[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tight ends this year: R E S P E C T

Thews40

Graham before Brees is a mistake IMO, but both should be money.

Hernandez is this year's Gronk... both worthy, but the draft value is with Hernandez.

Vernon Davis is money and will exceed expectations IMO.

Gates won't finish the season IMO... just sayin'. SD is going to crash and the ship will have few value players.

Witten is undervalued IMO and will be a top 4.

The rest of the TE's ... meh. Grab two with a top 6 QB and sacrifice the RB slot with top WR's... we'll see.

This is something that people seem to be missing about Gronkowski this year that have a lot of people moving him down in FF drafts - if his production from last year (which was admittedly ridiculous but was due to the incredibly one-sided mismatches he creates and not due to some fluke) were cut by 1/3rd, he would have still been the 2nd best FF TE by a long shot. That's about as safe as one can get. I know Graham and Hernandez are sexy picks this year, but Gronk is being way undervalued this year by many, IMO.

This is something that people seem to be missing about Gronkowski this year that have a lot of people moving him down in FF drafts - if his production from last year (which was admittedly ridiculous but was due to the incredibly one-sided mismatches he creates and not due to some fluke) were cut by 1/3rd, he would have still been the 2nd best FF TE by a long shot. That's about as safe as one can get. I know Graham and Hernandez are sexy picks this year, but Gronk is being way undervalued this year by many, IMO.

He went top 12 in 3 of my leagues and top 20 in the other 2. And part of why Hernandez is a "sexy pick" is because it's one you can make several rounds later. Edited by detlef

JerMichael Finley, I hope he has a great season. I have him as backup TE to gronk and hope to put him as Flex

Finley has the most upside IMO to really make an impact. The more passing weapons a team has, the more coverage is used to defend them. Passing teams like NE, GB and NO with top QB's set the stage to see the WR's covered and the TE open in the middle. SD is going to too one-dimensional to give Gates the same opportunity as all the WR's are hurt and won't demand the coverage. In a nutshell, if Finley can stay healthy, he should be money. The reason I like Vernon this year is the upgrade to the WR's.

Teams like the Vikings just aren't going to score that much, so to call a TE on a team that a dark horse when they go three-and-out constantly just doesn't afford the opportunity. With Gronk/Hernandez, they both need to be covered. Get burned a few times with the WR's and it leaves Brady with two options in the middle. Dink and dunk with a lot of PPR's and it adds up.

The point of this, is that outside of the top TE's, the drop off is steep. You'll get an occasional good game and a score, but what's the delta between a good RB and bad TE vs. a top TE and a serviceable RB? Pick up the good TE's and there will be teams that have to start marginal ones. The flipside to this, is that if injury strikes and you have two, you'll always have stinky bait.

Edited by Thews40

It all comes down to what you believe will happen with top scoring TEs, how much the delta will be for the top 2-3 over the ones behind them. And how much those players are going to cost you.

Looking at my leauge (no PPR, 1pt/10yds, 6pt TD) the top 5 scoring TE in 2012 were

Gronk 232

Graham 188

Hernandez 124

Gonzo 121

Finley 120

followed by Witten, Gates, Davis, Celek, and many others with no big dropoffs until you get to Pettigrew with 99 then F. Davis with 88

So there's a huge drop off 1-2 and 2-3, after that very little. So while having Gronk or Graham may be a big advantage over the others, you'll have lesser RB/WR than others and lose some points there. Interesting how the analysis by Thews40 above labels the TE as "bad" but the RB as servicable in the comparison of the two players you get based on what kind of TE you go for. I'd argue that the TE you get with the "good RB" is more serviceable than the RB you get with the top TE. Especially since if you pass on the top TE you probably aren't taking one until several rounds later, after you've been drafting your RB/WR/QB slots.

Not sure about that. WAS seemed in the preseason to make a strong committment to utilizing RG's strengths and streching the field. Garcon got a lot of love. On the other hand Davis got almost completely ignored.

We'll see but I'm seeing a hugh shift in O philosophy there

Have people actually drafted Graham before Bees?

In FFPC leagues, where TE's get 1.5 PPR (compared to 1 PPR for RB and WR); Graham and Gronk are going mid first round and before any WRs not named Calvin Johnson (and Graham is going in front of him sometime). Brees is typically going mid 2nd with 4/.04 scoring.

Not sure about that. WAS seemed in the preseason to make a strong committment to utilizing RG's strengths and streching the field. Garcon got a lot of love. On the other hand Davis got almost completely ignored.

We'll see but I'm seeing a hugh shift in O philosophy there

Read today that Davis lack of involvement was due to their tryijng to develop Niles Paul. Cant imagine a talent like Davis just goes to waste. I still think Davis is a great value at TE. Might not be top 5, but certainly should be top 10.