[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Auctions v Snake

detlef

So much talk about the two and, I think auctions are more fun to be certain. But everyone talks about how they're truly a bigger challenge.

If, by that, you mean it separates the men from the boys, I don't think that's true. In fact, I think they actually save those who aren't very savvy from themselves because it's harder to overpay for guys.

Mostly because someone else has to be willing to risk getting stuck with a guy at a high price to drive the bid.

Take a kicker. I was in 2 drafts this year that had a guy take his kicker way early. Like 5th round or something. That's the equivalent of paying in the mid teens or higher in auction, and that's simply not going to happen, because it takes others pushing the price up. At worst, dude is going to pay $4-5 or something, which is not the end of the world, even if it's $3=4 more than he should.

Suffice to say, everyone is going to pay $3 more than they "should have" for someone during the auction. Otherwise, you're going to risk not getting anyone really good.

Sure, they might botch the dollar derby, throwing out crappy choices that nobody wants, but that's no different than wasting late round picks in a snake.

If, by that, you mean it separates the men from the boys, I don't think that's true. In fact, I think they actually save those who aren't very savvy from themselves because it's harder to overpay for guys.

Mostly because someone else has to be willing to risk getting stuck with a guy at a high price to drive the bid.

That's offset by the fact that it's 11-on-1. Yes, no one will bid on the kicker much more than $5, but there will be more than 5 times throughout the draft that guys end up pushing bid on players you want. The bad players won't know when to stop, the good ones will cut bait and wait for the next opportunity. Without realizing that's how auctions work they get impatient or frustrated and just bid away. It only takes one owner to push him once on each of his 10 core roster spots and he's lost a critical $20 to the field.

They also won't see the traps coming. Peyton Manning is a sucker play. He's a sexy name plus he has some serious weapons. That's all some players will see and they won't curb their bidding based on the added risks. The injury risk is one thing, but there's a lot more that have been discussed here on the forums that many players won't take into account. Shonn Greene? Nevermind that he may never see another red zone touch with Tebow now in town, I'm seeing him go right about where he would go if Tebow were still in Denver. This is a fast way to drop $5 to $10 as well, and it might happen 2-3 times per draft.

Probably in the minority but I prefer a snake draft. I was in an auction league for a couple of seasons and the auction was held in a yahoo chat room that took 7-8 hours. :smashpc: If I ever do another auction league again it'll have to be a live draft. No way the fellas in my local would switch to auction format. Hell, I'm having enough trouble trying to convince them to switch to blind bid waivers.