bonus and just make the 1st year salary insanely high, they risk less dead cap space, but at the expense of having that entire nut dropped on the first year of the contract, which would be way worse and cripple their ability to run their team in the 1st year of the contract. Assuming they even had the room to do so.

Edited by detlef

I would hope he gets traded, that way I have 2 starting RB in my money league, mjd and jennings :brow:

Careful, in the event Jacksonville trades MJD away, they are likely to attempt grabbing a runningback in the deal that will create a platoon scenario for the Jaguars.

Or pick someone up... like Ryan Grant, Tiki Barber, Priest Holmes, or Thurman Thomas.